To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

"Busy disk"

Hello, I'm new using bit comet... And I'm having a problem.

I've found a torrent to download from season 1 to 5 of how i met your mother, well the download of seasons 1,2,3,4 worked well but now i'm trying to download the 5th season and the download stops all the time with an alert of "busy disk". Does anyone know how to solve it?

I'm using the version 1.32

This is, fairly obviously, a problem with your own system and not a BitComet bug. It should not have been posted in that forum.

The error is telling you that your system is trying to write to your hard disk, but this is taking an inordinate amount of time for some reason, which suggests a bad or questionable spot on the disk itself.

You will need to run a system check on your disk. How you do that depends on your operating system, which you didn't mention.

You should run a disk check like this as a part of your regular monthly system hygiene including checking for adware/spyware, viruses, and rootkits. This test can fix minor problems if asked to do so (do that), and can point out impending disk failures.

My assumption would be the same reason a person could walk across his roof dozens of times without a problem, but as soon as he steps on a certain spot, his foot goes through. It's very possible your disc has a bad spot and that episode just happened to find it. If it's just a bad sector or two windows can disable them and you can continue to use the disc, but sometimes it's a sign of other pending disc problems. Only time will tell.

This is the way that bad or unreliable clusters on a disk reveal themselves - by finally being written to by the drive. It could have been any file that just happened to be written to that particular cluster. The Diskcheck utility will, in fix mode, find such bad or doubtful sectors and will do its best to copy the contents elsewhere if it can, then mark the sector as bad so the drive won't try to use it anymore.

In the old days it was normal for even brand new drives to have bad sectors. Manufacturers would often plan on them. If they designed a disc with 110 sectors, it would be sold as having 100, then when manufactured, one might have 105 good ones, the next 107, the next 102. If a drive had less then 100 good ones, it was considered failed and scrapped, if it had more then 100, it was good and only the first 100 good ones were used. This technique may still be in use today, but on a much larger scale.

If only a bad spot on a roof was so easy to be fixed... we could put a sign on it and the rain would know not to land on it :)

my client seams to like saying the disk is busy while not responding also. only im not even downloading, there maybe 8 or 10 torrents searching for peers and clicking around on torrents just makes the program not respond and say busy disk.....

only its not doing a damn thing why is it saying the disk is busy? the pc is functioning fine [during busy disk] its only bitcomet thats acting like a troublechild.

seatools says my drives are fine.

Seatools operates on a much lower level than DiskCheck. BitComet caches most of what it does to reduce the burden on the disk drive. That means that disk activity won't occur at predictable intervals. You are using a multitasking O/S, so other tasks aren't concerned with what BitComet is doing, and BitComet isn't concerned with what they are doing. Both proceed together. Software that grabs all of the interrupts and locks up the system until it completes its own task, is finally considered defective, though God knows we saw enough of it years ago.