To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Importance of downloading http and torrent files in queue / one by one

I am eager to attract your attention to one very useful feature that must be incorporated in bitcomet it is:

Importance of downloading http and torrent files in queue / one by one,

here this is needed because of priority cause one file that is most recently needed such as to install a downloading software or movie or any file, cause it may not to be skipped cause of it utmost important, for example downloading important document from mail for buisness use or any security update patch that is most needed within a network or computers to stop hacking and infiltration, or if boss wanted that file and it is of utmost importance needed in a meeting, when this utmost important download is finished cause using the full bandwith the software may continue downloading with other files when this file has been completed . The highest priority software can be used or extracted by any other user in the same pc attending or from the folder in the network.

This will automate the bitcomet downloading.

others example may be a user may not attend his pc hourly or from time to time or wake up at night attending it. He may become carefree after the task is given to the software. He may devote his time to other work.

For me it is of very importance and i think it will be of importance to other users too.

That is why this feature is incorporated in utorrent and vuge.

Thanking you for taking time for devoting on this kind of feature and going through this..

With regards

shresharma(shresharma@rediffmail.com)

Edited by shresharma (see edit history)

You can force bitcomet to download one file at a time in a torrent, but it's an extremely bad idea to do so. If everyone did this the torrent would collapse becaue it's not the way bittorrent was designed to work.It would also slow your downloads to a crawl.

You can force bitcomet to download one file at a time in a torrent, but it's an extremely bad idea to do so. If everyone did this the torrent would collapse becaue it's not the way bittorrent was designed to work.It would also slow your downloads to a crawl.

sir i was just thinking of automating bitcomet, and saving precious time of users when pc is left unattended, i just want to know it how it can be done. It may not be bad idea for some users. I want to try it maybe it works for me "please"

thanking you

shresharma

I'm sorry, but you will certainly not save any time. Quite the opposite over the entirety of the torrent, you will waste fantastic amounts of time.

To do this (it's your funeral) simply select all of the files in the torrent EXCEPT the one you want, and set their priorities to "disabled".

What you will be doing is turning away everyone who offers you a piece of the torrent that is not included in the one file you want. You will be turning away a lot of people, waiting for somebody to offer a piece you do want. You will spend most of your time waiting for somebody to offer.

Now when you've got the file you wanted, and are going after a second file from the torrent, you will have already turned away many, many pieces of that second file. You could have already had them in the time you wasted waiting for pieces of file #1, but you don't. So you go through the whole process again, turning people away and waiting for the ones you want.

If you do eventually get the entire torrent file-by-file like this, it will likely take you 10x-20x longer to do it this way than if you had simply downloaded the whole thing and prioritized the files you wanted -- and very likely twice as long to actually finish downloading the one file in question.

In the process you become a peer who isn't very attractive to others. Never has anything, never wants anything, isn't reliable. These things cause other clients to automatically look elsewhere before trying you again, so most of them will keep you choked most of the time.

At the end of this, you will (of course) be expected to seed that one file until you have returned at least as much as you've taken, This, too, will take longer to find people who don't already have those pieces.

There are no rules or laws against doing something foolish.

I agree with kluelos completely. It's not only a foolish thing to do, it's also quite rude and unfriendly to the spirit of sharing.

If you care about being a good peer and contributing to the process, then you will accept any pieces that are offered that you will eventually need and offer them to anyone who asks for them. By setting a certain file to high priority, your client will ask for the pieces needed to make that file, but it will accept others if they aren't available.

If I was downloading a torrent containing 10 television shows and let them download piece by piece getting which ever are currently available at any minute, the whole download of 10 episodes would usually take about 2 hours. If I was to do it your way it could take 24 hours or longer, perhaps much longer because no one would want to trade with me.

Another analogy would be if you went shopping for groceries, travelling the store isle by isle with your list and since "bread" is #1 on your list you keep searching the isles for bread. In the process you pass milk, which is on your list, but since you've decided to get them in order you pass by the milk, the coffee, the bananas, the and even the toothpaste, because you insist on getting bread first, but the market is out of bread, so you keep looking for hours and hours and have no progress at all, until finally a vendor appears with bread and you grab a loaf. You then have milk which you passed up earlier many times, but at the moment no one is offering milk, so you stand there doing nothing at all until you happen to find some milk available.

In the meantime several shoppers with an identical list have completed all the items and are already home enjoying the meal, but you can't find any coffee, because you refused everyone that offered it to you because you felt it was best to wait... but now the coffee vendors are no whee to be found because they too were waiting for bread, and as soon as the bread appeared the took some and left. The end result is you have to wait in the market for for hours or even days, when you could have completed the shopping in minutes.

I hope this helps to clarify why we are telling you it's such a bad idea, but if you want to download files directly using ftp or http, then there is no harm in doing them in any order you like.