To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Kvcd-burning

Meverick

How long on average should it take to burn a Kvcd.I use latast version of Nero,I've also set up overburn preferences.The Kcvd I'm burning at the moment is Departed by Hockney downloaded from Demonoid,but it seems to be taking an age to burn-currently on 70% after 1hr 15 mins.Is this normally the case.

No, it shouldn't take more then a few minutes to burn to CDr disc.

Can you tell me what version of nero you are using? (full version number) and what kind of disc?

NOTE: if you are trying to reencode it to a different format, like DVD, it could take this long, but you will not get good results. KVCD is meant to burn to a CDr disc, which most dvd players will play. DVD discs cannot play this form of highly compressed video as well as CDr, this is why we use them.

Suspect

ps. Was just talking to Hockney five minutes ago :D

Something is surely wrong if its taking that long to burn.

I can tell you that CDrw discs are well know for being incompatible with certain burners/players/drives.

I generally use only CDr discs for my Kvcd movies.

When you burn, be sure to shut down all running programs and use slowest speed to burn (still should burn in several minutes, even at slow speed).

The reason we recommend slow burn speeds, is even if you have a good burn, and it verifies as good, if you burnt it at fast speed, your dvd player might not be able to read the data fast enough to keep up, and you will end up with playback issues, such as pixelation, or stuttering.

If you really want to be sure your burn is good, then besides closing all programs, also power off modem (stops incoming interuptions), or disconnect your LAN cable.

Suspect

ps. nero 6.6.0.0 and above will burn kvcd fine, and version 7.2.7.0 and above will also.

I expected this, as your nero must have stopped responding.

If you want, you can attach your burn log to this post, but I suspect that the burn failed for one of two reasons.

Either related to your cdrw disc, or sharing cpu time. If you were surfing the web, and making posts here during the burn, nero was forced to share cpu time with other programs, and when a burn has to start, stop, start over and over, it is surely going to fail a fair percentage of the time.

Suspect

I get the feeling you're doing something fundamentally wrong, here.

One of the problems with Nero is that SmartStart is too smart for its own good and often outsmarts itself. It will lead you into doing things that don't need to be done and should not be done.

You're thinking "movie", which is not wrong, but when you tell SmartStart "movie" it thinks "I must convert this into a movie." That's wrong. It's already IN the format that it needs to be. All that Nero needs to do is burn the contents, just as they are, without converting them.

In short, KVCD disk images are data, and Nero doesn't need to worry its itsy-bitsy little head about what sort of data it is -- just burn it. So for SmartStart you need to think "data", not "movie", and "disk image".

I agree, I think you are not burning this properly.

I suggest you have a look at the guide Hockney made, which I posted in our forum here.

You also welcome to come see the guides we have at tus kvcd group, as registration is now open (link in siggy).

If you had saved the log file, I could tell you more.

My only other thoughts concerning this would be that the cdrw disc isn't compatible.

Suspect

Either myself or Nero doing something wrong.I did burn following the Hockney guide(setting up overburn etc.) I've just burnt it again using the same Cd-rw disc but using Ashampoo burning studio 6 - this time the copy is good(a little dark but hey) and it took 19 mins.Like I say either me or Nero having a bad day.

I just downloaded this one myself, was planing on watching tonight... :)

Anyhow, for future referrence, the "DVDrip" or DVDscr versions will always look the best.

This one, Telecine, is made by running the film through a scanning machine, to make digital copies of each frame, then converted into video.

Its about as good as it gets for new releases, but not close to DVD quality.

Hockney also did a T/S (telesnyc) version of this film, which uses a "Cam" source for video (recorded with camcorder), and a digital audio track added (so although the video isn't great, at least you won't hear people eating popcorn)

Suspect

Svcd uses a fixed bitrate, which means the same movie will take about 3 cdr discs to encode, where Kvcd lowers bit rate when possible, to further compress the video.

If your not worried about the final size, or how many discs it will take, then Svcd is a good choice, but for downloading, Kvcd is a much better choice.

Also, Kvcd is encoded to display on your TV screen, and won't look as good if you want to play it on a computer, but a well encoded kvcd will look almost as good as a DVD when played on a dvd player.

Another factor is that Svcd won't play on as many dvd players as kvcd, or vcd.

Suspect

When I mentoined the picture was a little dark(The Departed),that was on my pc,It worked perfectly on my DVD player-pretty good film too.I'd just like Kvcd to be in 4.3.

But a great up though.

Ps...as anyone checked out Nero 7.5.7.0 LITE R1 - Serpentor - 28.03MB on demonoid.It's a repack reducing the unused bits of nero 7...Just want to know if it's worth dl and uninstalling my nero 6 for.

As for the aspect ratio, many kvcd are in full screen, it just depends on the source that is used.

Many DVD players can zoom in with widescreen discs.

However, since this is a Telecine source, with the orignal film being scanned, it would be extremely difficult to convert to full screen.

I would check our forum (or demoniod) in the future, as we will likely have a dvdrip version as soon as a dvd source becomes availble.

With newly released movies, we have to use what is availble when encoding. On some movies, DVDscreeners are leaked out (a dvd made to submit the movie for award consideration). Although these are very good quality, they often have scrolling text saying "property of blahblahblah" every few minutes, and some have a serial number that has been "obscured" (blurred out) to keep the movie industry from knowing which copy was leaked. These DVDscr versions are very popular, and sometimes come out before the movie is released :D

Of course we also do "Cam" and "telesnyc" movies, but "Tus" will never do the really bad ones, so you can assume if there is no tus version, then all the versions out there are poor quality.

Suspect