To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

why do i get so many orange faces?

Hi!

A "yellow face" (from the peer list) is not a bad thing, it just marks a peer as not having the pieces you want, when you are seeding all the peers have a "yellow face". The green ones are the peers you are currently downloading from. Check out this site, it contains a lot of up to date handy tutorials about BitComet.

Per the wiki documentation that Vasy referred you to:

BitComet_detailed_info_peers_1002.PNG the remote peer does not have the data local peer (Myself) requested or has refused the connection.

We are happy to help, but please do your share by reading the documentation before asking questions in the forum. It's our task to write the docs, but not to read them for you too. We're nice about this, we don't usually snarl, "RTFM!" as some support boards do, but we understand the impulse.

All connections between bittorrent clients are mutual decisions. A refused connection generally means that the other client can find someone better (faster, more reliable) than you, to trade pieces with. You can't force them to connect with you.

There's nothing you can do about any particular connection, but you can try to make yourself as attractive a connection as you possibly can. This is where your upload bandwidth for the particular torrent matters a lot, and your overall upload bandwidth mattereth not. It's here that running too many tasks can kill you -- none of them gets enough bandwidth, and each one of them looks, to others, like a puny, slow connection choice. The more upload bandwidth for this individual torrent that you can offer, the better you look and the more chance that you'll negotiate faster connections for it.

Up until recently I had a 2MB download internet connection. My upload speed (which I can't remember) resulted in my setting the BitComet upload bandwidth at 16 Kbs. Yesterday I got a free (yes free) upgrade to 10MB. I used a speed test to check it. It looks like I'm getting close to 10MB. It seems that my upload speed has also been increased to 492 Kbs.. This suggests that I could reset my BitComet upload bandwidth to 80 Kbs. Two questions -

(1) would this make me significantly more attractive to other peers, leading to less yellow faces and more green faces, and thus speed up my BitComet downloads? (I usually only have one download task running.)

(2) Are there any reasons, either BitComet or other, that I shouldn't change to 80 Kbs?

You should definitely change your limit.

Higher speeds will make you more attractive generally, but remember that this is PER TORRENT. so if you just use the higher speed to run more tasks, nothing will change.

Speed checks should be run from time to time anyway, because your internet conditions can change without you realizing it. Your ISP may not even tell you that they've upgraded your connection. This also may be the only way you will notice a creeping line fault that's been slowing you down. That free upgrade may be a time-limited (see the ultra-tiny print) thing, and the speed check results will let you know that it has ended.

It seems that my upload speed has also been increased to 492 Kbs.. Thissuggests that I could reset my BitComet upload bandwidth to 80 Kbs.

Are you measuring your speed in Kilobits/s or KiloBytes/s ? I ask because 1 KB/s = 8 Kb/s

If you're measuring in Kb/s... 492 Kb/s = 61.5 KB/s --> 80% of 62 KB/s = 50 KB/s (this is not taking LT seeding into, account, as I don't know which version of BitComet you're using)

If you're measuring in KB/s... 80% of 492 KB/s = 394 KB/s (not including LT seeding)

cassie,

Sorry about mixing the B and b - comes from misleading advertising. '2MB' and '10MB' should have been '2Mb' and '10Mb'. Whilst I understand the difference between Kbs and KBs it is very easy to misuse these terms so it never does any harm to query their use. Pointing out the difference as you did is always good for two reasons. It may educate readers who were unaware of the difference. It alerts, or re alerts, readers (and myself) to advertisers ploys.

Thanks for the advice.

Hey, no problem. That's why I asked :)

Some ISPs (my own, included) even go as far as referring to the connection as "two megas", never actually pointing it out to the customer (and never actually correcting the customer, if he happens to use the wrong term). "Caveat emptor!!" (Buyer beware!!)

Another reason why I asked is because not all speed-testing sites report their results in KB/s - some only measure the connections in Kb/s, and the user is left with having to do the conversions himself. :)

All connections between bittorrent clients are mutual decisions. A refused connection generally means that the other client can find someone better (faster, more reliable) than you, to trade pieces with. You can't force them to connect with you.

There's nothing you can do about any particular connection, but you can try to make yourself as attractive a connection as you possibly can. This is where your upload bandwidth for the particular torrent matters a lot, and your overall upload bandwidth mattereth not. It's here that running too many tasks can kill you -- none of them gets enough bandwidth, and each one of them looks, to others, like a puny, slow connection choice. The more upload bandwidth for this individual torrent that you can offer, the better you look and the more chance that you'll negotiate faster connections for it.

Thank you kluelos. This is what I've always wanted to know (but didn't realize it) about using BitComet.

I've always used "Unlimited" Upload Rate. But now I'll only turn on those torrents that I'm downloading instead of turning on all completed torrents as well.

From a technical point of view, you're right. If you have slow upload speeds you should divide that just between the tasks downloading, while you are downloading.

But from a moral point of view, as a side-note, you are seeding after you finish downloads, aren't you? :D

Because if you don't please go away and let us forget your name. :D