To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Install Speedyfox with CometBird

ashanta

About SPEEDYFOX

Mozilla Firefox is by far the best feature-rich and fastest browser out there, but with the passage of time it slows down considerably. It will take a lot of time to load during startup, the overall speed will be effected, and browsing Histories will be too slow. This is very common problem and it occurs largely because of fragmentation of databases.

SpeedyFox is a brand new small utility that fixes this problem with a single click! It seems unbelievable but after you optimize your Firefox with this tool, you will get a fresh newly-installed feel because the speed indeed gets considerably faster. You will get up 3 times faster startup speed, browsing history will become faster, and performing operations with cookies will be quicker than before.

How does it work?

Firefox uses SQLITE databases to store lots of its settings. By the time the databases grow and Firefox starts working slowly. SpeedyFox compacts those databases without loosing any data.

http://www.crystalidea.com/more-about-speedyfox

According to some reviews, this is an excellent program to clean all sqlite files from your profile.

I've been trying to install on my computer, but when launching it doesn't recognize my profile.

Have you ever tried ? I can suggest to try and let me know if someone can works fine with this app.

Thanks !

Please don't post the same question in multiple forums, just choose the most appropriate one, or flip a coin if you can't decide.

If anyone is thinking of testing this, please use a stopwatch and time Firefox before and after.

We all see far too many things that claim to "speed things up", without any objective evidence at all. A subjective improvement that seems great may turn out to be just that: subjective.

I frankly don't buy their explanation.

The people who make Firefox are pretty smart. You also have to ask, if it's so simple to speed things up, why didn't they do this in the first place? That's generally the case with "accelerators".

It's been a fruitful field for fraud. Frequently.

There is also an alternative called Inifox, which cleans up all of the profiles, not just the default. There isn't an English version though, as far as I can tell.

I asked Richard Hipp, the guy who wrote SQLite, who said, "... as FF spends only a tiny fraction of its time in SQLite, there is no way the 3x performance claim can be right. "

I believe the problem lies with the urlclassifier3.sqlite file which "contains information on known phishing sites that is used to warn you should you visit one. The information is downloaded by default from a Google database once a day". In order for this to work I think it has to be parsed every time you open a new website (which is quite often) as opposed to the rest of the .sqlite files Firefox uses which are not often accessed.

Now, there is a known bug in the version 3 of Firefox which causes this file to become fragmented and to get oftenly very big in size (some users have even reported it as big as several hundred GB!). More info on that, here, here or here.

This is where the various methods of defragmenting (vacuuming the database) may come in handy. I personally prefer the one described here, which doesn't require you to install any program or add-on but just run a text-string command at the Error console in Firefox.

• Open the Error Console: Tools menu/Error Console

• In the Code text box paste this (it's a single line):

Components.classes["@mozilla.org/browser/nav-history-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsPIPlacesDatabase).DBConnection.executeSimpleSQL("VACUUM");

• Press Evaluate. All the UI will freeze for a few seconds while databases are VACUUMed

And if nothing else works good enough, I guess in the end we can always delete the little :D mf.

Actually, deleting the file is a perfect solution. It gets re-created and filled from Google the next time you start Firefox, which is what makes it grow in the first place.

I suppose it depends on your experience, but nobody I've heard about reports that the file grows to GB in size. What most people have reported is, to me, a very small file, and cleaning it out doesn't make an appreciable difference. The file's just to small to have a noticeable effect on the database engine. A database file needs to get very, very big, and have a LOT of deleted records (marked deleted, but not yet actually removed) before it noticeably slows down a modern db engine.