To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Why did BitComet kill my internet?

I have 3 laptops:
1) laptop aaa has BitComet version 1.98 and I use BitComet 32 bit
2) laptop bbb has BitComet version 1.98 and I use BitComet 32 bit
3) laptop ccc has BitComet version 2.04 and I use BitComet 64 bit

I have a crappy 15 Mbps ADSL internet and I have an ADSL router. I live in area which has no fiber internet so I have to use ADSL. Everything was working perfectly in BitComet on all the laptops and DHT is disabled in all of them and also the upload/download speed was set to unlimited in all the laptops.

I installed BitComet version 2.06 on laptop aaa and I downloaded a torrent. DHT was disabled in version 2.06. I downloaded a torrent. Suddenly, the internet on all the other devices at home got cut. I closed BitComet on laptop aaa and the internet came back on all the devices. Thus it looks like version 2.06 put too much pressure on the internet and my router couldn't take it. I put version 2.04 on laptop aaa and I downloaded a torrent. The internet on all the other devices at home got cut. I put back version 1.98 on laptop aaa and I downloaded a torrent. The internet on all the other devices at home got cut. Also I ran version 1.98 on laptop bbb and I downloaded a torrent. The internet on all the other devices at home got cut.

In the end I limited the download\upload speed on laptop aaa and I used this https://i.imgur.com/c0exgPB.jpeg setting and I downloaded a torrent. The internet remained on all the other devices at home. I applied that setting on all the laptops.

I have a few questions:

1) What changed in version 2.06 and why it put too much pressure on the internet? Before everything was working perfectly when the upload/download speed was set to unlimited in all the laptops.

2) My router couldn't handle BitComet and that's why the internet got cut on all the other devices at home. Correct?

3) Can someone please list for me all the settings that I need to use to prevent BitComet from killing the internet?

Edited by cns00 (see edit history)

BC doesn't 'kill the internet'. It's possible that you have altered a setting somewhere if only one computer is having a problem. If it's affecting all computers, thenm I'd look elsewhere. Did you try using a fixed LAN IP (192.168.###.###)? D id you check the connection speed between the computer and the modem (try doing a ping in command prompt to the modem LAN IP number)? Are you trying to download on all three computers at the same time?

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of information to go on, so all I can do is make suggestions.

1 hour ago, Rhubarb said:

BC doesn't 'kill the internet'.

I mean if I ran BitComet on one laptop then the internet on all the other devices became very slow and choppy. The internet on the other devices became ok after I closed BitComet.

Did you try using a fixed LAN IP (192.168.###.###)

I am using DHCP.

D id you check the connection speed between the computer and the modem (try doing a ping in command prompt to the modem LAN IP number)?

No. How do I do that?

Are you trying to download on all three computers at the same time?

No. I ran BitComet on only one device at a time.

I have the same issue like here 

. I need to know all the settings that I have to do in BitComet to stop that issue from happening.

Open a command prompt and type 'ipconfig' and you will see the router (gateway). Just type 'ping 192.168.###.### (or whatever number shows)

Once you have that, go to network settings and set the ipaddress to manual (first three numbers to match the router and the last number anything betwen 2 and 250). Set a different number for each computer. On my box I get a ttl (time to live) of 64 and zero for round trip.A pinmg to www.google.com shows 17 mS. If your numbers are significantly higher, the problem is with your overall connection and not BC.

Also, it's worth doing a 'cleanup' on the hard drive - search for a program called 'Puran Utilities' (it's free) and it will clean up the drive and do a complete defrag (including the registry) if you select it to be done at boot. Ashampoo Winoptimizer is also a good general purpose utility tool and it also has a setting to tweak your internet   conmnection (it's commercial so it has to be paid for, but they do have a free, cut down version available