To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Internet slow down while BitComet is on

I've been getting this problem for a few months, my internet became very slow and non responsive (IE, Firefox, Games, Outlook timeout on recieving email etc). My other computers in the house (one PC one Mac) had no problems at all, after 2-3 months I can't take it anymore and reinstalled a couple of days ago, internet was acting normal again on this computer.

Then I installed BitComet and the problem came back. When it's on every webpage takes a lot longer to load and sometimes would time out, I close the program and it's fine again. Turning off the DHT as some threads suggested while I done a search on this helped a little but it's still a lot slower with BC on than off. It's not a bandwidth issue as I have a 8mb/448kb connection, I limit the upload to 10kbps and download at 30kbps and problem is still there.

Any suggestions before I'm forced to try a new client? I'm using 0.59 and when I run firefox + BC as I'm typing now 1% cpu and 40% ram is in use. I use Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0, prior to this reinstall I used NIS 2005.

Many thanks in advance.

Though, just a warning sometimes our latest client release i.e. 0.68 does seem to be incompatible with a small portion of users. So...if you really need to update, use v 0.64.

Back to the issue. Katoshi have you noticed when this issue started to get out of hand? I.e. when did your normal internet browsing start to get laggy?

Because, if you were using BitComet before, and nothing was wrong...it may be something to do with your Port settings for your router, did you accidentally use the same port with other internet-using applications?

OK I must be blind as when I checked through all the FAQs I totally missed the XP SP2 connection limit thing! I've patched it and it now works pretty much the same on/off. It also helped a lot of things as I always have a lot of programs that requires internet access running, and it slowed my computer up sometimes even without BC on.

Main reason I didn't update the client is that I've had problems when I updated to I think 0.63 and a lot of trackers blocked BitComet. I'm not sure if it'd still be blocked so I'm taking it the safe side and using an older version. If this ain't an issue anymore I'll get it updated.

You should update to v0.63 or v0.64 because that way you can take advantage of the new Protocol Encryption that uTorrent and Azureus are using now, it should help you connect to more peers.

If you find some dumb tracker that is still blocking Bitcomet then just use uTorrent 1.5 for that tracker.

Hi Katoshi, I Hope it's ok with ya if i share my problems too.

For more info, plz refer to patricks' thread also. I've wrote something there too.

( http://forums.bitcomet.com/index.php?showtopic=199 )

Ok guys, As Katoshi Just explained in his first post... i'm having the same exact problem for close to 6 - 8 months...

Here are the details, i hope we can work together to figure things out.

Os version = Win Xp SP2 with latest updates and fixes.

Router = Linksys Wireless-G, Model : WRT54G ver. 3.1.

Firmware Version : v4.00.7

Not using 'windows xp firewall' but using 'zone alarm pro' instead

Anti-Virus Software would be AVG.

Have got spybot & ad-aware installed too.( Oways Run updates and scans at least 3-4times a month.)

I have also installed the TCPIP patch and open up 100 slots.

( EvID4226Patch223d-en )

I'm using Bitcomet version 0.64. I've not tried 0.68.. not to sure if i must... seems alittle buggy...

I've done port forwarding thus i can see local and remote peers connection aswell...

Then there is the Linksys WRT54G patch which i've not tried yet cos it says the router get's jammed in abt 5 running days.. i hardly leave my cpu on for 5 days most would be 2-4days. And i would power on and of sometimes in between...

I've also tried running bitcomet without DHT on but the problem is still the same...

My Max Upload ANd Download would be, 30kb/s UpL & 235kb/s DL.

My bitcomets setting for the UL & DL is 14kbs/s & No limite for the DL.

PLz, any help and suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

ElfanZo,

Your problem is the router see here

either use the third-party firmware or get a new router

also ZA is no good for p2p, you should completely remove it and just use the firewall built into SP2 or if you want outbound protection get Kerio (its free, powerful, and easy to use).

ElfanZo,

Your problem is the router see here

either use the third-party firmware or get a new router

also ZA is no good for p2p, you should completely remove it and just use the firewall built into SP2 or if you want outbound protection get Kerio (its free, powerful, and easy to use).

Alrite.. i'll try kerio out.. bcoz i need to stop some programs from making outbound activities. As for XP firewall i'm pretty sure it only protects the cpu from incoming interference. Hmmm... Kerio... alrite i'll look into that.

As for the router.. were u referring to this - > 'Special note for users with Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS routers, there are severe problems with them when running any P2P app (read for fix)'

If u were referring to that.. alrite, i'll try it out.. but i've read it twice and it's pretty complex.... bloody h***... but i'll try it...

Make sure to completely remove ZA before installing Kerio

After you install Kerio then read this

As for flashing your router most of the stuff on this page you dont need to worry about anymore, it was for older firmwares

Just make sure to download the latest correct firmware for upgrading your particular router from the stock firmware

and then follow all their directions for flashing it using the web interface.

Use either

HyperWRT

or

DD-WRT

Do some reading at those sites before you flash the firmware and make sure to follow all the steps properly

Make sure you disable your firewall/antivirus before trying to flash the firmware

After you flash the firmware dont forget to redo the portforwarding rule for Bitcomet

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure to completely remove ZA before installing Kerio

After you install Kerio then read this

As for flashing your router most of the stuff on this page you dont need to worry about anymore, it was for older firmwares

Just make sure to download the latest correct firmware for upgrading your particular router from the stock firmware

and then follow all their directions for flashing it using the web interface.

Use either

HyperWRT

or

DD-WRT

Do some reading at those sites before you flash the firmware and make sure to follow all the steps properly

Make sure you disable your firewall/antivirus before trying to flash the firmware

After you flash the firmware dont forget to redo the portforwarding rule for Bitcomet

Ladies & Gents! I think i might have just solve this long-term internet issue thanks to bitdave!

I took bitdave's advice and upgraded my WRT54G firmware first! AND WHEN ON TO FLASH my firware with HyperWRT's firmware. Results were really good. Have been testing it in and out for the past week.. Now i could use bitcomet and surf the internet with no probs at all. It's a little slow while surfing that's pretty understandable due to downloading and uploading issues. But other then that... IT SURE IS h*** WORKING!

Thanks mate.

CheerS!

Some more things. I won't comment on the XP SP-2 limit at the moment, but I will talk about the firewall. The XP SP-2 Firewall has full inbound protection with a history of 0 remote exploits. Some people don't like it because it's controls are a little basic compared to other firewalls. The only real issue with this firewall is that it doesn't block outbound connections.

Yea.. that's why i even gave up using any firewall.. didn't even used kerio.. I turned on my XP2 firewall since i'm not really bothered abt outbound connections at the moment.. i guess all is well now. Keepin my fingers crossed too. :P

Blocking outbound connections, yeah.... something here about a horse and a barn door... I forget.

Maybe it's just me, (though frankly I don't care if it is just me, I'm right and you're wrong), but software that carefully trains its customers into behavioral problems is culpably defective, broken, damaged, and wilfully negligent, viz:

"Hey, iexplore is trying to access the internet, should I let it?"

"OMG! I dunno!?!? Sounds like something I shouldn't do, or why would my Super Zoned-Out Firewall +++ be asking? I better tell it no." (tempus fugit) "Ok, that was a goof and it made me look stupid, too. Anyway, yeah, let the browser access the internet"

"Hey, mblfrtz is trying to access the internet, should I let it?"

"Umm, I wonder what mblfrtz is? I better look it up on google. ... Hmm, well, I guess it's ok."

"Hey, frobnatz is trying to access the internet, should I let it?"

"I don't know what frobnatz is. Gotta look that up too. ... Uh, ok, didn't understand that, but go ahead"

"Hey, dreeble is trying to access the internet, should I let it?"

"And just wtf is dreeble? I know, I know, look it up... geeze, that took a long time. Anyway, go ahead."

"Hey, mblwrt is trying to access the internet, should I let it?"

"Well, since all the others have been ok, I guess this one's fine too."

"Hey, bltzfk is trying to access the internet, should I let it?"

"Yeah, fine"

"Hey, roztstk is trying to access the internet, should I let it?"

"Nag, nag, nag, just go ahead"

"Hey, ftfflwt is trying to access the internet, should I let it?"

"Yeah, go away"

"Hey, (DDOS-AttackZombie) is trying to access the internet, should I let it?"

"whatever"

"Hey, (SuperSpamSpreader) is trying to access the internet, should I let it?"

"shaddup"

Hey, why are you terminating my account, I didn't do anything!!!

Software firewalls: asking the customer (and thereby shifting the blame for) questions almost all of them will be utterly unqualified to answer, while claiming to protect you from that which they've induced you to permit.

/rant