To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

1.51 Bug: An Unclosed WIndow Stops BitComet from Reponsing

Hi I am using Win 7 BitComet version 1.51 64bit

BitComet would start fine and run fine, but it seems after couple of new torrent tasks I have added, the BitComet window would stop responding and the computer would produce the sound of an unclosed window. You know when you add a new torrent to BitComet, you must finish that new task window before you can use BitComet again otherwise you cannot click on BitComet main application window and the computer produces an unclosed window sound. That's what mattered to me except I have no unclosed window showing on BitComet. The application itself is running fine (uploading and downloading as usual)  but I cannot control the application such as adding new tasks or press anything within the application window.  I would have to use the WIndows taskbar and right click on the BitComet Icon to suspense, resume or exit. Those are the only controls I could have when I am struck.

This had happened to me couple of times now. I suspect there is a transparent window from BitComet, probably of a new torrent task, that is not showing up on screen. I would also suspect it is when I had multiple new task windows on BitComet, this bug would come up. I use BitComet the same way as I did in used previous versions of BitComet and this has never been a problem to new until version 1.51

Edit: spelling

Edited by fbPatrick_Mok (see edit history)

I am experiencing similar failures after trying to close down BC. The client will not close properly and afterwards becomes unresponsive and will not open after reboot.  Uninstalling and re-installing seems to work but the problem just comes back again when a new torrent is downloaded or when closing the client.

It's a problem I haven't come across myself but I do have the downloads folder whitelisted in the anti-virus (it had a nasty habit of deleting some parts of a download if it thought they were 'suspicious')

Are you exiting the program from the menu (the 'Exit' button or using the 'X'. The X doesn't actually close it - it just runs in the background

On 7/16/2018 at 2:41 AM, neilwheel said:

I am experiencing similar failures after trying to close down BC. The client will not close properly and afterwards becomes unresponsive and will not open after reboot.  Uninstalling and re-installing seems to work but the problem just comes back again when a new torrent is downloaded or when closing the client.

"Exit" at tab or "X" at the window corner  would not work for me as the program is stuck at some thing. I could only exit the program with "Exit BitComet" by right clicking the BitComet program at the windows task bar below the screen. Even with that  "Exit BitComet", the program would have trouble exiting as the notification area  icon on at bottom right on the window task bar would be turned to grey colour and not shutting down forever. I would then have no choice but to restart my computer to run BitComet again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1.51 freezing for #metoo.  

Example 1: 11k files task (6 BD). 99.9% after hashing. Went to uncheck a folder with many small files > freeze.

Example 2:  20 BD task start > freeze. I was able to seed this task last year on some older BitComet versions.

Have you tried it with the current version (1.52)?

(Edit)..It's very unlikely to be a problem with Bitcomet itself but far more likely to be either in the OS or another running app. Check in Task manager for that

First of all, I'd recommend a GOOD defragmentation: don't rely on the built in, once a week MS one - google Puran Utilities (free for personal use) and use that. Additionally, if you haven't whitelisted the Bitcomet and/or emule folders in your anti-virus settings, that can also cause problems.

I''m not suggesting that you shouldn't check any downloads - you should still check them manually before opening them.