To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

[NEW] mpcstar 5.3 released

There will be an official announcement regarding this soon, so please be patient. In the meantime, you're more then welcome to discuss it here.

ps. One important feature added was that it now supports the obscure .divx video container. Since 99.9% of all divx video uses an .avi container, and divx-plus uses an .mkv container, this hasn't been an issue, but it's great that MpcStar now supports this for the rare file that people make using the .divx container.

great! but the new release still hasn't solved some serious problem that appeared since 5.2. the player freezes when trying to open .mp4 files. i've tested this on win xp, & win 7 machines. same result. also, there should be an option to turn off the Fix File Association dialog that pops up every time the file association is changed. it's so annoying!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just upgraded from 4.9 to 5.3

Yet I haven't use much but I just didn't like removing the fast forward/backward buttons. I know I can do the trick with ctrl+scroll up/down, but if I'm using mpcstar on a laptop, it won't be convenient.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can resize the player window by "grabbing" the lower right-hand corner of the window and dragging it to the size desired, but the "sweet spot" to grab it is very small compared to most ordinary windows. This makes trying to grab the corner very difficult. You usually end up grabbing the right side only, or with the bottom only.

Great product thus far. One "issue" I have is is that the screen saver and power saver (power scheme in the power option properties) function for the monitor are completely disabled regardless if I disable it in the player's option or not. My power saver function will not engage even if I change the power saver setting. The only way to correct this is to choose a screen saver, apply it, then choose none (since I only use power saver) and apply that or a PC shutdown/ restart. This corrects everything until I play a video again.

Win XP srp 3

screen saver : none

Power Saver : 2 min

Powersaver shouldn't shut your screen off during playback of a video. Are you saying it does shut off and you don't want it to, or that you do want it to shut off?

It sounds like you want it to power off during the playback, but I can't imagine why you would want that.

Well, the settings *are* pretty confusing.

Choose from "Disable while playing in full screen", "Disable while playing", and "Enable"

Given the second and third of those, it is at least implied that if enabled, the screensaver will fire in mid-playback, which seems beyond dumb. I'm sure something else was meant, but don't know what.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Well by default I have the player set to "Disable while playing", which is good for keeping ones sanity while watching. The problem isn't during playback but after when the video is done or if I kill the player. The disable function for the screen saver continues on even if the player has been closed down, thus my issue.

"Disable while playing in full screen" & "Enable" produce the same results of permanently disabling screen saver/ power saver for desktop until I choose another screen saver or I restart/ turn off the PC.

I have had this problem with all 5.x versions but not the 4.x versions.

Hope this clarifies what I am trying to convey.

Open task manager and look on your processes tab and see if you see "mpcstar.exe" listed after it's shut down.

Also, are you using windows power management on your laptop, or one that is provided by the laptop manufacturer? and what windows version are you using?

"mpcstar.exe" is not listed in task manager after closing it.

I am working from a older model Dell Dimension desktop :

Windows XP Home Edition

Service Pack 3

Intel P4 2 GHz

640MB ram

In the past, before knowing about mpcstar, I'd have a screen saver set on "Blank" for some 5 to 10 min and power saver set to 20 min. Now-a-days I am constantly being pulled away from the PC or have a program running in the background so I have "none" for the screen saver and 2 min for power saver. The time away from the keyboard depends on what I got pulled away for, could be for 10 min or a few hours.