To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

newbie needing help

new user here, trying to download files, am getting some files but most of the files i try to download come up as foreign language, like chineese, hope im explaining myself. i do a search and find files, but when i click on the link i get a page up that i can read, am i doing something wrong? remember im new here.

More than likely the torrent site you are using is a foreign site

try searching another site for the files you want

Here are a few torrent sites

Just to add since your new, you dont have to use Bitcomet to download the torrent files

just use your regular browser and when you download a .torrent it should open up Bitcomet for you

Bit comets internet browser displays Internet Explorer ERROR messages in chinese. We are aware of this and in will be corrected in future versions, so just understand when you see this, it is because the page you are trying to display is unavailble.

Suspect

Thnks guys, certainly helped going to other download torrents, can access heaps more files now, but my download speed are very slow, am on a 512 plan, they dont regulate p2p downloads so thats not the problem, will paste a copy of a file i have been downloading for all to see,

17.6%

584 MB

13 (Max Possible: 13)

28 (Max Possible: 182)

4 KB/s From 5 Peers

2 KB/s To 3 Peers

3.75 MB (0 B rubbish data dropped)

1.67 MB

156.09 MB (0 B rubbish data dropped)

1.73 MB

156.10 MB (0 B rubbish data dropped)

183.99 MB

3 KB/s within 12:31:57

4 KB/s within 12:32:08

hope that makes sense, it would let me copy the lot. i have dowload and upload speeds set at capacity. on other sites i can get a good 50 kbs. any suggestions. thanks.

still having no luck increasing d/l speed, can get up to 35 kb/s in limewire, but still around 3kb/s with torrents, i have set preferences as in suggested settings, im using a usb adsl modem not a router, what should i have random port set at?. i have also disabled all firewalls and antivirus to see if that made any difference, but it didnt improve things. any other help would be appreciated.

bit torrent protocall provides more download to those that upload the most, so the idea is to upload as much as possible, however if all of your upload bandwidth is used for data, your comunication to peers/tracker will be slow, which will result in lower downloads.

The idea is to limit your upload so you can provide quick responces to requests for data.

Finding the limit that works best for your connection will take some trial and error to determine.

keep in mind that you are not going to constantly get alot more download then your upload limit, but on very well seeded torrents you should get much higher download if your settings are right.

Suspect

thanks again suspect for your quick reply. my upload rate is usually above my download rate, download total is usually about 8 kbs upload about 12 kbs. so should i ajust max upload rate or what?. also what setting should i have in random port, cuerrently i have it set at 27421 as i think that was the original setting.

thanks for all your help guys, however i still cnat seem to get much speed, i found that by just having one download at a time i can get about 12 KB/s. another query i have is that ive just finished downloading a movie of about 650 mb. however when i tried to play it it said the files were xdmnx-ggwusb4.r47 or simiiar, the type of files were named R43 or similiar, they appears to be 40 odd files, each about 14.3 mb. any ideas?

You spoke of "setting your random port at 27421".

This is wrong.

First, of course, it's a listen port. Second, it's one or the other, not both. So you carefully enter your port number, then you click the "random port" button, and undo what you did in entering the port number.

Choose one port and stick with it. Pick one in the range of about 49000 to 65535 and enter that. Now don't touch the "random port" button.

Open the chosen port in your firewall(s), and check it at canyouseeme.org to make sure it's really open.