To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

What's wrong with my BitComet?

Can somebody tell me if there's something going on with my BitComet? I've been using BitComet 0.70 for a long time and everything worked just fine until 2 days ago. Suddenly my total download rate decreased to below 10kb/s. Everyday I run up to 15 downloads simultaneously (animes + j-movies + mp3s + j-doramas) from different trackers and got a total of around 100kb/s per day but now it hardly reaches 30. The wierd thing is, this happens to all tracker (jpopsuki, d-addicts, scarywater, boxtorrents, and many other private trackers).

It can't be a coincidence that all the tracker are down, but I've tried all the torrent, but couldn't get the seeds, not even newly posted anime torrents which are highly seeded. Sometimes I got connected to some seed but still 0.0 kb/s.

I've tried using other clients - Azureus, uTorrent, BitLord, but got the same result. I've formatted my pc and still no improvements. I've done a bandwidth test and the result is fine. I've checked all my settings including firewall. I've been using the same settings for long and nothing's wrong.

Surfing and direct download are faster than usual due to the free bandwidth. I can't seem to connect to the seeds. I don't know what happen, all the seeds are suddenly gone. The same torrents had plenty of seeds 2 days ago and I got the rate of 15-30 kb/s per torrent. I've been using BitComet for more than a year and haven't got this type of problem before. Does anyone know what is the problem?

This is a sample:

2days ago:

1928 peers / 13 seeds connected = 25kb/s

Total dl rate = 100 kb/s

Now:

1928 peers / 2 seeds connected = 0 kb/s for the whole day!

Total dl rate = 9kb/s

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

Ive got exactly the same prob mate, ive just had to reinstall xp after gettin the blue screen of death and wen ive reinstalled bitcomet 0.70 (same version as b4) im hitting 30 kb/s max, before the reformat and install i was regularly hitting 240kb/s!!!! Now its takin days instead of mins to dload lost for example. HELP

up to 15 downloads simultaneously

Before I get to your problem, I would say by running so many torrent, you are slowing everyones download whom you are connected to.

When you run one torrent, you are sharing your already limited upload bandwidth among many peers, and when you run 15 torrent, you have hundreds of peers connected and not one of them could get any amount of data worth mentioning.

If I was running this torrent, I would ban your IP address.

I strongly suggest you get one at a time, or two possibly, but if you want to know the main reason torrents run slow, this is it.

You should find that when running one or two torrents, since your uploading much more to your connected peers, you will download much faster as well, so you can still download as much overall, just don't download more then your able to upload.

Now with this said, we have seen alot of reports lately about bit torrent traffic slowing considerably. I suspect this might be due to you ISP throttling b/t traffic. If you havn't already, try enabling protocall encryption. If your isp is using a new method of detection, it might be a while before its effects are defeated, so check back from time to time.

Suspect

Before I get to your problem, I would say by running so many torrent, you are slowing everyones download whom you are connected to.

When you run one torrent, you are sharing your already limited upload bandwidth among many peers, and when you run 15 torrent, you have hundreds of peers connected and not one of them could get any amount of data worth mentioning.

If I was running this torrent, I would ban your IP address.

I strongly suggest you get one at a time, or two possibly, but if you want to know the main reason torrents run slow, this is it.

You should find that when running one or two torrents, since your uploading much more to your connected peers, you will download much faster as well, so you can still download as much overall, just don't download more then your able to upload.

Thank you for your advice, and I get your point but I don't think the problem is as simple as that. I've tried running a single healthy torrent but still couldn't pick up the speed. I always run up to 15 downloads simultaneously not totally out of greed but because I couldn't depend on 1 torrent. It's not like BitComet could maintain the speed until its completion. Or do I have to keep monitoring in front of my pc for the whole time to prevent any waste of bandwidth which I paid?

I read the rules, terms & condition authorized by each tracker before starting to download anything. I seed and keep my ratio whenever it is needed. I've been downloading from them for years and I follow their rules because I still want to download from them for years to come. Luckily up until now I never get banned. I do seed my own files sometimes and when I do, I restricted my downloads. But for most torrents especially the animes, even when I want to upload after completion, the upload rate won't increase or the torrrent won't upload at all even when I closed other downloads. So what's the point?

Now with this said, we have seen alot of reports lately about bit torrent traffic slowing considerably. I suspect this might be due to you ISP throttling b/t traffic. If you havn't already, try enabling protocall encryption. If your isp is using a new method of detection, it might be a while before its effects are defeated, so check back from time to time.

That means if they really detect and control the traffic then, there's nothing I can do, is that it? I don't quite understand all the technical stuff. If you could give some guide of how to enable the protocall (or protocol) encryption, I would really appreciate it.

That means if they really detect and control the traffic then, there's nothing I can do, is that it? I don't quite understand all the technical stuff. If you could give some guide of how to enable the protocall (or protocol) encryption, I would really appreciate it.

If they are using newly developed protocall encryption detection, then it might be awhile before it is defeated, but I'm sure a lot of people are working on a way to do this, and its only a matter of time till someone does.

I think it only took three days for microsofts WGA to be defeated, so hopefull this will be too.

You could ask your isp if they are throttling Bit Torrent traffic. For example you could tell them you are trying to download the latest Linux distribution (completely legal), and its going very slow.

Suspect