To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bit Comet Settings Guide

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I'm a newbie at this torrent/forum. so i apologise before i offend anyone on this post.

I've read the Settings Guide and i think im fairly competent with computers but where the guide refers to

listening ports i've changed the port numerous times and i cant get seem to get any peers on "Remote"

inititian. I already have a sadly slow broadband connection and the current torrent i'm downloading is going sooo slowly, i've wanted to cry. At the same time i've downloaded other torrents fairly well for my circumstances.

if you can help me in any way i will greatly appreciate it.

ChRoN

Can you answer these questions? Since, it is common for some routers not to be listed at portforward.

1. Can you access your router page? (i.e. By default you can access your router's page by 192.168.2.1)
  2. If not consult your Router's manual. Also, double-check whether you really have a Router (sometimes if it is not listed at portforward.com, then you may have a modem).
  3. Can you see a section called Virtual Servers? OR Port Channels? It may be listed under Firewall.

Hi .. being a newbie to BitComet ( and Torrent downloading in general), I've been slowly learning the nomenclature .. however, I cannot find in the BitComet FAQ , Setting Guide, or HELP sections an explanation for some things .. for example, while looking at the "peer" info while downloading, there are a number of columns , some self explanatory ( download and upload rates, etc.) but some that aren't clear ( e.g.: % ( % of what?), status (__d0_0 ?), etc.

Can you point me to a page or document that explains in detail what these things mean?

i get this message how can i fix it? i'm a newbie

Unable to find the bottom of the page

Search pages you are likely to have been deleted, renamed or not allowed to use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following operations :

Ensure that the browser address of the web site address shown in column format and the correct spelling.

If the link and arrived at the website by clicking on the words, please contact the site manager, informing them of the link format is not correct.

Shoot Retreat Button to try another link.

HTTP error 404-paper catalog or not found.

Internet Information Service (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information technology (for technical support staff)

To Microsoft product support services Including search and "HTTP" and "404" title.

Opening up a "help IIS" (in IIS Manager (inetmgr) visit), and then search for the title "website set up," "conventional management tasks," and "erroneous information from the definition of" theme.

i get this message how can i fix it? i'm a newbie

Unable to find the bottom of the page

Search pages you are likely to have been deleted, renamed or not allowed to use.

Hi,

Please post questions in a new topic. This post is only to help people find the settings guide.

However, you are following a dead link, possible to a web site that no longer exsists.

Just find a different source to get your torrent/s.

Suspect

• 2 weeks later...

Hi: I've gone through the FAQ etc... and can't seem to get my download above 60KB for any length of time. My line test indicates 320KB+ down and 82KB up. I get both local and remote initiations. I am currently trying to download a file with masses of seeders and peers and I am getting around 40KB down.

Up is limited to 20KB

Wireless Router is Linksys WRT54G

Fully updated Windows XP w/ Windows firewall off.

McAfee with Firewall on and BitComet has full access.

Listen port in 50000's

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

J

• 1 month later...

i have a question

i checked at "Auto start Bitcomet when logins Window"

but when my Window starts up, Bitcomet doesn't start

sorry for my bad english

I'm not sure what version you are using, so can't really comment, but you could make a bit comet shortcut icon in your startup folder.

any programs in that folder will start, even if the program itself isn't set to start.

Suspect

Hi, first post here, hopefully someone can help =/. I have the same problem as someone before. I've followed the port forwarding steps, created a listening port and configured my router to use that as a "virtual server" etc. But still I am stuck with "local" initiations and in return, very bad transfer rates, but only for torrent programs. My internet runs quite fast and so do regular downloads (and even dl's on limewire). Any other threads I should look at? what may be the problem??

Thanks. B)

Hi,

Go to "canyouseeme.org" and test your listening port. If you get anything other then "open" as a result, you either have a firewall (or other security program) blocking your port, or your router isn't setup right.

Also, be sure you have set a static IP address on all computers sharing that router.

Suspect

Hi,

Go to "canyouseeme.org" and test your listening port. If you get anything other then "open" as a result, you either have a firewall (or other security program) blocking your port, or your router isn't setup right.

Also, be sure you have set a static IP address on all computers sharing that router.

Suspect

Ah, my families pc is connected to the router... that may be the culprit. I'll do that later today and let you know if it helps

Thanks

if your other computer already has the IP address you set as static, there will be a conflict, which will likely result in your using a different IP.

After you are done, check your IP against your routers port settings to be sure its still the same.

:)

if your other computer already has the IP address you set as static, there will be a conflict, which will likely result in your using a different IP.

After you are done, check your IP against your routers port settings to be sure its still the same.

:)

The other pc didnt have a static ip set so I did that. But still no go. I checked if my listening port was being seen from that site you gave me and it was saying the connection was timeing out, or it's being refused(gah >.<). I followed the static IP tutorial and set both pcs up with one, and when it came to the port forwarding thing where it asks you for your static IP I imput the IP that I placed under "IP Address", I assumed that was the "static" IP given to my pc.

Hm.. oops. As im typing this I checked my virtual server ip and the "private IP" was set to the router default instead of my static IP (they are very similar). So I feel like an idiot :P. I checked Bitcomet and my downloads now are showing a few remote initiatives(but im still not downloading very fast <10 KB, guess I havent found any viable sources?). canyouseeme.org is also seeing my port saying that my isp is not blocking.

SO i guess everythings going as it should? If so, thanks for your help :)

• 4 weeks later...

hello masters of BitComet,

i have a very easy or hard question to ask u in ur expertise

if i change the preferences in the 0.80 version of BitComet

can those changes be done in the 0.70 version with the smae results or do they only

work on the 0.80 version?

u see it's because i have a dsl connection but the download speed

is only 1-2kb/s on the smallest file which in my case is 6mb.

or is there a way to speed up my down. speed?

• 1 month later...

Hi all this is my first real post on this forum. I recently hooked up a Linksys WRT54G and "upgraded" to version .83. I was experiencing all kinds of issues w/ BitComet. I came to the forums and found the dd-wrt project through it. I updated the firmware but that didn't solve my issue. Then found out that it was .83 that was borked. I installed .82 and that fixed my BitComet connection issue. But I was still seeing all kinds of issues w/ the rest of my ability to connect to other sites, i.e. very slow responses. I did a lot of troubleshooting. I adjusted every port and connection setting I could find. Nothing helped. The minute I fired up BitComet I started dropping packets like it was going out of style. After a little more research on dd-wrt wiki I found the solution. To save someone the time and trouble that I went through here is the link that tells you what needs to be done on your WRT54G.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown

I was trying to follow the advice I found here and limit the # of connections. That info is INCORRECT! You need to set your max # of connections higher on your router and lower your time outs. Yahtzee, problem solved.

• 1 month later...

khalidmomani, I got your PM and sent you a reply.

Also please check your units.

8 bits = 1 Byte

1 Mbps = 1000 Kbps

Bitcomet displays KB/s (aka KBps, aka Kilo Bytes per second)

Your ISP uses Mb/s (aka Mbps, aka Mega bits per second)

Many thanks for the help - i was not aware that BT used bytes for starters :)

Anyway, my settings work as follows (in case others with similar ISP speeds to me need help)

i have Max DL = 24 Mbit = 3072 kBytes

i have Max UL = 1 Mbit = 128 kBytes

however, after doing a real world test here: h**p://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/

i find i have the following instead:

Max DL - 2182 kBytes

Max UL - 99 kBytes

Now - considering i DOUBT very much i can DL from anyone on bittorrent at my maximum DL speed, i have set that at 500kBytes (i dont DL more than 2 films at most) - i have also set UL speed to 80kBytes (99 * 0.8)

Thanks again for great help - it works :blink: hehe

BTW - should i take account of the Max speeds inside my own country (Sweden) ??

TheDodger