To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Connection dropping off despite good availability of seeders.

1) Currently using 1.29, was using 1.30

2) Comcast cable

4) Standard Comcast modem, not sure what brand they use and I don't have access to it, Linksys WRT54G router (again no access) with a Netgear WNA3100 wireless adapter.

5) XP Pro sp3 with windows firewall and free Avira A/V

6) http://www.speedtest.net/result/1630191424.png

7) DL 5.45 mb/s, UL 5.52 mb/s, .49 ms ping

8) Port 23271 is open on the router and in BC options for BC and Emule, I set them myself.

When I first start up BitComet (BC) I get real good DL speeds, pics 01 and 02.

post-24345-13230574862376.jpg

post-24345-13230574935081.jpg

However, after a few minutes of this everything drops to nothing, absolutely nothing even though the seeders remain high, I get zero DL numbers.

post-24345-13230580544076.jpg

When this happens the little internet icon in my task bar also goes to yellow instead of green and my wireless icon states that I am getting 2.0Mbps instead of the usual 54.0Mbps. I guess what I am wondering is, Comcast must be throttling off my internet connection when BitComet is running, but how would they know this? After I get zero DLing and shut BC off, a few minutes later my internet gets back up to full speed again and I can restart BC and get full speeds again, but again only for a limited time.

Isn't 1147kBs=1.147mbps, that is not a whole lot is it? Why would Comcast throttle that back or are they detecting p2p sharing? I don't know what to make of this but it is very aggravating. I don't think it is a bad setting in BC, just wondering what you guys might think of this. I don't know what else I can add to clarify anything.

The speed you see in the system tray for your connection is the speed of the wireless connection between your PC and your router and it has nothing to do with what line speed your ISP provides you, which is usually well below that.

Your very test speeds confirm that; 5.45 Mbps is only the 10th part of 54 MBps.

As TUUS said, this indicates issues with your router, be it the wireless module or the routing module itself.

You should try connecting your PC through an Ethernet cable and see if that fixes the issue or not.

If it does, it's the wireless connection which doesn't work well, if it doesn't than it's probably the routing module that can't keep up.

Thanks TUUS and Greywizard, I forgot all about the fact that the router could be at fault. I ran into this problem before with a Dlink DI-524 802.11g router. Seems wireless G is not very good after all for large packets. But this isn't my setup so I can't do anything about the firmware, I am allowed to use it but can't mess with the settings. I wasn't even supposed to mess with opening the port 23271 but did anyway. I now use a Dlink DIR-615 N router in my own setup but can't afford my own internet connection so I am stuck the way it is. Thanks for all your knowledge and help.

I am aware of the speed differences as you noted, I just included it as informational purposes.

"The speed you see in the system tray for your connection is the speed of the wireless connection between your PC and your router and it has nothing to do with what line speed your ISP provides you, which is usually well below that.

Your very test speeds confirm that; 5.45 Mbps is only the 10th part of 54 MBps."

Edited by janesman2007 (see edit history)