To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

VISTA and BitComet

SUPER

Hi

Can someone please help me out..

Ok this is my problem, im running MicroShite Vista on my pc i loaded BitComet so far so good..

Ok cued a few downloads and all ran well, Now once the download is complete lets say a video clip.. I can only preview it with BitComet and if i check the download folder it is empty..!

I can not find my downloaded files??

Is there anyone on this forum using vista??

Please help

SUPER :lol:

Anyway Vista is a whole new OS under the hood as well as the GUI. Do not install BitComet to it's default location of "C:\\Program Files\BitComet\etc" Try installing it to the My Documents folder. And do not mess with the TCP/IP half-open connection limit.

Thanx for wateva!! :P

Here is the problem.

Vista is hiding your data in "program files" folder and sub folders.

You need to change their properties to be viewed by all users, or change the location of your default downloads. I suggest you make a download folder within "my documents" folder, or on desktop, as both of these locations are confirmed to work.

Suspect

ps. petty bickering removed from this topic

You should be aware that the idea of storing data in the Program Files tree is generally deprecated, and really never should have been done at all. Vista is going to make that tougher on those who try anyway. Unfortunately, that is BitComet's default behaviour.

You should move your default download location to somewhere outside that tree, which is good practice anyway. Put it somewhere you can find it. You'll still need to go through the steps to make the existing downloads visible, and once you can see them, you'll want to move them (especially any that are incomplete) to the new location. When you start BC, make sure the current tasks are pointing to the current location.

Well i changed the properties on all folder and file extensions, and still no go to find them.. I also downed Carbon and that is well over a few gigs but cant find that to.. till the BitComet gurls and guys release a Vista ready app ill have to run BitComet on a serperate drive for me downloads.. Or someone comes up with workaround for downloads!!

Thanx for the help

I have a suggestion for Vista users with this problem.

Of course it would be best if you change the download location BEFORE downloading files, but if you have files in your program file section, try booting to command prompt (safe mode), and copying the folder to another location.

If vista is like winxp, you will have access to all folders this way.

Suspect

If vista is like winxp, you will have access to all folders this way.

The problem is that Vista is something completely new from MS, it has Unix built into it.

BitComet installs everything into Program files folder

C:\Program Files\BitComet

this itself is not bad. The problem occurs when BC loads its running temp files in sub-folders

C:\Program Files\BitComet\Torrents

When it should be

C:\Documents and Settings\user account\Application Data\BitComet\Torrents

Vista has new security added, plus Unix style security. So programs that don't do things properly won't run. This is why I tell people to change the install location of BitComet from Program Files to their My Documents folder when running Vista until this is fixed.

I've had luck with Vista by just pointing the download location towards the default folder I have setup on another drive. I also now install BitComet itself to a drive other than the one Vista is installed on. So far no more Vista related problems.

Me too. When I installed BitComet after rapeing my beloved hardware with Vista, I chose a different drive for my download folder. This also improves Vistas overall handling since my download folder tends to get rather large (:-) and slows down my computer (indexing, etc.)

I do not recommend putting any big folders/programs on the same drive as your operating system.

Good luck with Vista! (God know we need it!:-)

The general rule for Microsoft has always been to wait before installing anything new, until at least Service Pack 2 is released. Looks like that hasn't changed. I'm still waiting to hear any compelling reason to upgrade to Vista, and haven't heard one yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

For Vista users: Go to the folder where you installed Bitcomet and look at the downloads folder of Bitcomet. If you dont see any files even if it is fully downloaded, just click on the "compatibility files" button on top of the folder window. You will see your files..