To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

LT Peers

neoquon

I am presently downloading 2 torrents and I noticed today that when I looked at the "Peers" there was a whole bunch of LTs besides the peer IP addresses. I believe these are Long Term Seeds. It was the same for both torrents. And I was getting good download speeds. Then I rebooted my computer. When I restarted BitComet all the LT peers were gone and my download speed was reduced. I was wondering when do these LT peers appear? I'm using BitComet 1.14. Thank you.

Nothing happened after my first post. There still were no LT peers. Now suddenly I see a whole bunch of "LT Seed: xxx" peers for both of the torrents. My download speeds have also improved markedly. Now I'm really curious. Why is it that they suddenly appeared? I'm not complaining though. :D

Yes they are long time seeds. The mechanism behind LT seeding is not very well documented. As far as I know (but I'm not 100% sure), BitComet uses a special software/tracker hosted by Bitcomet & Co. :rolleyes: which your client contacts in search for other LT seeds. If it is so, it may stand to reason that your client contacts it periodically, just like it would with a normal tracker, hence the delay in finding LT seeds. And of course, you have to keep in mind that since LT seeding is a feature you won't find in other clients, there have to actually exist other Bitcomet clients online that have the file that you're downloading in order to get any LT seeds.

Keep in mind that it will take time to connect to LT seeds, assuming some are available. If you stop a torrent, you will lose the connections, but they will connect again if the peers are available and their settings allow them to accept more connections.

Also keep in mind that an occasional "manual connect" can help, but repeated use of this is frowned upon, and is considered "hammering the tracker". All trackers instruct peers on a time interval to request updates, and clients that continue to request updates before this time interval can be considered abusive, and some trackers will even ban a persons IP address if they repeatedly request updates early.

Well, no, it doesn't. In the normal course of things, you exchange very small metafiles with the tracker.

On the tracker end, it takes your data and adds you to its list of peers interested in that torrent. If you're already on the list, this does you no good at all.

On your end, you get a copy of the tracker's list of interested peers. If you've already got that list, or got it a short time ago, it won't have changed much or at all, so this does you no good at all.

when you have the list, you are done with the tracker, and your client can go about attempting to contact various peers on it, while some of them attempt to contact you, in order to exchange torrent pieces. This is where your download comes from, and the tracker has nothing to do with this. A manual connect will not help you. It does put an increased load on the tracker.

Normally, the last item in the metafile you got from the tracker was a value, in minutes, of how long your client should wait before contacting the tracker again. It's usually about twenty minutes or more, which is a reasonable time for the peers list to have changed enough to bother updating.

Let the automation handle it. It usually does a better job than you can.