To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

THIS BROWSER IS GREAT, BUT IT'S "SESSION RESTORE" FUNCTION NEEDS TO BE FIXED, PRONTO!....

This sucks BIGTIME. Firefox was bad about this all the way up to 3.5, then they finally got it right. Now it looks like Cometbird needs to get this working RIGHT. I had about 15 tabs open and like to have them saved when I close Cometbird. I hate to have to revisit sites every time I reboot the browser, or when it crashes. Sometimes you have tabbed pages that you need to deal with a few days or even weeks later, but at least you know they're there so you can eventually get around to them. Anyways, I was browsing the net, and Cometbird took a spontaneous nose dive. When I rebooted it, NONE of my tabbed pages were there. I have to start all over again and remember those pages. Like I said, Firefox had this problem for a long time, then in version 3.5 and after, regardless of a browser crash, when you reboot it, you get the "Well this is embarassing..." tab page and it gives you the option to restore all your tabs from the previous session. Well, this is something that this browser DEFINITELY needs to have FIXED. This browser is like Firefox on steroids; faster, doesn't use as much memory, so much better than firefox....but someone needs to jump into the source code and stabilize that crash problem so that tabs are saved, even after a crash. After I post this, I have to go back and start relogging back onto all those sites I had tabbed, and I know I'm not going to remember ALL of them........

Fancy a refund?

Now seriously, you can always bookmark the tabs in a folder and when you want to restore them you can simply right click the folder in bookmarks and select "Open All in tabs".

Firefox had this problem for a long time, then in version 3.5 and after, regardless of a browser crash, when you reboot it, you get the "Well this is embarassing..." tab page and it gives you the option to restore all your tabs from the previous session.

Funny, I'm using FF 3.6.8 and it still happens, from time to time.

Just because it gives you the option of choosing to restore the previous tabs, doesn't specifically mean that it will be possible to do so (specially when you previously had a multitude of tabs open). Also, bear in mind the amount of resources that are needed to recuperate all of those tabs... kinda puts a bit of a strain on your computer and browser.

I'd take Vasy's suggestion. :)

Fancy a refund?

Now seriously, you can always bookmark the tabs in a folder and when you want to restore them you can simply right click the folder in bookmarks and select "Open All in tabs".

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I wish I had known about this option when I was still using firefox! The funny part is that after using this browser for the past 2 weeks, I will never return to Firefox. There's no POINT. This browser is Firefox's BETTER twin. The twin that takes all it's vitamins, eats right, and exercises on a regular basis. It's faster, leaves a smaller memory footprint during normal use (even though I hate the fact that you guys still have to use that dreaded memory hog plug in container), AND you can use ALL the same plugins that are used in Firefox. How do you guys get this thing to run with so much LESS memory usage than Firefox? In any event, thanks a LOT for that tip! With that tip, I'll never have to worry about the issue again. s long as I save the tabs the way you said, then regardless of how bad a crash the browser has, I'll ALWAYS have my tabs saved and can just "resurrect" them if needed. As long as I save them once a day or so, it's all good. Thank again for one of the most beneficial tips i've ever been giving since I started using Firefox, and now Cometbird!

btw, cometbird does attempt to save the tabs on a crash, just like firefox does, and I've seen the same prompt upon restarting, but I think it requires a more or less "controlled crash" to properly save the data.

also remember, Cometbird is developed from FireFox, so much of the credit goes to their team. The developers at cometbird have simply fine tuned it to better serve the needs of our customers.

btw, cometbird does attempt to save the tabs on a crash, just like firefox does, and I've seen the same prompt upon restarting, but I think it requires a more or less "controlled crash" to properly save the data.

also remember, Cometbird is developed from FireFox, so much of the credit goes to their team. The developers at cometbird have simply fine tuned it to better serve the needs of our customers.

Yes. I know about the fact that Cometbird is capable of saving tabs during a crash, but like Firefox, it's not 100% successful. Some crashes crash REALLY hard, leaving the the last session of tabs irretrievable. At this point, I'm hard wired to just save them myself once a day or so using that "bookmark all tabs" option. At least THAT way, NO CRASH will be able to destroy my saved tabs.

I remember when a single program crash meant you just lost everything on your computer that you didn't manually save, so it's pretty amazing that this works even some of the time, but yes, you're learning it's best to rely on yourself when it comes to saving your work in progress.

Ironically, the more programs try to do this for the user, the more the users will blame the program for not being able to do it 100% of the time.

I'm glad you have found an easy way to save your work.