To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

need helpdont understand whats going on

woody5044

new to this so here goes.

5 days ago i was downloading with no problems 100kbs at some points. went to work when came back only doing 2kps, disconnected from network re started and now i get nothing but it still registers peers and seeds.

i have tried several different file with lots of seeds but nothing. i then phoned talktalk int provider they told me that line is working ok??? does anyone have any ideas??.

using windows firewall and avast all working ok is there any settings in XP that i need to change.

PLEASE HELP

We have had other reports from members that talktalk is severly throttling B/T traffic.

I don't have any evidence regarding this, but perhaps you can ask them specifically if they are throttling or blocking bit torrent traffic.

You might also want to try downloading "Open Office" (their torrents are super fast, and will make a good test). It is also completely legal, so would be a legitimate complaint to make if they are blocking it.

Suspect

thanks for that. i have now got open office just looking how to use this. If i phone talktalk and explain i have got open office and it doesn't download will they then turn the tap back on and should i specifically say bit torrent downloads are effected as i can download from other sites ie d/load.com and will come down normal speed 200+kbps just getting evidence before i phone and complain. legally can they do this??.

Thanks alot again

thanks for that. i have now got open office just looking how to use this. If i phone talktalk and explain i have got open office and it doesn't download will they then turn the tap back on and should i specifically say bit torrent downloads are effected as i can download from other sites ie d/load.com and will come down normal speed 200+kbps just getting evidence before i phone and complain. legally can they do this??.

Thanks alot again

now working ok maybe complaining does work also not sure if open office has added anything to pc to allow downloads

thanks alot for your help

Bit Comet, and bit torrent protocall is completely legal, as is the Open office torrent.

Although they might continue to block bit torrent downloads, at least you will know what the problem is, and have a valid reason to complain.

I know I would raise h*** if my ISP tryed to stop B/T usage.

If they admit to blocking b/t traffic, take some notes on what they say, and make a new topic with the specifics, and the reps name, and I will pin the topic in announcements. (just my small part in fighting back).

I will post it in a few other forums as well, as you should do. I would even send it to your government representatives (not that they will do anything, but your isp will hate that)

Suspect

Bit Comet, and bit torrent protocall is completely legal, as is the Open office torrent.

Although they might continue to block bit torrent downloads, at least you will know what the problem is, and have a valid reason to complain.

I know I would raise h*** if my ISP tryed to stop B/T usage.

If they admit to blocking b/t traffic, take some notes on what they say, and make a new topic with the specifics, and the reps name, and I will pin the topic in announcements. (just my small part in fighting back).

I will post it in a few other forums as well, as you should do. I would even send it to your government representatives (not that they will do anything, but your isp will hate that)

Suspect

here is the latest back to normal no d/load so phone talktalk.

sunday afternoon told line was ok

monday got told there was a ATM Node fault lovely lady full of help did not know about pc's so when i asked if this would cause my bandwidth to disappear she went and asked, came back and said YESSSSSSSS.

today still no joy on the d/load front so phone again, only to be told of no fault at all did not know what this ATM thing was then started questioning me on what torrents soft ware i was using saying they can not support p2p to this i blew up i mentioned using open office which is legal also cannot watch streamline videos or streamline football which is legal unable to see webcams that move when they finally load up they are frozen.

SO threatened to cancel contract as they have not told me of any change to my line which they should do so as written in their fair share policy also threatened to write in every forum possible of how s**t a company they are by only allowing you to look at web pages and nothing else. they then told me that their expert team will be in touch within 10 day's to this my reply i cannot print they will now phone me in morning so will let you know. well feel better with that off my chest, any way is there anything else you could tell me to help get my bandwidth up if this fails.

Thanks for reading

I'm not sure what else to advise if your going to stay with this isp.

If you want to prepare a list of torrents that are completely legal, which you plan to download, there are many Linux distributions that use bit torrent. I just recently downloaded the latest Ubuntu Linux, which I had peak download speed over 865kB/s, and a low of about 700kB/s. This was a record speed for me. Do a search on google, and tell them your testing Linux Operating systems for an educational program (or somthing).

Also, last year I made a DVD for Star Trek New Voyages. It's a fan based and produced continuation of the orignal star trek show. They have several DVD versions available on the torrent tracker...

http://newvoyages.blogsite.org

These are all approved by paramount, and can be freely distributed as long as none of it is used for profit. (mine is the one tagged as "UnOfficial", since I'm not directly involved in production)

You might also want to look on Bram Cohen's Bit Torrent site (creator of bit torrent protocall). I believe ALL his torrents are Legal. You could prepare an extensive list of download they are denying you.

I wish you luck in your quest :)

talktalk is throttling at least another 3 people I know that use bittorrents but I will be phoning them up tomorrow and will let you know how I get on

also open office started great then just went downhill for me to a total stop at about 16.7mb

talktalk is throttling at least another 3 people I know that use bittorrents but I will be phoning them up tomorrow and will let you know how I get on

also open office started great then just went downhill for me to a total stop at about 16.7mb

they told me last night that their computer automatically reduces download speed when you over do it and i must wait 45 days for it to come back to normal. Found on other forum sites that this is a breach off contract so i might be able to get out of this will post more on this as i will quiz them on how this works also expecting phone call today off one of their experts should be fun.

They have also admitted throtling to a degree but will get names. They also got a bit flustered when i mentioned using forum sites to complain and threatened to put on every site i could find.

Well well guess what all downloads now working and no problems did not make any phone calls etc,either someone somewhere is logging in to watch complaints about talktalk or else I have made a change to my settings.

what I tried but still did not work yesterday

uninstalled bitcomet

antivirus Trend micro Firewall removed any reference to torrent sites ( had tried this many times before )

full virus scan, then disc clean windows xp all options apart from office files

switch off and start up then defragment windows reinstalled bitcomet (no joy) uninstalled again

this morning 0800hrs after nightshift

reinstall bitcomet 0.62 (has always worked for me before the latest problems)

seem to have everything working fine now all downloads working

have also found out that talk talk can stop individual use instead of a blanket ban so it makes you wonder about there promise of confidentuality

p.s. in case anyone is wondering I have 1meg no limit broadband from 2004 and would not change to

8meg (if you read the small print only 40gb per month)

p.s. not sure whether this will help out anyone else but hope so and if you are sure talktalk is stopping you, email your consumer advice or trading standards as p2p is not illegal (depending on what you download)

microsoft are going to be using it in the next couple of years for updates etc and a lot of software firm downloads already do

after 3 days of going round the world and circles finally found out what has happened. I have reached my 40gb limit for the month at first was not having any of it as only a few files about 10-15gb have been downloaded but after the person explained that the counter also counts streaming (video/television/web cams) which i have indeed been using rather a lot as i enjoy watching sports.

They have informed me that all counters get reset at the end of each calender month so roll on December.

So now i understand the downloading principle i can be more selective on what i do.

I have however told them that if my speed does not go back up by 2nd Dec then i will cancel my line and go ahead with telling the whole world that they are ??????????? if you get my drift, so will post the results in December.

Thanks for all the help on this very frustrating topic.

broadband 512k unlimited talktalk

Well eventually got through to the help line for talktalk say they block p2p at certain times asked them if this included 4 am in the morning.

Asked for my mac address so I could cancel broadband as have been with them since 2004 did not know what I was talking about!!

Went down to talktalk shop told account was in wifes name and would not help advised them account for bank was in joint names and would cancel in the morning.

Asked for a number to phone, told to use help line to abroad.

Phoned accounts and eventually got through to cancelation department at which point my wife took over as they would not speak to me as I am not the account holder

Cancelation takes 29 days agreed I could cancel

Mac address being sent by email in next 3-5 days don't hold out much hope

Four points which may help

If you have been with talktalk for over a year there is no charge to cancel but takes 29 days

Make sure they send you out your mac address (you need it for your new isp provider)

Don't bother phoning the help line it just costs you money for nothing

Have forgot to bring the cancelation phone number to work but will add it at the weekend which will save a lot of hassle and getting sent round in circles

Does anyone know of a good isp that does not block p2p on the internet

Is there any way of finding out your own mac address

editing next day

now have number which is 01925553000

you need your broadband contract number which will be at the top of your broadband bill not your phone bill good luck

sorry new to forums so any mistakes with answering my own questions etc please excuse and if anyone knows a good isp please reply asap

thought some people might be interested in this info to save money may or may not work

Dear all, I completely agree. My experience of talktalk has been a living nightmare since I switched over from OneTel. Their 8Mb broadband is a 3Mb broadband. The connection drops off regularly. The customer department is a bad joke (if you can understand a word of the morons in their caller centre in India).

Overall has been a ****ing nightmare. But for those of you still battling it out with their expensive caller centres, there is a solution. What talktalk doesn't want you to know is that they have 0800 free numbers to call their customer service and tech support. All you have to do is visit this link http://www.saynoto0870.com type the 0870 you are trying to call and you will get a list of all the regional (free for talktalk customers) and 0800 numbers.

The 0870 numbers are a cynical ploy for companies to rip you off and make a nice tidy profit for them (they take a cut out of the cost of the call). So, their claim to offer a free and cheap service is a big fat lie. Fight back and refused to use their listed 0870 numbers. Get one over them and **** the greedy *******.

• 2 weeks later...

Have now received my mac address only thing talktalk have done right!!!! Moving to aol when they get me set up in next week or so I hope, I asked and they stated that they have no fair use policy and you can download what you want anytime, you also get a week after connection with them to cancel if unhappy with the broadband service, If your router is one that works with aol you can move right away but as I wanted wireless they are sending out the router which is free and say they will help with any problems setting up my daughters computer which I want running wireless only thing I have to buy is the dongle (aerial) which they do not supply. I will let you know how good they are once everything is set up and running

ive had exactly the same problem, my downloads were hitting 50-60kb's on Talktalk, till like 2 weeks ago where i get nothing now. I use bitcomet and it comes up with seeds n leechers but nothing is getting transferred. ive tried so many different ports and occasionally max out at 2kb's but thats a rare occasion. Ive been with them since Jan 2005 and am really frustrated. i went with talktalk as the phone deal they offered is awesome but the broadband is ****! . Ive tried downloading at different times of day and still get nothing. its really annoying now and i don't know what do to. I havent had a problem till now when i see posts everywhere of TT throtting Torrents!

if anyone knows how to get round the problem then id appreciate an answer :) but if i dont find a solution it looks like ill move on to another ISP as my contract finishes in Jan. so does anyone know of a company that offers unlimited 2mb (or faster) broadband that doesnt throttle torrents?

it would be most appreciated. ive looked around and found that Orange or Tiscali have good deals. im looking to spend £20 a month. so any help would be greatly apreciated .

thank youuuu

hi there. can someone please help. i have been using BitComet without a hitch. just this morning all of a sudden my downloaded/downloading tasks disappeared from the client. my taks are all in the folder but BitComet refuses to resume/recognize them. i reinstalled the latest version 79, yet it dosent. the task is set to the right folder though. what can i do?? please help. i have a lot of tasks in Q, spent a lot of time searching. Can anyone please help?

:blink:

Have now received my mac address only thing talktalk have done right!!!! Moving to aol when they get me set up in next week or so I hope, I asked and they stated that they have no fair use policy and you can download what you want anytime, you also get a week after connection with them to cancel if unhappy with the broadband service, If your router is one that works with aol you can move right away but as I wanted wireless they are sending out the router which is free and say they will help with any problems setting up my daughters computer which I want running wireless only thing I have to buy is the dongle (aerial) which they do not supply. I will let you know how good they are once everything is set up and running

Hi i am now in the middle of changing isp now going to tiscali upto 8mb all they ask is that you try not to down load between 6.00pm to 11.00pm which is not a problem. i finally spoke to an expert?? ( not from bombay but from london) after canceling my broadband they seemed quite eager to help, 3 days of continuous calls before i finally spoke to them as i thought whats the point. Anyway after telling them that download was 164kbs then nothing he told me that talktalk is now set up as a browser not really for the use of downloading or streaming and said that my best bet was to change to an other supplier which he already knew i was. One comment he did make though was that if more customers started canceling then they would have to look at maybe changing their way of thinking. I also managed to cancel without paying a fee as it is free with the phone package so happy now. hope this is of help to anybody using talktalk.

Anyone reading this and is thinking of going to talktalk then be warned DONT.

rohnfad, it's really confusing when you jump into the middle of someone else's discussion like this. It's also in the wrong forum. Try going to the BitComet Client help forum, and starting a new topic of your own there. Make sure to read the "Read before posting" topic before you do.

It's nice of them to supply the info, but you don't need to ask anyone else for your MAC address. This is a complex number that identifies your individual network card or chipset, and all ethernet connectors have one. You can learn your own MAC without having to ask anyone else or wait for them to tell you.

In a command window, use the IPCONFIG/ALL command. The "Physical address" is your MAC address.

this will probably be my last entry on this topic BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! got new isp and everything is fine down to full use of internet functions yyyyyiiiiiipppppppeeeeeeeeee thanks for help and support through this traumatic period and wish everyone well for future downloading cheers

• 2 weeks later...