To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Restarting a Deleted Torrent

Roy3

So, there is a question that I hope someone can answer because of my incessant need to progress in anything that has a leveling system and giving back to the "community" that has helped me so many times in the past. I would like to know if it is possible to seed and upload data for a torrent which I have already finished. In the past I have completed downloading and deleted the task and deleted it from history but I still have most (probably about 90%) of the torrent files I used to download before.

Say I have the .torrent for The Simpsons season 1-19; I have already moved all those files to a portable hard drive but can I still somehow reactivate the .torrent file and upload to others? There are a lot of files that I want to revive.

start the torrent just like you were downloading. If the files are already in the download folder, bitcomet will rehash them and then after confirming they are 100% complete will begin seeding. If any files are missing or damaged, it will hash check to less then 100% and you can then continue to download any missing pieces and seed, as long as there is someone seeding it already. If there are no seeders and you have less then 100%, then don't waste your time, move onto another task.

When you first load the .torrent file, and before actually starting the task, you can change the download (or in your case, upload) location to whatever you like, Point this to where you have moved the files, if you intend to seed from there. Don't start the task yet. Perform a manual hash-check to make sure you've got the right location. If you do, BitCOmet should take a while to finish the check. If you have the wrong location, the check will finish immediately (because BC sees nothing to check.). Once you've got the right location you can seed away.

This assumes that the tracker is still tracking the file, but most of them don't prune old torrents even though they should. Still, when you start the task, look at the TRACKERS tab and see what it's telling you. If it says "unregistered torrent" or something like that, the original has been dropped, and seeding it is useless because nobody can find you to download from you. You'd need to create a new torrent and upload that somewhere.