To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

cakewalk sonar v6 and rar misbehaviour

medracer

Near the end of a long DL, I notice some of the RAR bundles dont come out as looking like RAR bundles. PC doesnt seem to know what they are and gives "opens with unknown application". Will this be a problem when it comes to burning or mounting? Does one just treat them as RAR same as all the others? NE1 got any precise info about this torrent? ;)

With multipart .rar archives, for some reason windows only recognises the first 30 or so parts, but winrar will still handle them properly.

I don't know why this is, but the point is moot, since they still work fine, so if you have any problem extracting them, then please reply with more info, and a screenshot if possible.

Suspect

Thanx guys, at least that makes me feel a little more confident, but the real work hasnt started yet. No1: I cant mount this programme at all on the computer I DL'd it onto. I have to move it to the PC at home. Can I shift it using my Data Traveller at, say, 20 bundles a time. The PC at work doesnt have anything to burn files with, being rather old and decripid (like me) so I cant see any other way to shift the program home. Will it work, or will it corrupt the whole thing if I try shifting it piecemeal like that?. No2: I notice a surprising variety of file-sizes with this particular piece of software when I look around the Internet. The one I DL'd is 2.45Gb. I have seen the same piece of software on sites sized at 300Mb, 650Mb, 2.0Gb and even 4.5Gb. Why all these different sizes, so hugely different? How does one know which to DL? Just puzzled, that's all. :huh:

Lastly, RAR files and I never seem to get on well together either. Here's hoping!

as for .rar, it is a much better, and more relyable then .zip.

There is no reason you can't transfer the files to your home pc, I suggest you leave it in the multipart .rar archive, and copy them to the same folder when you extract.

As for the different size, this is not uncommon, since some might be retail versions, including multi lingual, and tortorials and such, where the basic program is much smaller. There are also many versions for most software.

Suspect

There is no reason you can't transfer the files to your home pc, I suggest you leave it in the multipart .rar archive, and copy them to the same folder when you extract.

Thanx again, Suspect. What I meant by transferring them piecemeal is that I have no way of transfering the full 2.45 Gb in one go: the Data Traveller holds only 1Gb, while the facilities for burning to DVD just dont exist on the work PC. Finally, of course, I cant transfer to home PC via Internet or any other link because I'm still waiting for the incredibly useless Turkish State Phone company to install the landline, just in case you wondered! I'm sure you understood this, and if I'm wasting your time with this clarification and can just go ahead with transferring say 600MB at a time, via the Data Traveller, to a ready prepared folder at home, then just say "U GOT IT". As you may have realised, I'm not especially well-informed on torrent matters and consider myself somewhat technologically challenged.

Many thanx again for your prompt and considerate help.

If you have WinRAR at work ( or want to download 7-Zip which handles both ZIP and RAR files) then I'd suggest you unRAR the whole thing at work, and re-archive it into chunks that are the right size to fit onto your Data Traveler. You'll be able to transfer them with minimum waste that way.

If you have WinRAR at work ( or want to download 7-Zip which handles both ZIP and RAR files) then I'd suggest you unRAR the whole thing at work, and re-archive it into chunks that are the right size to fit onto your Data Traveler. You'll be able to transfer them with minimum waste that way.

Perhaps that would be more sensible: actually tried shifting the first 16 bundles yesterday, r00 to r15 (there are 50!). Strangely, when I came to transferring them onto the home PC, I discovered that the rar numbers had disappeared, although they showed up on the progress box while transfering. Why dont the numbers of the files show up on the home PC? I've got a very bad feeling about this!