To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Does changing WAN IP affect running tasks?

Hi,

Hopefully a few questions that some of you with greater tech know-how can answer for me. :)

I use a VPN which disconnects sometimes and can give me a different IP when it reconnects.

In BitComet Statistics info window, BitComet displays the external IP I had when the client started even if it changes while BitComet is running.

Will this change have any effect on existing peers if they try to reconnect?

When BitComet set up connections to new peers, will the difference in WAN IP be an issue?

Is there any way to configure BitComet to check the ports at regular intervals (same as right-clicking bottom right and choosing 'Check again') or should I try requesting it in the Suggestions forum?

Or does BitComet reconfigure everything when it senses a new WAN IP and just not update the Statistics page and I can just pop this to the Bug forum :)

Thanks

Sharayde

In BitComet Statistics info window, BitComet displays the external IP I had when the client started even if it changes while BitComet is running.

Yes, this because BitComet does not update Statistics lists in real time.

Will this change have any effect on existing peers if they try to reconnect?

No, it won't.

If the connection is lost, BitComet will automatically try to establish a connection to the peers it was connected before your IP got changed.

Is there any way to configure BitComet to check the ports at regular intervals (same as right-clicking bottom right and choosing 'Check again') or should I try requesting it in the Suggestions forum?

As far as I know, there is no such option. Requesting it in the Suggestions forum might be a good idea :)

Or does BitComet reconfigure everything when it senses a new WAN IP and just not update the Statistics page and I can just pop this to the Bug forum :)

As far as I know, BitComet connects to peers automatically when the computer has a WAN connection -- you don't have to worry about that. Only the Statistics list is not updated in real time.

Edited by GandalfTheWizard (see edit history)

I feel like I need to rephrase my answer...

• I think it simply connects with the port you have specified in the Options. This means that if your WAN IP has changed, or if your port mapping configurations have changed, in either case, BitComet will try to connect with the specified port to other peers. If it succeeds or not, that's part B.

• The Statistics list is not updated in real time so, yes, you'll need to check the IP/port manually to find out the status.

Good answers Gandalf, as for the port check we've already addressed this and if the port check fails, it will automatically go green when remote connections are present.

Also, if your wan IP changes, it will be reported to the tracker at the next tracker update, but as mentioned the lost peer contacts will likely be recovered by then.

• Like 1