To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

my listen port remains blocked!

bitcomet4fun

hi, i created a port in my firewall and during the 4 month i´ve had bitcomet it has been working fine til yesterday. suddenly i lost internet connection for 1 or 2 minuts, i got connected again but since then the listen port is blocked! i´m using wired connection to my modem (although the modem is a wireless router modem). i´ve tried to create new listen ports and add the new port number to my firewall rules but still. my point is i didn´t change any settings before or after the short internet connection break, and i changed the port numer back to the number i had before still nothing helps! please what´s wrong? can it my intenet service provier that have locked me from bitcomet/bittorrent network or what is it? if it´s my ISP, than why?!

ok let me take it from the start, i have a smal black box which is my modem (not a smal mobil looking thing that connects to the computer by USB stick!). i think the modem is called a router because i can connect my PC to it without a cable but i have used cable since i got my internet for about 2 years ago. now for 2 days ago i lost my internet connection but very quickly it came back on automatically but then i had the problem with the blocked port. why i´m describing all this is because i think the answer you gave me is for the USB STICK modems or perhaps routers. in my case i have a router but i´m not using the wireless function instead connecting with cable. could my IP adress still be changed on it´s own?? and in that case, can you give me an easy step by step explanation on how to solve the problem? please it would men alot to get rid of this problem

This is set forth in great detail in our Guides and Tutorials forum.

Your problem was caused by failing to set a static IP address between your computer and your modem/router combo. (The router functions on both the wired and wireless connections, there is no essential difference in the connections. You do not bypass the router when you use a wired connection.) When your router lost the connection and regained it, then the IP address it assigned to your computer was changed -- because it is a dynamic address assignment. This is a commonplace occurrence with the default network setup. It is merely a matter of fortune that your current settings continued to work for as long as they did.

Portforward.com has supplemental instructions for most brands of routers and most applications. One of its admonitions, in bold print, is not to overlook setting a static IP address in your computer's network settings, but for some reason, many people just ignore that step to their eventual sorrow.