To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

multi-torrents

dolphreak

hey guys..

quick torrent question.

im using bit-comet0.70

do i have to upload the torrent i want to share to each torrent site i visit?

example: i want to download a file from demonoid. being a good neighbor i want to share and upload a file to demonoid. now say i go to torrentspy and find something there i would like to download. do i have to re-upload the file im sharing with demonoid to torrentspy to not be considered a leecher with torrentspy? or will the uploaded demonoid file be distributed through all sites?

thanks in advance to any replies.......dolphreak

To not be considered a leech all you need to do is continue seeding the files you download to a 1:1 ratio once they finish

Dont worry about uploading to different sites, especially since in your example you want to share something that was on a private tracker (demonoid) on a public site (torrentspy). Private sites dont like it when they find "their" material on a public site.

Just upload the file to at least a 1:1 ratio on whatever site you found it on.

hey guys..

quick torrent question.

im using bit-comet0.70

do i have to upload the torrent i want to share to each torrent site i visit?

example: i want to download a file from demonoid. being a good neighbor i want to share and upload a file to demonoid. now say i go to torrentspy and find something there i would like to download. do i have to re-upload the file im sharing with demonoid to torrentspy to not be considered a leecher with torrentspy? or will the uploaded demonoid file be distributed through all sites?

thanks in advance to any replies.......dolphreak

Demonoid is a dumpsite that uses a private tracker.

Though Demonoid is not my primary site (Komodo Island is), since I'm using their tracker, I have to post at Demonoid also. That's one of their requirements for using their tracker, the second being (obviously) that you sign-up first. The third requirement is that you turn off the DHT function to not screw-up your stats at Demonoid, tho I must say that even without DHT their stats don't add up...

Secondly, what you indicate, or propose to do, is not acceptable by unwritten torrentsharing standards.

Downloading someone's torrents and posting or linking to them on other sites is considered stealing.

Most communities where you have to become a member don't accept hotlinking (posting a torrent that's really on another site) or posting a torrent that is still seeded by the original poster, even when you acknowledge that original uploader.

Imagine how *you* would feel, after you had spent hours putting together a torrent, searching for relevant info, scanning the artwork, posting the damn thing to only find out that 20 minutes later some fool has high-jacked your torrent and posted it on another site ... think about it ;)

I post my stuff at Komodo and Demonoid, but also at mininova, Torrentbox and Meganova. All my torrents carry my name in it, so I can find 'em easy, and so folks can't post it somewhere else before they have finished it themselves... tho I still find my torrents unchanged on other dumpsites...

When you have finished a download, just keep your window open and seed to at least 1:1, or 100%... It's only fair...

JJ

yea..stealing is exactly what im trying to avoid.i figured i better ask before i did anything and im glad i did.

i think i miss represented myself with that proposel. i ment by uploading my own personel files not ones iv'e downloaded from others. i have an understanding that the more files i upload the better my download speed will be.

im a little confused about the idea that the more people that have the same file the better chance of others downloading. but the rules state(at least for demonoid)to search and make sure the file isnt already on(demonoid).

so as an example if john being the first person ever to upload a song..say "purlpe haze" and nobody else is able to upload that song(because it's already on the site),i would have to depend on john alone in hopes he's seeding the song instead of there being 20-30 other people to collect pieces from each therefore making downloads for people who don't have it be able to get it. we'd all have the same song and rely on john to get new stuff to upload. which is impossible because he would have to get other files from either going to another site in hopes theres something on it he does not have yet(which would be considered stealing) or buying the album or movie and uploading the new files to share.

furthermore the sole reason you spent 4 hrs making a torrent to upload is to "share" the file with others. your saying you only want to "share" the torrent you made with people only on the site you uploaded it to.

stealing to me would be getting into your computer and downloading it without your consent or knowledge.

one example would be if you have a truck and you put a for sale sign on it. john buys the truck from you and turns around and sales it to steve.

how can that be construded as stealing? stealing would be coming in the middle of night and taking your truck without your knowledge or consent and selling it to steve.

in no way am i condoning stealing,or trying to get anybody mad im just having a hard time understanding the difference between stealing and helping others obtain a file that you want others to obtain.

thank you guys again for the help you have given me in trying to make my torrent experience a pleasent one.....dolphreak

Edited by cassie (see edit history)

Correction, Demoniod is a private website, but their tracker is public.

Since only members that maintain their ratio can join, and upload torrent, this keeps the "crap" torrents, those with passwords, adware/spyware/viruses off of their site.

Also, I don't think they have any problem with members posting their torrents on "dump sites" (web sites that host torrent files only, not related to any tracker).

Regarding seeding. In order for a torrent to stay alive, EVERY user must upload to 1.0 ratio, but since that will never happen, I suggest you consider that a bare minimum seeding goal. If I like something, I will seed it until at least 2.0. I have had some seed as high as 800.0 (believe it or not).

Suspect

My question is I have downloaded or tried too, several app and movies with only one or two successes. One had a pwd and to get it i would have to join thier Torrent site. The others were corrupt, incomplete or won't finish. My concern is doall of the attemps count against you? I would leave my system up for days to allow uploads. How do I determine what the number means? Sorry sometimes I type too much, captjim.

Correction, Demoniod is a private website, but their tracker is public.

Since only members that maintain their ratio can join, and upload torrent, this keeps the "crap" torrents, those with passwords, adware/spyware/viruses off of their site.

Also, I don't think they have any problem with members posting their torrents on "dump sites" (web sites that host torrent files only, not related to any tracker).

Regarding seeding. In order for a torrent to stay alive, EVERY user must upload to 1.0 ratio, but since that will never happen, I suggest you consider that a bare minimum seeding goal. If I like something, I will seed it until at least 2.0. I have had some seed as high as 800.0 (believe it or not).

Suspect

so whats the difference between say "a website that host torrents only" and a "tracker"?

i was under the impression that all the tracker did was keep record of what files were where and made searches easier. is that correct?

My question is I have downloaded or tried too, several app and movies with only one or two successes. One had a pwd and to get it i would have to join thier Torrent site. The others were corrupt, incomplete or won't finish. My concern is doall of the attemps count against you? I would leave my system up for days to allow uploads. How do I determine what the number means? Sorry sometimes I type too much, captjim.

captjim are you trying to download from a private or public site?

the only site iv'e downloaded from is demonoid which is a private site but with a public tracker.(as stated by

theusualsuspect).

the pro of a private site is that rarely you find corrupt apps and movie files.

another pro(atleast for demonoid) is it's p*** free. for example if you download a "p***" movie from a public tracker most of them have been downloaded from their original websites(debbiedoes.com)and those websites request a password to view the file.

as far apps..i found that most virus contained apps come from public hosting sites.i haven't run across a bad app on demonoid yet..yet i say.

as for as "the number" can you be more specific as to what "number your talking about?

dolphreak

so whats the difference between say "a website that host torrents only" and a "tracker"?

i was under the impression that all the tracker did was keep record of what files were where and made searches easier. is that correct?

Hmm, no, it isn't. The functions you describe are what is called an "index" site, not a tracker. Mininova is an example of a pure index site which does not have its own tracker.

A tracker is specific to bittorrent and of no use to anything or anyone else. A tracker expects the communications it receives to be in the form of metafiles whose format is strictly defined. The tracker responds with another metafile of strictly defined format. That's the physical part.

The functional part is that the tracker establishes a list of current swarm members, and publishes (or updates) that list upon request. When a client first scrapes the tracker it includes a request to be added to that list, along with a request for the current copy of the list. The tracker responds with the list copy and a time hack which tells the client when to re-scrape. Whenever a client scrapes, it also reports its status as to transferring torrent content -- bytes downloaded, bytes uploaded. When a client formally leaves the swarm it sends a scrape that asks to be removed from the list.

The network part is that a tracker is a plain web server which directs all requests to software designed to handle metafiles. If the content received is not a metafile, the software can't handle it. There is also a database used to keep all of the data it needs to keep track of.

So a tracker isn't basically human-usable. Oh, you COULD code up a metafile and send it that, then decode the metafile you get in response, but this doesn't fit the definition of a fun way to spend an afternoon.