To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bit Comet became blank---everything was deleted

T_Azam

Hi!

I woke this morning and strangely found my Computer being turned off it wasn't to be as I had been downloading via bitcomet before I fell asleep. As I turned everything on and started bitComet I found out that it had nothing on it. FYI I had atleast 100 finished and 25 unfinished downloads awating completion all gone.

My question is how can I get everything back?

I tried to look for a .bak file as told but couldn't find it at the bitComet's installation folder.

Please Help me.

Thanks & T.C.

You couldn't find it in the installation folder because different windows versions handle these files differently, and different bitcomet versions have had to change to adapt to the way they are handled.

If you had read the "READ THIS before posting", then you would have had your answer by now.

You didn't mention if you have 32 or 64bit windows, and 32 or 64bit bitcomet, so I'm going to assume both are 32bit.

In your advanced options, if "system use app data" is "true" (default)

Then your config files will be in....

C:\users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\BitComet

If your system use appdata is set to false, then they will be either in your install folder,

c:\program files\bitcomet

or depending on your user account settings they may be in.

c:\users\your user name\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files\bitcomet

Yes I have a 32 bit OS and I think a 32 bit BitComet. Which file should I look for and what should I do to restore everything as it were before the crash. And this is happening quite often after installing 1.27 update. Is this a bug problem?

Thanks & T.C.

Edited by T_Azam (see edit history)

Which file should I look for and what should I do to restore everything as it were before the crash

It's funny you should ask that.

We wrote this Wiki FAQ topic detailing each step of various methods to recover the tasklist, exactly to avoid writing the same whole pages of instructions here in the forums, over and over again, to each user individually as they experience this: Tasks have disappeared/deleted tasks reappeared in my tasklist after a BitComet restart. How can I fix this? B)

No, version 1.27 runs very stable, as does 1.28. If your tasks failed to save the downloads.xml file, then rename the most resent version of the backup file "downloads.xml.bak" to "doqnlaods.xml".

You may need to re-add any tasks that were added after the last backup file was saved.

Usually when a system is unstable and bitcomet crashes regularly, the problem isn't bitcomet itself, bitcomet is just causing you to use your network connections a lot more then the average browsing and personal use so it's bringing any existing problems to the surface, but if you want us to help you figure out what the cause might be, then go back to the topic I referred you to and provide ALL the required info.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to uninstall and reinstall bitcomet too, but first we know at least your downloads.xml file was corrupted, so there may be other corrupt files so I recommend you scan your harddrive for errors followed by running a full defrag. I'd also recommend you scan your computer for virus and malware.