To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How do I load sub title files?

Seizan

Hi folks. Another newbie...!

I occasionally download movies with subtitle files. The movie plays great, but I would like to incorporate the subtitles.

How do I do this? For example, a download of "Haxan - Witchcraft Through the Ages" comes with Swedish language and a .sub file for English subtitles. The movie itself is a "Windows Media Player" file. How do I load in the .sub file?

Another example - "The Adventures of Prince Achmed", a great old German animation, comes as an .avi file with an added .srt file for English subs. How do I load this in?

Is there a section of instructions I may have missed that addresses this? I don't really mind if the subs are permanent.

Sorry to be a bother with this, it's probably already been answered several times (I couldn't find it when I used the search).

Regards,

Seizan

Hi,

I suggest you get a media player that supports external subs.

Media player classic or VLC player should do fine.

The former can be downloaded here...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

the latter from videolan.org

both are quite good and should play most external subs, and both are free :)

Suspect

Hi, UnUsual!

Thanks a lot, I may go for it.

There must be a way to put subs into the movie for burning as a DVD or VCD for stand-alone payers, but I can't figure it out. Some DVD rips come with subs and they play them OK. I just downloaded "The Ramayana" Episodes 1-18, in Tamil (maybe Hindi) and it had optional subs which worked fine. Is there a way to convert the file for use with Nero or WinDVD Creator, or add it into the burn? I tried that, no results.

I'll get the Media Classic, but it's hard fighting with the family for sitting rights on my computer chair...

:D

Subtitle Files tend to consist of 2 files, an IDX and .srt/.sub

Without either one of these, it may or may not allow your media player to run its subtitles. Here's an Example:

In order for Windows Media Player to automatically load your subtitles, ensure that the movie name, and subtitle names are exactly the same, as shown below:

Movie name (the File with a Windows Media Player Icon): stargate.avi

Subtitle files: stargate.idx stargate.sub

Ensure all 3 files are in the same directory.

This method works for .avi, .mpeg, etc files, but are different to DVD files.

As for playing subs on your dvd player, so do allow external subs on your dvd video disc, or cd video disc, but most players will not.

If you want to make a dvd that will have optional subs, and work on all dvd players, then you will need to learn encoding DVDs

I have a guide for encoding dvds with nerovision posted in this forum, although its only a basic guide to get you started, since most members will not attempt a guide that takes more then a couple minutes to read.

If you want to learn encoding dvds, videohelp.com is a goodsource.

There are also countless encoding programs out there.

Suspect

• 1 month later...

Subtitle Files tend to consist of 2 files, an IDX and .srt/.sub

Without either one of these, it may or may not allow your media player to run its subtitles. Here's an Example:

In order for Windows Media Player to automatically load your subtitles, ensure that the movie name, and subtitle names are exactly the same, as shown below:

Movie name (the File with a Windows Media Player Icon): stargate.avi

Subtitle files: stargate.idx stargate.sub

Ensure all 3 files are in the same directory.

This method works for .avi, .mpeg, etc files, but are different to DVD files.

Hi

Thanks 4 the above posting. I've followed your info but don't know why my subtitle still doesn't work.

I have put the .idx file in the same directory as the .avi file. Pls see attachment (Movie 01.jpg).

The .idx file is the only subtitle file provided as the "Sub" directory contains only a .nfo, .sfv and .rar, besides the said .idx.

I played the movie with Windows Media Player 10 , Media Player Classic 6.4.9 and VLC Player 085 to no effect.

Pls help.

post-9437-1160414775.jpg