To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

LT Seeding upload rate

Hi,

Is it possible to include the LT seeding upload rate as a column in the main task list? It would be nice to know which tasks were taking up the upload bandwidth.

At the moment all I can do is either hover the mouse over the upload size display on the status page for an individual task (GBs/100 don't change very often!!) or monitor the sharing ratios, which don't automatically get updated for tasks that are LT seeding until you click on them, even with the task list real-time sort switched on (should I report that as a bug?).

Thanks.

LTseed won't "take up your upload bandwidth", unless it's not being used. If there are bittorrent tasks that need upload, LTseeed will throttle back and allow the bittorrent peers to have it.

Although it's usually not necessary, you can limit how much LTseed can use as a maximum.

I do like the idea of adding a column to the gui, but I'm not sure how much work it would require, and there is something to be said for making the gui as simple and uncomplicated as possible, so not to overwhelm new users who have no idea what all these stats are.

Perhaps putting the specific LTseed info into a tab in the lower pane would be a better option.

Maybe it could be a column that is hidden by default so that only people that are interested would unhide it. That might be better than adding more info that would always be displayed in the lower pane that maybe not very many people would want to see.

Anyhoo, let's see what the devs think and maybe it will depend on how much work it would be to add it.

I just thought it would make it easier to decide which tasks to keep in the list once they have reached the share ratio limit that I use. if something is doing a lot of LT seeding then it is certainly something I would want to keep.

I agree, more feedback regarding LTseed peers in needed in many aspects, not just the upload rates. There has been a big improvement in this over the recent versions though. We now have individual peer listings for LTseed, separate download stats so we can know how much comes from each source, and real-time download figures. None of this existed when the feature was brand new, so hopefully suggestions like this and others we've submitted will be considered.

Thanks for the suggestion.

There is an advanced option reachable via Options-->Advanced called system.show_debug_info. Activating that will enable another column in the Task List (hidden by default) in which you can see the LTS upload rate for each task.

However that may take some toll on the CPU.

So, you may want to watch that to see how it fares for you.

Excellent, that does exactly what I asked for :-)

Only thing is that it now makes me realise that it would also be nice to have another column for session upload size for those tasks where the LT seeding rate varies a lot or only happens in short bursts.

Another reason for this is that BitComet often reports a much larger upload size than my router. I reset the router and my PC the other night and in the morning the router reported 3.5GB sent but BitComet reckoned nearly 8GB had been uploaded. Does BitComet record the full size of data if the upload is compressed as it goes?

The per session upload size you can find by hovering the mouse over the Upload Size and Download Size, in the Summary tab, for each task.

You'll find the data divided by protocol. The data in front of the parenthesis is the data for the current session while the data inside parenthesis is the data for all sessions since that task was added to the list (global data).

I doubt that the team will consider moving that into columns (it would require 6 columns to cover upload and download for all 3 protocols) since it would further clutter an already full pane.

As for your router, there isn't much I can tell you from here (possibly not even while in front of your router).

Short of knowing exactly WHAT data your router counts, there isn't much sense in comparing the two values.

We know for a fact that BitComet will count data transferred for both transport protocols it uses (UDP and TCP). If you can confirm that your router does the same then you can start observing and comparing the two values. But in case your router counts only data transferred by TCP then the comparison is pointless.

AFAIK there is no compression involved in the proprietary LT-Seeding protocol and the other two (BitTorrent and eDonkey) would have to specify compression negotiation methods and compression alogrithms IN the protocol specifications, in order to be able use it in peer-to-peer connections.

BitTorrent doesn't include that and as far as I can remember neither does eDonkey.