To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

updating to .79

Meverick

Hi Meverick,

You know (as well as many others) that, even if a "gizzillion" people use 0.79 (or any other new version), only the ones with problems are going to post in the forum, looking for help.

It's like taking Aspirin: many people take it with no ill effects... but the doctors only hear about it, from patients who have problems with it (due to sensitive stomachs, ulcers, or other health problems)...

The only way to know if it'll work well for you, is to try it (if it doesn't, you can always go back to version .70).

Regards,

cassie :)

Well, we do get many problems reported, but I have yet to see anyone bother to stop by to tell us that everything works. People just don't do that, and never have, not or any version.

I can tell you that the torrents I have monitored list a good number of peers using the last few versions, which is surely as sign that it is functioning well.

If you do want to try it, there is no reason why you have to continue to use it, if your not happy with it.

Suspect

If I'm to upgrade what's the best way if possible to save currently seeding files,and re-introduce them to 0.79 client.I've just started a new torrent and I'm the only seed so wouldn't like to bugger it up. :blink:

Just like to add I've used 0.70 with no problems at all.Not with the client anyway, just with torrents. :D

well, you might run into problems with the new client, so as long as your prepared, then there is nothing to fear.

You should be ok installing overtop your existing version, however I prefer to remove an old version first.

for any members that aren't aware of this, in our archive you can download our "green" versions that do NOT need to be installed, you can just open the .zip and run the client. You will need to adjust your preferences yourself, but its handy if you want to try another version without going through the install.

I believe version .79 will need to be installed if you want the "right click" menu to activate the streaming video download, but there may be another way to activate it. I still haven't used all its features yet.

Getting back to your question. As long as you have the files your seeding in the correct download location, you can just reload the torrent, then after it finishes checking (rehashing) the files, it will begin to seed.

If you install overtop, this might not be necessary, but if you uninstall, then install, you will likely have to rehash, as you will using a "green" version.

Suspect

you could easily move it to a different location just to be sure. I would not attempt an uninstall without moving my downloads first, so I can't say for sure, but I don't think it would be deleted.

If you use a third party uninstall program, then it might be deleted.

One easy way to move it would be "right click" the "cut", then "paste" in any location you like.

You can then move it to where you want it after your new install.

Note: due to the problem with windows vista not allowing users to view files in program files section, the new client's default location is C:\downloads

This is where I have saved my downloads for nearly 20 years, and is a much better location in my opinion

:)

Hi Meverick,

You know (as well as many others) that, even if a "gizzillion" people use 0.79 (or any other new version), only the ones with problems are going to post in the forum, looking for help.

It's like taking Aspirin: many people take it with no ill effects... but the doctors only hear about it, from patients who have problems with it (due to sensitive stomachs, ulcers, or other health problems)...

The only way to know if it'll work well for you, is to try it (if it doesn't, you can always go back to version .70).

Regards,

cassie :)

Not necessarily. I tried to upgrade to .79, it jacked up my entire BitComet system. I uninstalled it, and now none of the previous versions, nor the .79 will work. Until they can get a decent upgrade, I would try to fix something that's not broken!!