To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Sad yellow IP upload faces

ranosb

Every time a download finishes and starts seeding, all the connected ips are sad face yellow, I have yet to see even one green upload face, is this normal?!

Also when seeding they will start to upload, hit a max rate, then slowly go back to 0kbps, wait a while then repeat? Why doesn't it stay constant?

I have a green Wan light and DHT light, tried disabling DHT, no effect.

Both TCP & UDP ports are open, get great download speed.

Connected to a DIR-100 Cable Router with bitcomet's listen port forwarded, only one computer connected.

Any help appreciated!

The icons only represent the status of the peer connection, there is probably nothing to worry about. We have a lot of info about this posted on wiki.bitcomet.com if you want to learn more about the peer states, but to answer your question, the yellow face doesn't mean there is a problem, it could simply mean that this peer has you choked because he cannot support any transfers, which is normal and expected on all torrents, your simply put on "hold" until the peer finishes the tasks he's currently traded, then will look to negotiate more trades.

For the meaning of each icon type in the Peers tab, check this topic (the Connection Status paragraph): Detailed Info Pane - Peers

As for your last question, to put it the simple way, know this: peer-to-peer transfers are very different from client-server transfers.

In client-server transfers (e.g. you download some file from a FTP or HTTP server such as Rapid Share) what happens is that you contact the server, request the file and once the download started, it all depends on mostly 3 factors:

1. your max download speed

2. the server's degree of congestion and also its upload speed (but usually that exceeds by far your line capacity unless it's a personal web server, so it's usually not a real issue)

3. the degree of congestion in the network path between you and the server

In peer-to-peer transfers you don't have servers. You download only from peer computers of other people such as yourself.

Especially in BitTorrent, there's some quite complex algorithms which govern the criteria based on which peers establish and tear down connections between themselves. If you want to know more about it, I suggest you to go and read the BitTorrent protocol specifications, to get a feel of it.

But as a thumb rule know that you'll get peers more or less alike you (i.e. proportional to your upload capability). Meaning that while downloading, peers with high upload bandwidth will end up teaming with other high upload peers (occasionally you will get some too, if they don't find better partners).

But the reverse can also be true, meaning that you have a high upload line and on some torrents you end up with lousy speeds, simply because there aren't any fast uploading peers in the swarm of that particular torrent.

So, if you really want to understand what's going on behind the scene you need to go and read quite a bit.

If you're just worried if that's normal behavior, well, the short answer is: Yes. Sure, from case to case you'll have sometimes stable peers with steady upload and other times very dynamic peers with varying speeds, depending on the swarm composition but that doesn't necessarily indicate a problem on your end.

If you have a green status light and have your client settings at their best values, then that's all you need to and CAN do.

By a technical interpretation, when you're seeding, the remote's peer status on the connection between you two is CHOCKING and INTERESTED (for the reasons kluelos explained).

That is the connection icon for remote peer in choking state as it was explained in the link I gave you.

• 10 months later...

You will have to break down and do some reading if you want to understand the reasons.

Seeders never have green faces, for the reasons that Wiz and I have already explained above. Green faces are for leechers.

Yellow means that somebody doesn't want anything from the other party. As a seeder, you never want anything from the other party because you've already got it all. You're kind of obsessing over this.

You will have to break down and do some reading if you want to understand the reasons.

Seeders never have green faces, for the reasons that Wiz and I have already explained above. Green faces are for leechers.

Yellow means that somebody doesn't want anything from the other party. As a seeder, you never want anything from the other party because you've already got it all. You're kind of obsessing over this.

Thanks for your reply. Nowhere does it say that green faces are for leechers, now I know. I tried reading about it but its way above my head!

Its OK for you techies but I'm new and in my 70s, I'm doing my best!

Not that it would be in any way important, as kluelos already repeatedly stated it, but just for the sake of it, let me make it clear for all those "non-techies":

When you're downloading (meaning you haven't got yet the whole shebang and you're still struggling to get it all from the rest of the peers) then being CHOKED by another peer at any moment means that you still have a connection with it but you're not receiving any data because all their upload slots are otherwise occupied (so you're kinda waiting in line at that peer for some data).

Hence the sad yellow face. You gotta wait and that usually isn't very much fun in most people's acception.

When you're seeding, you don't need anything from anybody anymore, but you're still receiving a CHOCKED status from the other peer (because they know you don't need anything) and therefore the client uses the same icon (the one for "choked" status) because it wouldn't have made much sense to create another icon for the "choked" status just for the case when you're just seeding and not downloading anymore.

I don't know if it gets any clearer than that, at least not in my book.

Topic closed.