To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Not downloading like normal

tiffmc

Hi, I use BitComet 0.70 quite often and do not have too many problems with it. My download rate is usually somewhere around 50 KB/s.. however last night I attempted to download a torrent with a sufficient number of seeds and peers, although my download rate is now no higher than 12 KB/s. I don't understand.. I have not changed any of my settings and my router and ports are configured correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tiff.

In the last few weeks the anti p2p ISPs have enabled a new technology to detect and throttle bit torrent traffic.

Although they have not implemented it where I live (usa), but we have been getting lots of reports of slow downloads.

I assume you are using protocall encryption enabled, if not, then do so. You can also use a proxy or comunition with tracker.

If this doesn't help, then don't be too worried, as this new technology is sure to be defeated soon.

Suspect

EDIT: Tiff, if you post the same question more then once, you will recieve an official warning and possible restrictions on your posting prevledges. Our staff is very busy answering posts, and deleting duplicate posts uses our valuable time.

A sudden drop in speed MIGHT be due to something your ISP has done, but it's not likely at all. It's far more likely that something has changed on your end.

The most usual case is that your firewall is now blocking your listen port. Check this by looking at your active torrents to see if you have any peer connections with REMOTE initiations. If there are none, if they are all either LOCAL or NAT, then your listen port is now blocked.

But you didn't change anything? Portforward.com has a section about setting up a static IP address on your computer. If you ignored this, overlooked it or did it wrong, you are now paying the price for that. Start over, delete the old rule, and do it again.

Many software firewalls don't treat upgrades as upgrades, they think it's a whole new program, and so block it unless told otherwise. When you change versions, or even if you haven't and suddenly slow down, delete and re-make your firewall rule to allow BitComet outbound traffic, and inbound traffic on the listen port for both TCP and UDP.

@ The UnUsual Suspect

I apologise for my double post but it was an accident. I didn't mean to post the same question twice and I certainly didn't mean to waste your time. It was a simple error on my behalf and I apologise.

I don't know too much about bitcomet/torrents etc so if you could please explain what you mean by protocall encryption and proxy etc it would be much appreciated.

@ kluelos

Thank you for your reply, however I have both REMOTE and LOCAL initiations so I don't think it has anything to do with the listen port.

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
If this doesn't help, then don't be too worried, as this new technology is sure to be defeated soon.

This word from you let me feel relief, as far as i know. The new tech will be defeated soon, nothing is special, else no need the existence of antivirus...hope the launching of greatest bitcomet version can save us all...

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)