To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

PDVDrip mean

shravee

You assuredly know what a DVD is.

A rip of a DVD is essentially an extraction and usually format conversion of at least the video stream of the main feature to a more modern form of compression such as DivX or XVid.

What the P means in this case, I don't know.

I don't actually understand either interpretation.

"Pre-DVD" - Prior to the "official" release of the DVD? Who cares, really? If it is a rip of the DVD, then the official release date is orthogonal. Why would the release date even matter?

If by "prior" this means it isn't a DVD rip, then this is simple deception -- it's not a DVD rip at all. It's a cam or TS/TC, by definition not a DVD rip.

"Pirated DVD rip" As opposed to all the others, which are not pirated? Um...

Would anyone like to try to explain this to me?

Asian Silvers / PDVD

These are films put out by eastern bootleggers, and these are usually bought by some groups to put out as their own. Silvers are very cheap and easily available in a lot of countries, and its easy to put out a release, which is why there are so many in the scene at the moment, mainly from smaller groups who don’t last more than a few releases. PDVDs are the same thing pressed onto a DVD.

So they're films. Ok. Somebody shoots a movie. We have a film, not a DVD. Then this film movie gets bought by groups that"put it out as their own'? Umm, I don't quite get that. Isn't this like a standard production/distribution deal in Hollywood, isn't this why every movie has to start with a half-dozen little logos?

Is the same movie being sold to different groups in different countries? Ok, books are done that way, with publication rights in different countries held and sold in different ways. There's nothing necessarily bootleg or illegal about this, it's how the distribution deal works when you cross the border. Company A has the rights for, say, Finland, while Company B has the rights for Sri Lanka.

But it's the same film, isn't it? Regardless of the logo somebody pastes on the front? Then where does "so many in the scene at the moment" fit in? "groups who don't last more than a few releases"? What's that got to do with anything?

I'm much more confused than before I read this.

Hmmm... I interpreted it to mean that 'Ivan Blackbeard', purchases a cam recording of Avatar from a 'business acquaintance', Peg-legged Joe. Then, Ivan makes duplicates and re-sells them to Jack Chan Ltd., Davinder Singh Anonym. and Johnny Narimuto Group.

Jack, Davinder and Johnny like to 'edit' these cam recordings to include a little personalized icon/logo on the bottom corner as their 'trademark', so that buyers can identify the copy as being their 'work'. The quality is not what the buyers had hoped to find (ie. the copies are of A/4, V/6 quality) - but, hey, they only payed the equivalent of $3.99 USD for it...

After word gets around that movies with Jack's, Davinder's or Johnny's icons are not of good quality, their sales plunge and they disappear from the market. No problem, another three new 'release groups' sprout and take their place. The cycle repeats itself... no?

Ok, well, I would have liked to think that "PDVD" doesn't mean "fraud" by definition -- not so much for the piracy as that it simply hadn't ever had anything to do with DVD-quality. But this seems like an unnecessary distinction. It's a bad cam copy, and changing the name doesn't change that.

I agree, kluelos. But that's what I interpreted, after reading downloaders' comments from sites that had hosted some of these - they all seemed to be very upset with the quality of the 'rip', and the general consensus was that it shouldn't be labelled as anything other than "a bad cam" recording. Some went as far as to state that they had previously purchased some of these PDVDs from ambulatory street vendors. (I wish that I had thought of taking note of the links, so that you could read them, sorry.)