To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Chat Option

dps1976

Been done.

'Way back, about version 0.60 or so, BitComet had a chat option. Died from disinterest/disuse, eventually dropped.

BitComet is a bittorrent client. Chat and IM clients are their own specialization, and there's a long way to go to write one that's competitive. BC doesn't want to be in that business, but it would have to become a full-time pursuit to stay competitive/compatible. That would only happen if there were a strong community that used it. There isn't/wasn't.

Last I heard, utorrent was about to stumble down this alley themselves.

It *sounds* like a great idea. Just doesn't work out that way.

uTorrent also recently added torrent comments, I'm sure they will find it get's abused by spammers just like ours does. As for the chat, I imagine you can still use it if two people are using an old enough version, but when I tried to chat with peers, no one ever replied, it was a completely ignored option from what I could see.

Very understandable guys. I used to play around with Limewire, Bearshare and even the dreaded Frostwire. Then I found BC and haven't had any problems with it. They had chat options but like it was said, "It got abused." I guess it would be something difficult to control even if there was a good base of people using it.

With programs like MSN or yahoo messenger, or even the dredded AIM, you control who you allow to send you messages, but with a public torrent, anyone can connect and send you a message, spam, links to viruses, p***, or even threats. There is no way to moderate this even if there was sufficient manpower to do it. It was a good idea, but just like the early chat rooms learned and the reason the term "spam" begun, it is very easy for one person to ruin the fun for all.

Glad you're enjoying BitComet