To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Turning off sharing?

pacman2323

Is there any way at all to completely disable sharing/uploading?

why?, so you can just screw everyone else out of their fair share? if you don't upload, someone else has to take up your slack. besides, your download rate is in direct proportion to your upload rate, in other words the more you upload the faster your downloads get.

The whole idea behind bit torrent is sharing.

If you want to download and not share, then do what others do, join a paid download group, or purchase a rapidshare account.

although bit torrent is "free", you are expected to upload as much as you download.

Please either play by the rules, or don't use bit torrent.

Suspect

You are aware that BitComet is against the torrent rules? "This in turn allowed users that hadn't signed up to avoid download and upload ratio restrictions" ~ Wiki

If you want to download and not share, then do what others do, join a paid download group, or purchase a rapidshare account.

For a moderator you don't understand BitComet. BitComet prioritises other BitComet uses over the users of other clients. BitComet is a program made for leachers. How about you go moderate the Azureus forums instead of BitComet's POS!!!!

Will that allow me to turn off sharing? I really hate not being able to use bittorrent. And does that get good speeds, cause I remember I used the actual BitTorrent program and it sucked. Then I switched to BitComet and my speeds were great.

Azureus > BitComet

It is a fact. There is no room for arguing.

Will that allow me to turn off sharing? I really hate not being able to use bittorrent. And does that get good speeds, cause I remember I used the actual BitTorrent program and it sucked. Then I switched to BitComet and my speeds were great.

The reason that your speeds were great is because BitComet breaks the torrent rules. It allows people who don't upload to get good speeds.

What is your share ratio?

Azureus > BitComet^BitTorent

I merged yours posts.

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

You are aware that BitComet is against the torrent rules? "This in turn allowed users that hadn't signed up to avoid download and upload ratio restrictions" ~ Wiki

For a moderator you don't understand BitComet. BitComet prioritises other BitComet uses over the users of other clients. BitComet is a program made for leachers. How about you go moderate the Azureus forums instead of BitComet's POS!!!!

Ben, it is you that are missinformed...

Bit comet was a pioneer in using distributed hash tables, and the fact that versions .59 and .60 had a flaw that allowed it to not respect the privacy flag was corrected.

Bit comet does NOT pioritise other bit comet users in ANY way.

If you want to discuss this further in a civilized mannor, you may come back tomorrow and do so. Otherwise I will expect you to act in our forum as you would have guests behave in your own.

I WILL NOT tolorate flaming of anyone here

Suspect

Right but I've already gotten notices about 'distributing' from my ISP so I had to stop using bittorent completely.

These "notices" were about downloading, not uploading.

I suggest you get peer guardian, as it will prevent these anti p2p groups from getting your ip address.

and just so you know, they will get your IP address even if you don't upload, so your point is moot.

As I mentioned, you can join groups that don't require uploading, but in my opinion, bit torrent is safer, as I wouldn't want fincial records that could be traced back to me, if said company was sued and turned over all its records.

Suspect

These "notices" were about downloading, not uploading.

I suggest you get peer guardian, as it will prevent these anti p2p groups from getting your ip address.

and just so you know, they will get your IP address even if you don't upload, so your point is moot.

As I mentioned, you can join groups that don't require uploading, but in my opinion, bit torrent is safer, as I wouldn't want fincial records that could be traced back to me, if said company was sued and turned over all its records.

Suspect

They didn't say downloading, they said 'distributing' meaning uploading. They said sharing is against the rules. The notice said it was a different company who had reported me though, it wasn't the ISP itself, so maybe peer guardian will solve my problem.

Yes, peer guardian will stopp 99.9% or more of these companies from connecting to you. However, as I stated, they will connect to you even if you are not uploading.

The bottom line is that bit torrent is completely legal.

If you choose to use it to download something that is not legal, that is your choice, but they have to prove that 1. you knew it was illegal 2. you did infact download it. 3. that it IS infact illegal.

However if Microsoft (for example) downloads a torrent of windows (in order to collect IP addresses, which they do)

Then they proceed to court to force your ISP to give your name to them. They need to prove that its illegal, HOWEVER, they joined in on that torrent, so helped to distribute it. Therefore the court could find that it becomes legit, beings microsoft was distributing it.

They know this, and are in no hurry to test this theory...

Even if they do get past this hurdle, they then will have your name (which isn't likely)

Now they have the same hurdle to go over AGAIN, and they have to prove that you KNEW it was illeagal.

So far, they have only gone after the actual uploaders (authors) of the torrents (those who broke the software license by distributing it).

As for common downloaders, they have an agressive campaine of threat letters (as you have witnessed)

My opinion is delete the files they mentioned, and don't reply to the letter.

Suspect

Ok, thanks for the help. I downloaded it and it seems to be working and all. My torrents are going quite a bit slower, but I guess that's the price you pay. :)

If you're running PG2 here is a good middle road set up. Firts turn off HTTP blocking, its a nice feature but it slows things down. Now on to the lists, you should only be using these 3 lists, p2p, ads, & spyware. If you're in an eastern country then you can use the government lists if you want/need to. Do not add the edu lists as those block dorms with high speed lans. B)

Do not use any lists from Bluetack. <_< Their lists are obscenely bloated and block a heck of a lot of legit peers & sites.

Incorrect. Being for first client to client to use Cohen's Mainline DHT BC had a little bug in version 0.59 & 0.60 where it could turn on and allow users to use DHT on private .torrents. People then started deleteing the announce url (you can do this in other clients as well) and only using the DHT to connect to other peers. This bug was fixed as of version 0.61.

First off the Azureus forums are pretty much useless. Now as to what you are wrong about this time. BitComet never prioritized other BitComet clients over other normal users, this was a side effect. BitComet versions 0.59-0.62 had their own PHE (Protocol Header Encryption). So they could share better with each other bypassing early forms of ISP throttling. The BitTorrent algorithm looks for the best connections to share with, if that happens to be other clients that can bypass throttling then so be it.

Version 0.63 dropped the old PHE for the new PE/MSE developed jointly by µTorrent & Azureus. So now the big three share evenly with each other. And yes they shut out lesser connections from other clients lacking PE who are being heavily throttled.

So why you’re at it why don’t you go criticize Azureus for only connecting with other Azureus clients through Az’s DHT when a tracker has died for long periods of time.

(NOTE: To date only Mainline 4.4.2 & KTorrent 2.x have added PE.)

Azureus > BitComet

It is a fact. There is no room for arguing.

Let me correct you yet again. The features Azureus has that BC doesn't, a built in tracker. Plug-ins Az has to match BC: a couple of IRC Chat plug-ins that are useless. The plug-ins that add features BC doesn't have: a couple of different Web UIs, Sudoku. The rest are useless GUI improvments. BitComet's chat is built in. BitComet's tracker is external because not many people need it. BitComet has the same PEX as Azureus while their DHT is different; BitComet's is compatible with everyone else while Az's only works with Az. BitComet however has the far more useful NAT Traversial! :P

The reason that your speeds were great is because BitComet breaks the torrent rules. It allows people who don't upload to get good speeds.

This is just a blatant lie. Why? Because it’s not possible, BC would have to upload to download. If BC didn't upload the swarm would snub it once again because of the BitTorrent algorithm. Just because you don’t see a peer uploading to someone doesn’t mean they don’t share.

What is your share ratio?

Azureus > BitComet^BitTorent

Like all clients their share ratio is what ever they let the .torrent run to before shutting it down.