To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

facebook not loading in comet

For reasons that have been discussed here countless times, cometbird hasn't been updated recently. This is due to actions by mozilla firefox mostly, and the reasons facebook is having problems is because of their development not being backwards compatible.

The only solution I can offer is to use a different browser, at least until development of cometbird resumes.

@ fbwhitehawk43

Please do NOT make duplicate posts in multiple forums - once is enough.

@ to the rest of posters in this thread

Please make sure to post in the proper forum - this is NOT the right one

*topic moved*

• 2 weeks later...

For reasons that have been discussed here countless times, cometbird hasn't been updated recently. This is due to actions by mozilla firefox mostly, and the reasons facebook is having problems is because of their development not being backwards compatible.

The only solution I can offer is to use a different browser, at least until development of cometbird resumes.

So basically, we should abandon Cometbird since the last update was April of 2013? I hate that. I hope you guys get development going again soon. I liked this browser a lot but I do a lot on Facebook for friends and family far from home and I won't use CB until that is fixed. If anyone knows a way to get FB working on CB again, please share! :D Thanks. Best of luck to the CB team getting this ball rolling again. :)

I can't speak for the developers, all I know is that the creator of bitcomet told me that he isn't giving up on cometbird.

I also know that due to the fact of mozilla's decision to change the major numbers instead of the minor numbers when updating, it requires them to redo all the work each time an update is made. In the past this was once or twice a year but recently has become once or twice per month or more, so unless you want to quit your job and work for free constantly updating cometbird, there isn't much that can be done. They still enjoy developing the free apps like BitComet and Cometbird and I'll still be here offering support whenever I can, but our day jobs have to come first.

• 1 month later...

I personally rarely use cometbird but since this post I did try using facebook with cometbird and it worked for me so I'm not sure why other members are having a problem with it.

Regarding updates, the development team did assure me they haven't completely given up on the cometbird project, but at the moment there is just not any resources available to actively develop it. Next time we talk I will again suggest they consider making a LTS (long term support) version of cometbird that is based on the LTS firefox version. Unlike the regular distribution they don't get constantly replaced so it shouldn't be a full time job keeping it updated.

I can't promise they will listen, but I do like this idea.