To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Ram issue remains in version 1.60

Hi My computer has 32 Gb of ECC DDR3 Ram with a Xeon E5 12 Core CPU and a SSD main drive . The ram remains an issue as Bitcomet slowly but then suddenly jumps to  use up all my Ram. After that, it would take me like 8 hours just to stop all the activate tasks from running in BitComet, making existing the program extremely painful. Once after the program does stop all tasks and exist, the RAM usage would drop a bit and then jumps but up again. Please fix the ram issue in the next update.

For now 1) is there a way to limit the Ram usage of BitComet and 2) is there way to set all Bitcomet options to default as I would like to see that if it helps the program as I have been using BitComet for years now?

PS: 1.60 did improve from 1.59 in the GUI lag for me. It is still not perfect as it remains slow and the program goes white screen when I have many tasks active.

Edited by TripleThreat
Edit : This topic belongs to bugfix more. Sorry I have opened this thread under General Discussion (see edit history)

Not seeing this issue on a 4th Gen laptop i7 with 32 gig of non-ECC ram with many tons of other stuff running, in fact it's my primary computer through which i maintain connection via AnyDesk to 4 other remote computers ( all of which run a CPU/MEMORY intensive task called FOLDIT ) which is a protein folding game that i've and others have been playing for well over 10 years. It requires 3 threads to play one client of Foldit or you WILL SEE massive issues.

What size is your pagefile? You may think that, with 32 GB, you don't need it, but you actually do, especially when multi-tasking. I have 24 GB here (that's the max on my i7) but I also have a 32 GB pagefile (I multi-boot and have Linux on one SSD and W 10 on another) - swapfiles for both are on the other drive to stop disk 'thrashing' when accessed (pagefile.sys on the Linux drive and the Linux swapfile partition on the W 10 drive)

• Thanks 1

PAGEFILE is one of many potential causes but IMO, it's also likely you're NOT enjoying the fruits of GOOD HOUSEKEEPING on your 12 core processor. In other words I believe you potentially have FAR TO MANY junk and non-relevant programs running on the 12 core device. It would explain MUCH about your issues.

14 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

What size is your pagefile? You may think that, with 32 GB, you don't need it, but you actually do, especially when multi-tasking. I have 24 GB here (that's the max on my i7) but I also have a 32 GB pagefile (I multi-boot and have Linux on one SSD and W 10 on another) - swapfiles for both are on the other drive to stop disk 'thrashing' when accessed (pagefile.sys on the Linux drive and the Linux swapfile partition on the W 10 drive)

I use Windows 7 and the total paging file size for all drivers: 32684 MB. I have one harddrive that Windows manages the paging size of it. All of my many other hard drive is set to None in paging size.

What should I do to optimise paging? Should I allow Windows 7 to page on my SSD main drive, would that help?

12 hours ago, Hanto said:

PAGEFILE is one of many potential causes but IMO, it's also likely you're NOT enjoying the fruits of GOOD HOUSEKEEPING on your 12 core processor. In other words I believe you potentially have FAR TO MANY junk and non-relevant programs running on the 12 core device. It would explain MUCH about your issues.

Too many junks, as in too many other programs running at the same time? No, I don't have other intense programs running with no virtual OS or other server running. I just use Google Chrome and JDownloader as the same time as Bitcomet with no active anti-virus running.

OK - first of all you ahould be aware that support for Windows 7 will end in a matter of weeks and it will be left open to any hacks/bugs/whatever after the new year.

Your best bet is to set up a fixed size pagefile, preferably on another drive (any fast drive will work). Make it 1.5 times your RAM for both min and max values. The fixed size stops it fragmenting.

Chack in Task Managerfor any background running apps (it could surprise you what can be there). Also, do a 'clean-up' on you rdives - google for an app called 'puran' that will do all the checks you need (it's free)

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bitcomet.com/en/downloads

v1.60 [Windows] 2019.10.17

Core Improve: improve disk reading cache for BitTorrent uploading, decrease UI lag

1.60 fixes this problem, if you still have it, please post the Statistic information jpg

If your seed market settings are unlimited, it can also cause memory growth, set a smaller value

1.png.729b4e67ea9e73021ceddc2a39cb7811.png

Edited by sakura (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2019 at 6:09 AM, sakura said:

https://www.bitcomet.com/en/downloads

v1.60 [Windows] 2019.10.17

Core Improve: improve disk reading cache for BitTorrent uploading, decrease UI lag

1.60 fixes this problem, if you still have it, please post the Statistic information jpg

If your seed market settings are unlimited, it can also cause memory growth, set a smaller value

1.png.729b4e67ea9e73021ceddc2a39cb7811.png

I am using BitComet 1.62 now yet the ram problem remains.

Where can I find navigate to the "Statstic Information" page so I can upload  a screenshot it?

Also where do I set the "seed market setting" in BitComet?