To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to open this file?

alpha_boy

I downloaded a torrent which has video.avi file (713MB), video.idx file (74KB), video.srt file (102KB) and video.rar file. I tried to open the video.avi file through DivX Player. DivX Player recognizes the file and shows the length of the video (1 hr 38mins) but doesn't play the video. How do i play this video? What are these .idx, .srt files? What does .rar file has?

Once the video starts playing, how can I burn the video file onto a DVD using Nero 7 Premium? Normally or I need to do anything with the additional files (.idx, .srt, .rar)????? I know how to burn a normal .avi file onto a DVD using Nero Vision 4. Please answer this part only if something should be done prior to burning.

.rar is a compressed archive, like a .zip file. I have no idea what would be inside this file, but you can download WinRar (free trial version) to open it.

your .idx and .srt files are for subtitles, this is optional, you don't have to use them.

Regarding your .avi file, you most likely need to update your codecs. Here are a couple links...

CCCP (best for playing of files)

http://cccp-project.net/

k lite codecs (best for playing, editing and encoding)

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

if you select the k lite pack, don't just install all the options, or you will surely have problems (default settings work fine for nearly every user)

the CCCP is a better pack for most users, but since you are playing on reencoding the files, I would recommend the klite pack.

In order for this to be played on all dvd players, you will need to reencode to dvd format, which you say you already know how to do.

I recently updated my guide "avi to dvd with nerovision", so have a look if you havn't already.

Suspect

.rar is a compressed archive, like a .zip file. I have no idea what would be inside this file, but you can download WinRar (free trial version) to open it.

your .idx and .srt files are for subtitles, this is optional, you don't have to use them.

Regarding your .avi file, you most likely need to update your codecs. Here are a couple links...

the CCCP is a better pack for most users, but since you are playing on reencoding the files, I would recommend the klite pack.

In order for this to be played on all dvd players, you will need to reencode to dvd format, which you say you already know how to do.

I recently updated my guide "avi to dvd with nerovision", so have a look if you havn't already.

Suspect

But I have the latest version of DivX Player (Version 6.4) & the file i'm trying to open is AVI file. The player MUST open this file, right?? I have other video files too in this single torrent which has AVI, SRT, RAR, IDX files. I can play those AVI files using this player. This torrent is a collection of 16 movies in AVI and DAT format.

Yes, I have seen that "AVI to DVD format using Nero" settings. Thanks!!

I already explained what the other file types are.

.avi is a "container" that sometimes has divx encoded video, however Xvid is becoming more popular, and is perhaps better.

Video encoding is being constantly improved, so you might not have the latest divx codecs installed. I personally think ffdshow codecs are better for playing divx/xvid video, both of these packs are based on ffdshow.

They both include Media player classic too, which will play most any file type, as well as playing your subtitles (if you desire to)

Suspect

Just to amplify on that a little, you should not expect the DivX player to handle very much. The .avi specification just details how an encoded video file is interleaved with an encoded audio file. It doesn't say anything at all about how those files are to be encoded, and there are a whole bunch of different ways to do that. Some are compatible with each other, most are not.

If the video portion of the .avi was encoded with DivX, then you can watch the video with that player. If the audio portion was encoded with one of the formats that player supports, then you can listen as well. But if either were encoded with something else, then you won't be able to see the video, or hear the audio, or both.

You should use a player that supports a lot of different formats. I recommend the free VLC player from videolan.org for most people (the main exception being those who watch a lot of anime which often uses a format that VLC does not support). For everyone else, it's really good. VLC does not require that you hunt around for filters and codecs. But that also means you can't add a format to it just by finding the right filter.

The bottom line is that it will play most things you're likely to download. It will also play DVD's, and .vob files from DVD's, as well as streaming audio and video.

Let me add that this is just the very tip of a pretty complicated subject.