To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

if no network client no download limit

alaa777

by ping an ip range every interval of time if there is no ping reply then no download limit if there is ping reply return to the limit or follow the schedule

I believe that if you say that three times in a row, an evil internet gremlin will appear and infect your system.

So, do you want to set BitComet to dos erm.. check if another PC is powered up and connected to the internet and set the upload limit depending on that? How would that help you?

yes and the download and it will help other pcs not me because i only set the download limit so the internet be usable for them

I believe that if you say that three times in a row, an evil internet gremlin will appear and infect your system.

am i that bad describing what i want

Edited by alaa777 (see edit history)

am i that bad describing what i want

Bingo!

Unfortunately yes. You are in fact terrible at describing what you want and we have absolutely no idea what it is that you want to accomplish (at least I don't), who would it serve and how it would do that.

So you want to set a download/upload limit depending on whether or not other computers on your LAN are powered and connected? Security issue. Any firewall will block that (some personal firewalls can be set to allow LAN and other specific IP addresses, but still) and disabling them will be a very bad idea.

So you want to set a download/upload limit depending on whether or not other computers on your LAN are powered and connected? Security issue. Any firewall will block that (some personal firewalls can be set to allow LAN and other specific IP addresses, but still) and disabling them will be a very bad idea.

yes that's what i want but i think the ping has no security problems so detect the computers on the lan using ping is ok

You cannot ping any personal computer with a reasonable amount of security software, such as a firewall running. In fact I was unable to ping your IP address (I would have been worried for you if I could).

For this suggested option to work, you would need control of every computer on your lan and have the software installed on all of them. Also, it wouldn't be a very efficient method of determining if the computer was using bandwidth because a ping will respond even if the computer is idle and using no bandwidth.

I think you would do much better looking into some type of lan bandwidth manager software.

ps. I do like the general idea, if it were possible, but there is no way to make this option viable for anyone that doesn't have control of all computers in the network, and even if they did, it would be a massively complicated procedure just to get it to work.

Your real problem with this approach comes with the actual continued operation.

The goal of pretty much every firewall out there, is to look exactly like a powered-down/missing computer in this cyberspace. This is so that a potential attacker can't tell whether or not there is anything there that might be worth probing further. "Is something connected at that address or not? Can't tell either way."

That means that if one of the computers on the network has or later acquires such a firewall, you can't tell the difference whether it's running or not by pinging it. This becomes a completely unreliable method for the great majority of customers. Only a very few could or would use it, which makes this slide way down to the bottom of the list of things to do.

You'd be much, much better off using other software to manage the whole LAN and address the problem of bandwidth directly, than trying to go through the back alley like this.

Well, this may be viewed as a bigger issue than it is. In most firewalls that I've tried, it's a trivial thing to make your PC stealthed as far as the Internet is concerned and to still make it visible/accessible to its peers in the LAN.

It stands to reason that it's pointless to build a LAN if the computers which form it can't communicate more or less freely with each other.

Of course, it should be duly noted that this is a feasible option only when YOU are the administrator of the whole LAN.

This is how my LAN works.

Now, that I understand what the initial poster meant (thanks Vasy) I can see that this may be an interesting idea to consider. I don't know though, how far would this rank on the priority list of the development team.

But perhaps it's worth a try (passing it to them).

Way back in versions around .5x and .6x, BitComet had a chat client built in. It was abandoned. Chat clients that weren't trying to be bittorrent clients, turned out to be a lot better at chat.

BitComet can't and shouldn't try to be all things to all people. LAN manager software exists to do exactly this sort of thing for the few people who want it done. It will do that far better than anything that would be built into BitComet short of developing a full-fledged LAN manager, and there's already too much competition for that.

Let the chat software do chat, let the lan management software manage the bandwidth, let BitComet do bittorrent, says I.