To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

I have a question about magnet links

cns00

Last year I was using an old version of BitComet. Everything was ok and I was able to download files by clicking on magnet links. On December 2022 suddenly a lot of the magnet links that I clicked gave a red X in BitComet and I wasn't able to download files from magnet links. If I downloaded the torrent file for the file that I want to download and I ran the torrent file in BitComet then I was able to download the file that I want.

I removed the old version of BitComet and I put BitComet version 1.98 and then the magnet links that didn't work before and gave a red X in BitComet started working again.

I want to ask why the magnet links stopped working on the old version and gave a red X in BitComet? Do magnet links have a security feature which prevent them from being downloaded by old versions of BitComet?

I just did a test and I installed BitComet version 1.57 in Windows Sandbox and I ran it. There was no problem and I was able to able to download from magnet links. I think in December 2022 the reason a lot the magnet links failed was because my ISP changed some settings which messed things up for getting info from magnet links. Now I am living in a different country and I am getting internet from a different ISP. So then does that mean that magnet links don't have a security feature which prevent them from being downloaded by old versions of BitComet?

The work round (unfortunately the way magnet links are being handled by browsers are) is to right click on the link and 'open in new tab' (well in Firefox anyway - it may be worded differently in other browsers).

A bit of a pain but it does work

The X simply means that, for one reason or another, BC is unable to download and/or save the file.

As for how opening it in a new tab will start the download: try it and see.

(I do go to a couple of sites where the link is only 'magnet' and that's how I get it to start, presuming that is there are trackers and seeds available - if they can't be found, then you're SOL)