Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Stuck in Connecting status

Rozy63

Bitcomet 1.27

Qwest (Century Link) dsl 7Mbps

Actiontec Q1000 modem router combo

Windows 7 Dell XPS8300

I have been able to download a lot in the 4 months I have had this computer, but suddenly, when starting a download, the status stays in 'Connecting'.

Seeding a file I have finished shows a health of 500%, and an upload rate of 65kB/s for a recent tv show.

My attempted downloads are usually fairly recent tv shows also.

In the Statistics tab, I see UPnP NAT port mapping: Failed [uPNP device not found], but I have forwarded the correct port,

checked to see if it's open, and it was, and DO have a green light. Enable port mapping is checked, but I don't think that matters in this case.

I have Trend micro AV, and windows firewall running. I did disable windows firewall and restarted BitComet, but no luck.

I made an exemption for bitcomet.exe from the program files directory (with Trend).

Thanks for your help.

post-77746-13161898434022.jpg

post-77746-13161905953131.jpg

First of all the "uPnP device not found" message can be ignored. uPnP is an alternate method to automatically open your port in your router, but there is no convention between manufacturers to do it the same way so it often doesn't work.

As for your task, it shows 0 seeds and 0 peers, so either it was unable to connect to the tracker, or it did connect and the torrent is simply dead and will never finish. If you click on the task, then look at the "tracker" tab, there should be a message saying it has a tracker error, or that the tracker returned 0 peers. That will give us an idea of the problem with this task.

Whenever you see a numeric error code like that, realize that it is a WinSock error, which has nothing to do with BitComet as such.

You should google the error, with the understanding that such errors rarely mean what they say they mean.

Well, waitasec.

My router has UPnP capabilities, but I don't use them. I would rather configure the router myself and know that it was done properly, than trust iffy automation. Well, that's my personal preference, never mind. Anyway, I have disabled UPnP on it. Now BitComet comes along and tells me, "UPnP DEVICE NOT FOUND!!! OH, HORRORS! WHAT TO DO NOW?!?!??".

The answer to that question is, "doh!" It's not found because I turned it off, because I don't want you to use it. Dig?

Similarly, "OH NO! AN ESTABLISHED CONNECTION WAS ABORTED BY YOUR SOFTWARE!" Oh no! oh my, what now??!!?!

Well, a little reading up on WinSock error 10053 provides this:

This would occur if WinSock aborts an established connection after data retransmission fails (receiver never acknowledges data sent on a datastream socket)

That, of course, is an entirely normal occurance in a TCP transmission sequence. Sometimes the receiver doesn't ACK. So what we have here is not a panic attack, it's an everyday happenstance. Maybe the tracker's gone down. Maybe it's just too busy to timely answer at that moment. Maybe the network connection there and back is getting lost. So what you do about it is to try again, because sooner or later, most of those conditions are going to change near term. This is a little bit different from a timeout because it happened, not at the start of a connection, but in the middle of an existing, ongoing connection.

Since the receiver didn't ACK, winsock can't continue. So now it's Winsock ABORTING the connection. (Sometimes I actually miss the "flash" tag.)

Most likely the tracker is just slammed. Try again later.

My router has UPnP capabilities, but I don't use them. I would rather configure the router myself and know that it was done properly, than trust iffy automation. Well, that's my personal preference, never mind. Anyway, I have disabled UPnP on it. Now BitComet comes along and tells me, "UPnP DEVICE NOT FOUND!!! OH, HORRORS! WHAT TO DO NOW?!?!??".

Not to be argumentative, but I didn't disable UPnP in the router/modem. It is still checked ON.

I'll keep trying though.

Not to be argumentative, but I didn't disable UPnP in the router/modem. It is still checked ON.

In order for a successful UPnP mapping to occur at least 3 conditions need to be fulfilled:

1. UPnP enabled on the router.

2. UPnP enabled in BitComet.

3. UPnP enabled in Windows (and allowed into your software firewall).

Furthermore, the 3 processes need to agree with each other. Sometimes they do and it's all peachy. Some other times they don't and you'll get a failed UPnP mapping.

But if you get a "Device not found" error it means that it didn't even get to the point where they must agree.

That tracker "openbittorrent.com" no longer uses an http announce, try using this tracker instead

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80

However, unless other peers change the tracker manually, the torrent will never download. Best option would be to find a different torrent.

Also, as long as you have the green light, don't give the uPnP another thought. If you want to learn how it works, that's great, but it's not anything you need to know to fix the problem, it's only purpose is to get the port open, which you've already done.