To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

some troubles and solution

Hi,

Day before yesterday I updated bitcomet 1.14 to 1.15

The troubles and some suggestion

*the old update problem still remains i.e. it cannot be updated by using check for update option in Help menu

*Auto resume task at programs startup won’t hold good for a completed and stopped task. Today Bitcomet was started as usual by windows scheduler, but the task didn’t started by itself to upload and I found it after 4 hours think about the amount I would have uploaded

*I think this is the biggest problem and should be fixed quickly. The scheduler suppresses every setting. The settings in network wizard, task specified upload/download settings, Global upload/Download setting, alternate upload when not downloading, default Download upload limit for a task .really it’s a mess. I think scheduler settings supposed to be the maximum limit for every setting not for suppress the other settings and bitcomet really has too much upload download settings it needs renovation I think it must be like this

a) The settings in network wizard option must be the maximum upload/download limit. So we can eliminate the Global upload/Download settings, maximum upload/download setting in scheduler

B) Sorry I just saw the star trek movie I couldn’t help it to explain in this way surely strange but, I think it’s a good way of explaining .So the settings must act like this

1) UL/DL limit in network wizard (THE CAPTAIN)

It should be the maximum UL/DL limit, the global limit. It should not suppress any setting, it should be only maximum amount of flow of data and no other setting should not suppress and surpass these setting

2) The scheduler (second in command)

The settings in scheduler must not surpass the captain as maximum UL/DL limit can be removed, so the Remaining setting is minimum UL/DL limit.

3) Default UL/DL limit for a task (third in command)

The limits should not surpass above officers and can only suppressed by scheduler at the time of minimum UL/DL limit

4) Task specified upload/download (special squad leader)

The limits comes directly under the control of second in command the scheduler(as it is know) and can only suppressed by scheduler at the time of minimum UL/DL limit. If it is inconvenient there must be an option to decide it must be/not suppressed by scheduler but, I don’t think it’s necessary, it’s only logical. :D

5) Alternate upload limit while not downloading (code of action1)

It must be followed by above 2 officers i.e. it can suppress the above two setting based on the one condition ‘while not downloading’ and can only suppressed by scheduler at the time of minimum UL/DL limit. If it is inconvenient there must be an option to decide it must be/not suppressed by scheduler but, I don’t think it’s necessary it’s only logical.

6) LT seeding settings (code of action2)

It must be followed by above 2 officers i.e. it can suppress the above two setting based on the one condition ‘LT seed enabled’.

GUI suggestion

So we don’t want other bandwidth settings, and all these options expect task specified UL/DL limit should be queried under one tab ‘connection’ or whatever and scheduler can be added as button like network wizard now. By the way what’s the spelling of suppress is it ‘supers’ or ‘suppress’? ‘Supers’ is what in your GUI.

what do you think of it friends?

*Auto resume task at programs startup won’t hold good for a completed and stopped task. Today Bitcomet was started as usual by windows scheduler, but the task didn’t started by itself to upload and I found it after 4 hours think about the amount I would have uploaded

I am not certain that you have described a problem. From what I can gather, this is the way it should behave. When BC starts, tasks which were stopped prior to the BC shutdown should remain stopped, not spontaneously restart themselves.

Task status at startup, with this option selected, should remain just as it was when the shutdown occurred. If the task was downloading at shutdown, it should be downloading upon restart. If it was seeding at shutdown, it should be seeding at restart. If it was stopped at shutdown, it should absolutely be stopped at restart, and not take it upon itself to start without notice.

If you wanted the task to resume seeding at restart, then you should have set the task to seeding before shutting down.

One can argue about whether that's what it ought to do or not, but this is what it does do, and I don't think that can be understood as a defect, other than a failure of documentation or perhaps of labeling.

*the old update problem still remains i.e. it cannot be updated by using check for update option in Help menu

Well, I wouldn't call it a problem since as its name says this option only checks if there are any available updates but it doesn't say anywhere that it will perform the update for you. Or do you mean to say it doesn't detect new versions for you?

First of all, BitComet has no reason at all to restart a task which was stopped when it exited. There's no logic in it. As for a completed task I'm assuming you mean a seeding task, aren't you? Well, if that is the case it should be resumed as long as the corresponding option is checked (that goes for downloading tasks as well). If you can reproduce this behavior repeatedly, provide more details about the conditions it occurs so we can understand.

*I think this is the biggest problem and should be fixed quickly. The scheduler suppresses every setting. The settings in network wizard, task specified upload/download settings, Global upload/Download setting, alternate upload when not downloading, default Download upload limit for a task .really it’s a mess. I think scheduler settings supposed to be the maximum limit for every setting not for suppress the other settings and bitcomet really has too much upload download settings it needs renovation I think it must be like this

I believe you fail to understand why the scheduler was created, in the first place. It is created for people who have network issues (a.k.a. they don't have/are not allowed a sustained, constant throughput of their network connection, so they need to limit the download/upload speed (or even stop), accordingly, through various periods of an day/night cycle. That being said, I find it imperative that the scheduler overrides all the other settings related to speed. Besides, you've enumerated above 5 separate speed setting whereas the way it works now you only have to set 2 in Scheduler; which approach do you think is easier? And you only need to set them once in scheduler.

a) The settings in network wizard option must be the maximum upload/download limit. So we can eliminate the Global upload/Download settings, maximum upload/download setting in scheduler

You definitely can not eliminate the Global speed settings. The network wizard is as its name says just a wizard, so, by definition an assistant in making decisions about some existent settings. It was intended for novice/rookie users who have no idea about the meaning and direct decisions implied by technologies lying under acronyms/names like: ADSL VDSL, FTTB, CATV etc. So, in order to diminish the seemingly never ending stream of topics about connections settings/problems it was provided as an aid, not as a replacement. Besides, if you paid attention, there is a Custom choice in the wizard. How will you set the speed in that case if you eliminate Global Settings? But, be as it may, I for one, and many others along with me I think, will never give up the possibility of fine tunning a setting of such great impact as network speed. The wizard is there and anyone who wishes is free to use it, but bear in mind that it affects and modifies the same settings (Global Settings), it just does it better only for the unadvised user.

1) UL/DL limit in network wizard (THE CAPTAIN)

It should be the maximum UL/DL limit, the global limit. It should not suppress any setting, it should be only maximum amount of flow of data and no other setting should not suppress and surpass these setting

As I told you above, it already does that; if you choose to set your Global speed settings through the Network Wizard it will input the values preset for the choice you've made in the Global speed settings boxes. And indeed, as far as I've seen, no other setting overrides those maximum boundaries, as it is now.

2) The scheduler (second in command)

The settings in scheduler must not surpass the captain as maximum UL/DL limit can be removed, so the Remaining setting is minimum UL/DL limit.

Maybe, from a certain point of view, this would make some sense, but I don't know how much programming effort and testing this would require before implementing. So, since you only have to set it once in scheduler... Maybe it would be a good idea that BitComet would automatically mirror the settings from Global to the High speed section of the scheduler. But I'm sure that there are enough persons who maybe set other (lower) speeds even for that.

3) Default UL/DL limit for a task (third in command)

The limits should not surpass above officers and can only suppressed by scheduler at the time of minimum UL/DL limit

Indeed, they do not surpass the global limits; as for the scheduler, if per task setting does not override its superior limit and scheduler also can be override per task maxim limits at low time, then why not at high time as well? It is no difference at all. What if I do need it to be limited even in high mode? In that case you're kind of contradicting yourself because this would complicate things and not make them simpler, as you stated initially. I'm sure things are pretty clear in your head, but I can't even begin to think what ordeal would be for us, the mods, to explain on a daily basis to every new user how this zillion of settings, do or do not override each other.

4) Task specified upload/download (special squad leader)

The limits comes directly under the control of second in command the scheduler(as it is know) and can only suppressed by scheduler at the time of minimum UL/DL limit. If it is inconvenient there must be an option to decide it must be/not suppressed by scheduler but, I don’t think it’s necessary, it’s only logical. :D

You contradict yourself again. If task settings come under direct control of scheduler then how can they only be suppressed by scheduler when it's time for minimum UL/DL? When it's time for high UL/DL who will control it? Besides this beats the very purpose of the scheduler, which is to keep absolute control over the maximum UL/DL limits of all the tasks. Because if one task could override the scheduler at the time of high speed then think about what will happen when you have several concurrent tasks running. What's the point of running the scheduler at all, then?

5) Alternate upload limit while not downloading (code of action1)

It must be followed by above 2 officers i.e. it can suppress the above two setting based on the one condition ‘while not downloading’ and can only suppressed by scheduler at the time of minimum UL/DL limit. If it is inconvenient there must be an option to decide it must be/not suppressed by scheduler but, I don’t think it’s necessary it’s only logical.

Yet again, you fail to understand the meaning of this setting, too. As you can see from the place where you find it, this is a global setting, so it doesn't have to suppress the above 2 settings as they are bound to it (i.e. they can never overcome it).

6) LT seeding settings (code of action2)

It must be followed by above 2 officers i.e. it can suppress the above two setting based on the one condition ‘LT seed enabled’.

The LT seeding speed is a fraction of the global upload speed so it is bound to this global setting at all times. If you set a max limit for LT seeding, it will dynamically use or release bandwidth from that max amount set, based on whether it has to whom to upload or not. If set on Auto it does the same thing based on a very good algorithm giving priority to uploading tasks which are downloading at the same time; so, my choice is always Auto.

GUI suggestion

So we don’t want other bandwidth settings, and all these options expect task specified UL/DL limit should be queried under one tab ‘connection’ or whatever and scheduler can be added as button like network wizard now. By the way what’s the spelling of suppress is it ‘supers’ or ‘suppress’? ‘Supers’ is what in your GUI.

Yeah, well, you see, the programming team is Chinese and I can bet they're not using English spell checkers an error here and there is bound to slip in from time to time. And bear in mind that they have to deal with interface design and modifications repeatedly as well as core source code development. I'm not saying that it's OK to have spelling errors in the interface, I'm just trying to explain why they appear. Anyway, if you review your own post you'll find quite a few spelling and grammar errors and you were focused only on writing! B) :rolleyes:

As for amassing all the speed related settings in one single place, I don't know, maybe it's a good idea, maybe not. But it definitely requires redesigning a good part of the user interface, so, probably it should be weighed if all the effort would be worthwhile, since the UI is arranged in pretty logical way, as it is.

So, as a bottom line, let me break this down to you:

• the Global speed settings and Scheduler mutually exclude each other, as it is right now (that is Scheduler when activated cancels all the settings in Global). While you say this is not the way it should be, I believe the contrary. As I've noticed, you fail to see an important thing, which is, some users really need to set the max limits in high speed mode (scheduler) to something lower than the Global max settings. I can think of at least two cases, now, where this would come in handy, and I believe that's one of the reasons things are the way they are at present (flexibility). The way you propose would ultimately complicate things, both for the programming team (I can't even begin to think how many scenarios would have to be tested for every setting and all the possible combinations between it and all the other settings related to it - i.e. speed smaller than X but greater than Y, and so on) and for the end user who would have to understand an even more complex relation between all these settings.
  • there is a very clear way settings are subordinated to each other right now, which I don't know if you fully understand at this point. That is, Global settings and Scheduler settings are on top of the pyramid. All the other speed settings are bound by the limits set by these two and can only operate within that interval. No matter which one of the two is in use at any point, I think it would be a bad decision to give any of the other settings the power to override the limits said above;
  • general per task settings merely provides a way (for those who wish it) to split the bandwidth evenly between the running tasks;
  • particular per task settings overrides the above setting (as it should) and is only bound by the Global or Scheduler settings;
  • LT seeding (if you enable it) is a subset of the global upload speed so it doesn't need any special treatment; it is managed internally by BitComet and it does a good job doing so;
  • alternate upload speed setting is a global setting which is available only in non-scheduler mode and allows you to set an alternate upload speed when in only-seeding mode.

A good idea, is to disable the ED plugin while in scheduler mode, as I don't think it's UL/DL speeds are included neither in Global or in Scheduler settings.

Besides, at the end of the day, you failed to point out what your problem was; meaning what hypothetical scenario you can't perform with the way thing are at present time? Maybe that would be a better starting point.

ok....ok...

I got it, i thought it in a way which would be helpful to me and i missed the points and facts and about the spell mistake, there is nothing offensive. as you told there were lot spelling & grammar mistake in my very own post,i'm not English expert bro. English isn't my mother tongue and even i'm not used to communicate with it. only here in internet i use it.you won't believe it but i learned English by watching cartoons,movies and all that."By the way what’s the spelling of suppress is it ‘supers’ or ‘suppress’? ‘Supers’ is what in your GUI."i wrote it like this only because i'm not sure about it :rolleyes: .i found it and thought wroth to report it if you look closely my topic Description it self was incorrect :lol:

and thank you so much for enlightening me of these facts 'greywizard'&'kluelos' and for the time that you used read and answer my unworthy and full of crazy craps post

with respect

the old update problem still remains i.e. it cannot be updated by using check for update option in Help menu

Well, I wouldn't call it a problem since as its name says this option only checks if there are any available updates but it doesn't say anywhere that it will perform the update for you. Or do you mean to say it doesn't detect new versions for you?

exactly

if it's so(as i know),why don't you use megaupload? i mean i heard that they will pay for the downloads which may help you.there will be thousands of users who download the bitcomet at every update. really i don't know their terms and condition and odds it's just a thought crossed my mind.i think just an another crap thought ;)

Puttachinku, I have just read both your initial post and the replies given by kluelos and greywizard. Nobody has made any remark implying that you have to be an "English expert", in order to post in these forums.

The word that you are asking about is spelled "suppressed". As grey wizard explained, anyone can make a spelling mistake - whether their native language is English or not. What he was trying to point out was that, if you consider all of the things that the developers have to deal with (interface design, modifications, core source code development, etc.), the users really can't (or shouldn't) complain very much if the UI has a few spelling mistakes, occasionally (since the developers' native language is Chinese and not English) - specially when the users, themselves, also make them... and they are only concentrating on writing their posts! :D

thank you so much for enlightening me of these facts 'greywizard'&'kluelos' and for the time that you used read and answer my unworthy and full of crazy craps post

Why do you belittle (put down) your own post? Did you not think that your opinions/doubts deserved answers? Didn't you want to register here, mainly for that reason (as you mentioned at ToComet)?

Hey, man, you've got nothing to apologize for, nobody's upset; were all here to discuss and share opinions and experience, so, welcome to the club.

if it's so(as i know),why don't you use megaupload? i mean i heard that they will pay for the downloads which may help you.there will be thousands of users who download the bitcomet at every update. really i don't know their terms and condition and odds it's just a thought crossed my mind.

The Comet team already hosts BitComet installers on their own servers. In fact you can find on the archive download page all the versions from v.0.11 to v.1.15 both in installer and zip package; I'm pretty confident that's not an issue for them.

As for updating, they would probably have to rewrite the updating routine in order to make it to auto-update not just check for updates. Maybe this will come in some future version.

to cassie

no.... no....i didn't feel bad or anything.it was only feeling for a movement.after reading those posts. i just felt how funny and crazy my post was, it's quite normal, when you think something is the best of all,and some one point out that it would be nothing better than worse in some cases, and you came to know a lot things.you do feel sorry for a movement and funny in the next,about your thoughts in the past.i wasn't regretting anything like my post were lame,i made a fool of myself etc :D . it was sudden burst of knowledge,i couldn't help myself to do nothing but respect them.those lines were written only out of gratitude and once own feeling for his past knowledge.that post was out of my past knowledge.i didn't meant that my post didn't deserve any answer or i felt bad and failed to figure out why i registered here.you can simply say it was an conversation. :lol:

thanks

to greywizard

thank you

i know that bitcomet got it's own server.why i said about megaupload was,if you got an premium account and upload a file less than 100 mb you will get a point for every download of that file,and they will pay you if reach certain number of points,through PayPal or Wire transfer.i thought that would help bitcomet fundings.go to megaupload.com for more information :D