To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

"DHT not connected"

The first time I used BitComet, it worked, but only once. Since then I can't download any file and I get the message "DHT not connected". I have no antivirus or firewall, so this cannot be the problem. Please help me. I've read the other topics about this problem but I could't understand anything. I must make a small step at a time because i'm a beginner.

Try this link and check your "listening port" from BitComet's connection settings (not necessary but recommended - it checks whether you can be connected to from outside)

Check "Options" -> "Preferences" -> "Advanced" -> "Connection" -> "Enable DHT network".

Check if you have any connections to tracker(-s) at all and you can see peers in "Peers" list.

MAKE SURE BitComet isn't blocked by your firewall software (you are strongly advised to have both antivirus (this may be run manually when needed) and firewall (must always be working) - either WinXPSP2 or/and another one).

Make sure you aren't using private torrent, as DHT for it will be disabled anyways.

Well, try this; if this is of no help, I'll have to use my imagination more :)

That's not very important for your case but may be helpful anyways. If positive, it makes clear that BitComet isn't firewalled by anything. Check "Options" -> "Preferences" -> "Connection" -> Listen port and type it there. Aslo look through these guides, they're really helpful.

This Wikipedia article has some basics on ports, if you're interested (but that's not necessary to know).

• 2 months later...

i've tried the canyouseemee site and i keyed in my listen port, based on your instructions

turns out, the canyouseemee website can't see me

i do use a wireless linksys wrt54g router

but my housemate who bought and set up the router forgot the router admin and password

and i'm too lazy/hesitant to reset it all again

so wat should i do?

first I had problem with version 0.72 so I download version 0.70

this time I am logged in but still have no DHT connected

what to do??

can you please tell me how to see what is the number of my port???

in fact I don't thinks this is the problem cause once I rember I saw my port numer somewhere and it was ok but I want to check it again...

(I know this is not a firewall problem I have checked it)

i've tried the canyouseemee site and i keyed in my listen port, based on your instructions

turns out, the canyouseemee website can't see me

i do use a wireless linksys wrt54g router

but my housemate who bought and set up the router forgot the router admin and password

and i'm too lazy/hesitant to reset it all again

so wat should i do?

You need to setup port forwarding in your router or you will remain blocked from using your listening port.

portforward.com has guides for most routers, and will give you the default admin name and password for yiur router (if your friend changed them, then you will need to reset)

You should also setup a static IP address in windows (guide also at portforward.com), or when you restart your computer it might find a different IP address requiring you to change router settings.

Suspect

somebody says that DHT was not needed to download, so it means that there is no relation between my "not downloading" problem and my "not connected DHT" problem????

Correct, your dht should only connect when needed.

I suggest you try a known good torrent to see if you accually have a problem with your client, of the torrent is the problem.

Suspect

Correct, your dht should only connect when needed.

I suggest you try a known good torrent to see if you accually have a problem with your client, of the torrent is the problem.

Suspect

:blink: i'm responding to the dht should only connect when needed. i'm sure it's in a faq somewhere, but when is the DHT needed? when does the app try to connect to it? i think i read every 20 minutes somewhere. :blink:

i'm running 70 again and at the beginning no DHT connection. i went to bed and left it running and when i returned this morning, DHT connected 1384 nodes. why did it connect over night? does it just take time to connect or did the app need DHT and connect? :blink:

thanks

"Windows XP ICS Status: cannot find working ICS.

Windows XP UPnP Status: device not found!"

it's writen on the "historique"

do you think that can help me???

I tried three torrent I will be surprised if this three are all death torrents

Windows XP ICS Status: cannot find working ICS - Internet Connection Shareing. This means your connection runs through another computer in your home and then out through a modem.

Windows XP UPnP Status: device not found - do you have a UPnP router hooked up between your computer and your modem? If not then you can turn this off.

do you thinks I should download e-donkey or azerus ???lol

edonkey2000 ripped a lot of people off by selling pro licenses and then shutdown earlier this month.

If BitComet isn't working for you then Azureus definitely won't, it’s the most complicated BitTorrent client.

and when I want to try to download a torrent it gives me a full of chinese caracters page!!!

Wait are you using BitComet 0.70, 0.71, 0.72, or 0.73?

Try downloading with this .torrent: http://www.torrentspy.com/download.asp?id=784064

You only need UPnP if you have a router that supports the UPnP. Then if you want to use it you have to turn on UPnP in the program, windows, the firewall, & then the router. Then you get to fine out if your router's UPnP is compatible with XP.

Its easier & better to port forward. Once again you only portforward or use UPnP if you have a Firewall router.

Windows XP UPnP Status: device not found - do you have a UPnP router hooked up between your computer and your modem? If not then you can turn this off.

I have got a router(a freebox), everything is ok about ports but I still get this

Windows XP ICS Status: cannot find working ICS - Internet Connection Shareing. This means your connection runs through another computer in your home and then out through a modem.

I have no other cumputer, so what ???????????

I have got a router(a freebox), everything is ok about ports but I still get this

I have no other cumputer, so what ???????????

Then go into the settings and turn those options off since you don't need them. You should try reading through the settings guide we have here.