To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

New modem, now can't get rid of yellow light

1) What version of BitComet are you using? - 1.16

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)? - cable

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What make and model are each one of them? Have you forwarded your port? - modem is Motorola SBG941, I'm using the built-in router. Port is forwarded.

4) If you have more than one router, be sure to mention the make and model of both devices, how are they connected (i.e. in which connector of both devices is the network cable plugged) and which one of the devices is connected to or is the modem.

Also, if you have more than one computer make sure to mention in this case, to which router is every one of them connected. - One computer is directly connected to modem, the other uses a wireless connection. Both have yellow light issues. The computer with the wired connection uses Bitcomet 1.27 64 bit. I'm on the wireless computer using 1.16.

5) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use? - Vista Basic 32 bit, AVG internet security. The wired computer uses Windows 7 64 bit, AVG internet security.

I was having no problems with Bitcomet at my prior address. When I moved, I changed service providers and changed modems. I don't remember what the old modem was. I disabled wireless on my current Motorola modem and used my old Netgear router to see if that would fix the yellow light but it did not so I went back to using the Motorola by itself. I disabled the firewall in the Motorola and forwarded my port (55567). I also disabled wireless encryption.

Edited by adsoyo (see edit history)

The short answer to this is: either your modem is mis-configured or one software firewall on your computers is blocking the port (AVG or another one).

Unknown data:

• has anything changed in the software configuration of your PCs since you moved, or not? (E.g. installing new applications, changing security suites/settings)
  • is Windows Firewall disabled on your PCs or not?
  • is the port open in AVG?

It's not easy to summon a solution to your issue since we're not in front of your equipment and we can't really test and retrieve the info ourselves.

One easy way to narrow down the area of the problem would be to put your modem into bridge mode but I'm not sure if the firmware of this model supports that (check the manual).

Short of that, you may try to borrow a simple cable modem from somebody (with no router included) and see if you still get a blocked port. If you do, then it's your PC at fault.

If you don't then it is your router which is misconfigured.

The basic point to keep in mind while you search, is that you have one or more firewalls blocking incoming internet connections.

That's what firewalls do, what they're for.

• Some hardware, like the Motorola cable gateway and your Netgear router, have firewalls built into their firmware.
  • Windows comes with a software firewall which is active by default. There are third-party software firewalls that run on your computer.
  • Some kinds of internet connection are firewalled. Nearly all kinds of wireless connections are.

Firewalls do not communicate with each other. None of them say, "Active firewall already running here!" to any of the others, so you can have a dozen firewalls and not realize it.

You only need one, so you need to find all of the others and disable them, then configure the one to open your chosen listen port for incoming traffic.

Just to clarify, the Netgear router is out of the equation at this point. I'm using the Motorola modem's wireless capability to access the internet at this point.

Nothing has changed in my settings since the move. I was using Bitcomet with AVG with no problems. Windows firewall is disabled in both computers.

A side note on AVG: I don't see an option to open the specific port, but under the application settings for Bitcomet is says "allow for all" as opposed to "allow for safe", "ask" and "block". But like I said, I was using Bitcomet with no issues before.

To sum up the firewall situation: The only hardware firewall is the Motorola's and I have disabled it. Windows firewall is disabled on both computers. Both computers use AVG which worked fine on my last modem.

I guess that points to a mis-configuration in the Motorola? I'm not looking forward to messing with those settings because when I was trying to get it's wireless to work for me, it seemed like every time I changed something, it would stop all internet completely. The wired computer couldn't even connect. I would have to use the pinhole reset button a few times and unplug it a few times before it would connect again. Even now the wireless signal just stops a few times a day. I don't remember seeing anything about a "bridge mode" but I'll check again.

Do you know what specific settings I should focus on in the Motorola?

Don't want to interrupt, and I haven't read the entire post, but I'll give you a link to a setup guide for your router.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/WR850Gv6.1.4/default.htm

Maybe this might be of help to you.

As TUUS points out above, you should focus on the port forwarding settings, making sure they are done right.

Also check that against the Manual port forwarding section of the BitComet Wiki guide to make sure that all steps are covered (e.g. setting a static IP for your PC in the range of the network used by your current router, etc.).

If you disabled the firewall on the Motorola, then you had nothing to forward a port through.

There is no pro-forma "bridge mode", this simply refers to deactivating the firmware firewall. (Firmware between different manufacturers can use widely different terms to mean the same things.)

One reset, if done properly, returns the device to factory default settings. If it takes more than one, then it's either being done incorrectly or the device is defective.

You say "the wireless signal stops a few times every day". How do you determine that this happened -- what makes you think the signal stops? What do you do to fix it when it happens?

Have you tried re-enabling the WIndows firewall, and disabling AVG's? Do you appear to get an open listen port then? If so, this suggests that AVG's configuration is not the same as it was. Keep in mind that you need a known working firewall.

When I said "the wireless stops a few times a day", I should have said the internet stops a few times a day. Both computers lose their connections frequently. The windows network icon in the lower right gets a red X over it and the internet does not work. I do nothing to fix it, it just reconnects after a few minutes.

I have not tried enabling windows firewall and disabling AVG's but I have disabled AVG without enabling windows so there is no active firewall and I still get a yellow light in Bitcomet. When you say I need a known working firewall does that mean Bitcomet won't work without one? I'm going to call my ISP and see if they can help trouble shoot this modem.

Would I be able to post pictures of my modems settings on here for people to see? Would that help?

Kluelos said you need a firewall simply because without one, you would become infected by some type of malicious connection very quickly.

As for the cutting out problem, that sounds like a router issue so I'd contact their tech support and see if they are of any help. Perhaps there is a new firmware update you can install.

The port issue also sounds like a router issue, but a separate one.

As for posting screenshots, your welcome to, but I don't know if it will help.

ps. I'm sure kluelos and grey wizard will have more thoughts to offer.

Have you tried to follow the guide I've sent you to, in order to see if your port forwarding is done correctly?

This seems like a very probable port forwarding misconfiguration.

But if you're expecting us to do it from here, by looking at the screenshots this is going to take a very long time, since we don't have this model of router at our disposal and can't guide you into the direct menus and specific settings.

Since there already is a guide for your modem model on www.portforward.com, the Wiki guide combined with that should pretty much hold your hand through all the steps.

So try it and report back if you get stuck anywhere.

The internet has been working great all day today, very strange. I haven't called the ISP yet or done anything at all. I figured I'd give Bitcomet a shot since my connection has been fast and hasn't been dropped while surfing and streaming video. Within a second of opening Bitcomet... Green light! It just fixed it self, I hate it when stuff like this happens. I downloaded a 650MB file in a few minutes.

Could the fact that it all of a sudden works be a clue as to what is causing my problems? In an earlier post in this thread I was thinking a mis-configuration with the modem but now that I'm getting a green light without changing anything, I'm thinking firmware or just a generally bad modem.

if the port just suddenly opened on it's own, then I'd say that it was opened by uPnP (universal plug n play). As to why it hadn't worked before, your guess is as good as mine, but you can't argue with success.

As TUUS says, if it suddenly got green all by itself that most probably means that now UPnP works for you and does the mapping job automatically in your stead.

You'll probably want to leave it as it is, since it's working for now.

Except that if UPnP failed you before, there is a good chance that it will fail you again.

When that happens, if you'll want to put an end to it make sure you follow through with the manual forwarding guide, before posting again about this, since you'll be in the same place as you were yesterday and there is nothing new we can tell you until you'll provide the requested data.

You didn't respond to Wiz's questions about port-forwarding.

If you did manage to forward a port, and failed to set a static IP address between your computer(s) and your router, this would cause intermittent connections -- because sometimes, by chance, you happen to get the correct address (where the port is open) assigned to you, and sometimes you get a different address. Green light sometimes, yellow light most times. The address you get is leased, you lose it when the lease expires, or you disconnect, or the router resets. Then you get another lease. It might be the same address, it might not.