To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Unable to post comments

I think the point kluelos is making is unless you tell us why you're unable to post a comment, we can't help you. I could think of about a hundred questions to ask to try to "go fishing" for some info about what happens when you try to leave a comment, but you really should describe the problem in detail.

ps. I just tried to leave a comment on a torrent and it works perfectly.

Sorry for this late response, but here it goes:

When I am downloading a torrent file in Bitcomet. I go to the comments tab. There I write my message in the box and I either use name :guest or my username. Then I enter the captcha code and I press submit post. And then nothing.. The screen gets white.. nothing happens..

2 screens:

bitcometfailpost.png

2nd:

bitcometfailpost2.png

I even tried waiting for a good hour and still nothing happened.. I tried refreshing the page. I tried closing and opening again, I tried switching tasks and checking comments again. I tried all kind of torrents, nothing happens. EVER

So to answer: "I think the point kluelos is making is unless you tell us why you're unable to post a comment, we can't help you."

If I knew why I couldn't post a comment, then I think I wouldn't be here asking why I am not able. Instead I would give a full description on why I am not able.

Edit: It's not because of the version of Bitcomet either, since I've been using Bitcomet for years and I've NEVER EVER been able to post even one comment on a torrent in any version whatsoever.

Edited by Memmerik01045 (see edit history)

The comment won't ever appear in the red highlighted area. You're looking in the wrong place for it. Rather, it will appear in the Comment window, directly below the Rating: box. It will appear there immediately. All comments about the torrent by anyone, will appear down in the comment window, and never in in the upper window.

@kluelos: I think he just masked the titles of the tasks with that red-bordered, white-filled rectangle, not indicated the place where he expected the comment to appear.

@Memmerik01045: Anyway, if you never were able to post a comment in any version of BitComet, this could tie in to a series of problems.

1. If you're still using the same OS (no re-installations) since the first version of BitComet in which you had trouble posting comments, this could mean something is out of order with your installation of Internet Explorer.

2. If you changed OS-es in between and you're still not able to post this could mean that perhaps something prevents you from communicating with the IP address of the server which hosts the comments.

These are just a couple of possible reasons off the top of my head, not an extensive list. This isn't something we encountered often so far, so there aren't any "ready to use" answers; it needs a bit more diagnosing.

@kluelos: I think he just masked the titles of the tasks with that red-bordered, white-filled rectangle, not indicated the place where he expected the comment to appear.

@Memmerik01045: Anyway, if you never were able to post a comment in any version of BitComet, this could tie in to a series of problems.

1. If you're still using the same OS (no re-installations) since the first version of BitComet in which you had trouble posting comments, this could mean something is out of order with your installation of Internet Explorer.

2. If you changed OS-es in between and you're still not able to post this could mean that perhaps something prevents you from communicating with the IP address of the server which hosts the comments.

These are just a couple of possible reasons off the top of my head, not an extensive list. This isn't something we encountered often so far, so there aren't any "ready to use" answers; it needs a bit more diagnosing.

First part was indeed correct. I masked my list, due to privacy reasons.

And could you explain some more for the 2nd option you gave me? Perhaps also ways to correct this?

This might be the problem. This might also explain why I can't get my listner port to open.. I followed the guide here on the forums, have port 50000 selected. But even after following all the instructions to portforward etc. it stays blocked. I really have no idea why.

Edited by Memmerik01045 (see edit history)

Port forwarding is one thing. It's a method to allow incoming connections for the BitTorrent protocol, which is a necessary thing if you want full functionality from your torrent client.

But comments, as far as I can gather are nothing more than HTTP commands transmitted towards a HTTP server (just as you would type a comment on a forum, blog or whatever in a browser).

So, what I'm saying is that maybe you have something (in one of the firewalls between your and the Internet) which is preventing you from reaching the Comet servers.

I don't exactly know the IP address of the server which is hosting the comments pages but there is a list of IPs related to the comet servers here; presumably one of them might be that of the comments server (but I can't guarantee that 100%).

You'll need to check that you can reach these IPs.

I am sorry for waiting this long with responding, but since I am not that formiliar with computers, I have no idea on how to try and reach those servers. I have been trying to search to put them in my google chrome, just like connecting to your router. But that failed..

Could you explain this to me please?

The screen still shouldn't ever look like that.

After Memmerik (presumably) attempted to post a comment, the entire contents of the bottom pane disappeared, including the hash-ID of the torrent, count of comments and its rating.

I believe that display of the count of comments demonstrates that he did actually communicate with the server, but in any case the bottom pane should not be blank like this after posting. Something else is going on.

You can try to ping those addresses, by using the ping x.y.z.t command at the command prompt. (x.y.z.t stands for the IP address of each server).

If you don't get a reply it may mean that you are prevented from reaching those IPs.

I think I did the pinging thingy.

The only ip that gave me a 100% response was "ip-us.bitcomet.org: 221.130.195.221-221.130.195.222" The others were timed-out or either 75% loss of response.

Is there any way I can get all of them to respond? I read something about allowing them, but not sure where to do this.. Sorry for my foolishness!

Well, those are ranges of IPs owned by Comet but I don't know which ones of them are actully in use right now. The idea is to unblock all of them so that you're on the safe side.

The actual steps on how to do that lie in first drawing a logical topology of your network (mentally or on a piece of paper) so that you know what devices are present on it where firewall may lie.

This includes anything from your modem down to your computer.

Any or all of them may have a firewall on it. Your computer can have even several firewalls.

Depending on the method by which you get Internet access there may be even another firewall downstream from you which you don't even control.

Usually most firewalls by default block incoming connections and allow outgoing ones, so the fact that you can't see any comments would have to mean that you probably have some sort of firewall on your PC that blocks even some outgoing connections. In order to make sure that this is the case, you should try posting a comment from another computer but from within your home, using your current connection (if you have access to any other computer or even a friend with a laptop you can just download a ZIP BitComet version which doesn't need installing).

If it doesn't work it would be clear that the issue lies on your computer.

You'll have to either find the software firewall that's blocking you or fix your software installation of Windows.