To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

can i permanently ban peers

acdcat

i seem to be finding a lot of peers sitting at 99.4%

they never complete

i assume that these peers are just tracing my ip.

BITCOMET must add a peer guardian function even better a rule tool that will allow me to block peers under certain circumstances

what do you think?

It only takes one scrape of the tracker to get yours (and everyone else's) IP address. There is no purpose served by "tracing" it, absolutely no need to do so. The MPAA doesn't ever even need to connect to you. Once they have your IP address, they can use one of several registries to find out who that IP belongs to. Now that they know your ISP. I can use the provisions of the DMCA law to require your ISP to contact you with the standard threatening letter.

People need to understand that FINDING guilty parties has never been the slightest problem for the MPAA. They can find them by, literally, the millions with a very little bit of effort. The MPAA's problem now is, what do you do with them?

You do not understand the network or bittorrent nearly well enough to manage your network manually. It is entirely normal for a number of peers to share every available piece of a torrent, then all stop at the same spot (say, 99.4%) waiting for the last piece which isn't available to any of them. We typically see this when the torrent-maker included constantly-changing files like "desktop.ini" in the torrent. (Since they have changed, they'll never pass the hash-check created when the torrent was made.)

This also frequently happens with "spoiler" torrents, seen mostly for new popular movies and albums -- they are never intended to finish, they are intended to waste your time and frustrate you. There was a FAQ topic, or possibly a post in the Guides forum, abut this which you should read.

Banning peers is a completely futile gesture, as is Peer Guardian.

Hmmm, i still want more control over who is connecting to me, but thank you for your enthusiastic reply.

"they" don't normal seek you out unless they see you seeding, and i would assume that they would have to prove that you have indeed downloaded the full file and then seeded it fully or completed there "trap" peer's download,

but I'm just paranoid,

if my isp was to send me "hate mail" i would dump them so fast, lol

Edited by acdcat (see edit history)

Something is not cool.

Why would i be downloading from like 50 peers, and up to 10 ofthem have exacaly the same progresion in there download, today it 97.9%, and they all dont seem to be downloading from any of the other 40, that are at100% peers that im downloading from as well,

I dont care much for the condecending remarks,"You do not understand the network or bittorrent nearly well enough to manage your network manually" by kluelos,

There is plenty i do know, these peers may be trying to "gleam" info from OUR computers, i dont want ppl conected to me if they not downloading, and unless you can prove other wise this is what i beleve is happening :ph34r:

and if i can ban an ip for 24 hours WHY THE h*** cant i ban and reinstate peers in blacklist/whitelist PERMANTLY

Edited by acdcat (see edit history)

Hmmm, i still want more control over who is connecting to me, but thank you for your enthusiastic reply.

You can write your own client and then you will have 100% control.

It will do whatever you want, however you want it.

Or use an IP blocker; there are quite a few out there, which have been around for quite a while and have a substantial userbase; most of them accept custom IPs inserted by user.

So, you'll be able to have fun all day long tracking and blocking IPs; after all, there are more than 4 billion of them so you should be in for a long ride.