To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Satilite Connection with private router

Tigre

Hi everyone. I have been a long-time user of BC but recently I had to change to satilite for my internet connection and had to purchase a router because the satilite modem has only 1 ethernet port and I have 4 PCs in my home. I have gone through every step in the guides here, and the tutorials given by double-clicking on the yellow light. I have tried connecting directly to the modem with this PC using both dynamic and static addresses and even turned Windows firewall off completely but to no avail. I contacted my satilite provider and was informed that they could not close (or open) any ports as all were already open. They also told me that their satilite connection did not support UPnP. The IP address given by BC is the WAN address for my satilite modem and my router will not let me configure it as an open port. My modem is a HN9000 and my router is a Netgear wireless WGR614v10. Running Windows XP with 1G ram and 500G hd. Any suggestions?????

I was able to follow the port forwarding for the static IP(10.0.0.30) but BitComet is still showing a yellow for the WAN ip(69.19.125.44) and my dynamic is 10.0.0.1. At least that was what a HughesNet tech told me. BitComet seems to be trying to open a listen port in the WAN ip and my router will not let me input the WAN ip as a forwarded port.

Edited by Tigre (see edit history)

You obviously understand nothing of all this stuff at present point. At least that's the conclusion that I can draw from your statements.

1. You cannot at the same time have a static IP and a dynamic one. Therefore one of the two statements is false.

2. Furthermore, BitComet doesn't try to open a port (unless still using UPnP which I've told you to disable). It just needs that its listening port be open in all the firewalls that stand between it and the Internet and that it be forwarded on all NAT routers that stand between it and the Internet (usually only one).

3. You cannot possibly input an IP as a port. The two are entirely different things since they belong to addressing schemes for different architectural layers of the network; IP addresses are used by the IP protocol on layer 3 and ports are used by TCP and UDP on layer 4.

They always work in conjunction but never one in place of the other.

In simple words, what you need to do, is to open a port (the listen port of BitComet) for your WAN IP on the router's firewall and also to forward all incoming connections on that port towards the static IP you assigned to your PC on the same port number!!!

You have to make sure that this rule goes for both TCP and UDP, since they use different address spaces, even though the port number ranges are the same. Therefore if you can select both protocols at once that will do, if not you have to make 2 distinct rules, one for each protocol.

That's as simple as I can make it for you, without literally rewriting the guides once more. If that doesn't do for you then you probably can't do it on your own, at this point.

You need to tell us every, and I mean every little step you took in trying to forward your port so that maybe we can figure out where you're going wrong. Posting screenshots may help as well.

Because we're like speaking different languages since you don't understand the most basic things about NAT translation and port forwarding.

to settle part of this, temporarily connect your computer directly to the satellite modem, without the router. Reconfigure the computer back to use DHCP instead of a static IP. Connnect to the network, then run IPCCONFIG and see if your assigned address is, indeed in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx block.

Hello, thanks for sharing... I want to share my experiences with you about the internet speed test.. First of all you must get the internet speed test in here http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ ... It is very clear to know our internet speed... Am also using this site for my net speed test.. Just you get accelerator for your slow net speed problem... Am also using the accelerator for that matter... My internet speed is 1606kbps,617kbps...

@srikannan, I have already asked that you NOT do this, here.

Please take good note of what I said, as I don't take kindly to having to repeat myself, regarding matters such as this.

Thank you.

PS - Please check your PMs

Thank you all very much for your attempts to help me but I have found out that my ISP has a firewall that they say they cannot open a port through for me due to their FAP(Fair Access Policy). They said that being on SATILITE internet was very different than cable or DSL. We are only allowed 425Mb per day of download during peak hours and you can't even get most of the updates for Windows for 1 computer in that amount let alone for 4 computers so I guess I will just have to tough it out. Thanks again for all your help.

I suspected it was something like that. Generally speaking this is true for every form of wireless connection, so you always need to check the fine print, and get it in writing that unsolicited incoming traffic will be allowed through any firewall they have. You should Fairly Access a different provider as soon as you have the chance.

Problem is that where I live Hughesnet is the only ISP other than dial-up and that is TOO costly for 4 computers.