To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Free Movies?

jpmcsale

I don't understand why downloading movies with bit torrent is illegal when there are so many legal sites letting you view free movies. eg IDBM.com and a app called Crackle have a ton of free movies you can watch. Are these movies in a public domain or something like some books are? Would appreciate some enlightenment..

wikipedia says it owned by Sony and states: Crackle currently features original content and licenses movies from Columbia Pictures, TriStar Pictures, Screen Gems, and Sony Pictures Classics and TV shows from Sony Pictures Television.[9]

I gues I just have a hard time understanding how they are making money at this but I guess it all trickles down by buying the licences for big bucks then selling smart tv's with crackle and however else they are making money with this as a feature.

Thanks

Basically hollywood and the recording studios had a monopoly, audio cds and dvd discs were difficult to copy and way to much data to download... so they were selling them and making a fortune. Then internet technology made it possible to download a movie in minutes instead of months, and instead of adapting to the technology and profiting from it, they tried to suppress it with laws. Now I think they realize the only way to win is embrace the technology. If they had sold movies for a dollar per download they would have made a nice profit and it wouldn't have effected dvd sales at all, but they wanted to be greedy and charge the same price for a download as buying the disc or cd costs. I suspect now they are wising up and are realizing that the internet offers free distribution and no manufacturing costs, so it's 100% profit. A $20 dvd only gets them a couple dollars profit and they sell a million, if they had a $1 download they'd still sell a million discs, and another 10 million downloads in the same time period.