To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Can't find answer in settings guide.

desgnr

The first thing I would do is to get a good firewall and disable windows firewall.

One of the best overall is McAfee (very easy to use).

If you want the best (most secure) then sygate would be my choice.

In overall ratings (1-10), with 1 being NO firewall, and 10 being NO risc at all, I would rate sygate a strong 9, Mcafee an 8, and windows firewall a 2.

I would also recommend using a port number between 50,000 to 60,000.

Once you change ports, you can try disabling your windows firewall and see if that allows connection, but I suggest you replace firewall first.

If you insist on using windows firewall, I can get you a guide to set it up.

Suspect

There isnt much that you need to do with the SP2 firewall.

Just make sure in the SP2 firewall that Dont Allow Exceptions is UNchecked.

Then just let Bitcomet automagically configure it for you by having the ICF/ICS option checked.

What version of Norton do you have? Certain versions of Norton have their own firewalls or something called worm control that can block connections.

Are you absolutely certain that you only have a modem? a lot of modems are combination modem/routers.

Edited by bitdave (see edit history)

Ditch Norton and get Avast!'s free version. It's awesome.

Also, Suspect is being hard on the XP SP-2 firewall. The SP-2 firewall does a perfect job of blocking inbound connection attempts and properly stealths ports. XP's firewall to date has zero remote exploits, how many other firewalls boast a record like that. The problem is that XP's firewall doesn't block out bound connections. This was done on purpose because most home users don't understand how to use firewalls yet. So it has to be run with a good antivirus.

There isnt much that you need to do with the SP2 firewall.

Just make sure in the SP2 firewall that Dont Allow Exceptions is UNchecked.

Then just let Bitcomet automagically configure it for you by having the ICF/ICS option checked.

What version of Norton do you have? Certain versions of Norton have their own firewalls or something called worm control that can block connections.

Are you absolutely certain that you only have a modem? a lot of modems are combination modem/routers.

I have Norton AV 2005