To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

What happens if we don't seed/upload/whatever-you-called-it after we download?

What happens if we don't seed/upload/whatever-you-called-it after we download?

Will other people know?

Will someone ban us from download?

I've raed from somewhere stating if we don't upload, we will be banned from downloading?

Please tell me whether there is consequences if we don't seed?

If yes, tell me what is the consequences.

~Confused Guy~

On public torrents, what will happen is nothing, as far as the consequences which concern you go.

But you should keep in mind that P2P downloads are made possible because other people are willing to share, as everything you download is coming from other people like you who are still seeding that resource. That is, you could download what you did, because other people just like you, kept seeding that torrent once they finished downloading it.

Seeding is what makes BitTorrent downloads possible at all, it's the "engine" that keeps BitTorrent rolling, if you will.

If everybody only downloaded and then deleted or stopped any task they download, then very soon (in a matter of days) you wouldn't be able to download almost anything at all, anymore from the BitTorrent network.

Downloading without seeding back, is like a form of stealing (since you only take without giving back anything to the community). That's the reason why this kind of guys are called, bloody "leechers". They are a scourge of the BitTorrent Network, and while on public trackers nobody is monitoring your share ratio, it is left on your consciousness' latitude (if you have any) to use your common sense and to seed back at least to a 1:1 ratio (if you really liked the contents you downloaded you should make an effort and seed more so that it's kept alive longer).

However, since many users aren't able to easily find their consciousness at all times, ALL private trackers monitor their users' share ratio (and have different systems for counting that globally or per-torrent, as explained on each site in particular). If you don't comply to their seeding rules your actions will be considered "hit and run" and WILL get you banned very soon, and that for the very good reasons explained above (nobody likes thieves among them and especially not the closed communities that are the private trackers).

This should clear your confusion.

OMG! that means I'm a leecher!

I think i'm banned.

I currently am downloading at a speed of 1-2kb/s.

Its not my fault I'm a leecher.

I tried uploading after my download BUT it only upload at a speed of 1-10kb/s.

I hav downloaded more that i uploaded.

Save me!

How can i get back to a stable downloading speed?

or is it no one seeding for me right now.

~Troubled Guy~

Thanks For the reply!

Is it a private tracker?

If yes, all you need to do is to leave the task seeding for whatever minimum time they request. You can't control how much you upload, since on private trackers there aren't as many peers as on public ones, therefore often you will just have keep the task seeding for a while (a few days minimum).

But that's more clearly specified in the particular seeding rules, for each private tracker site. You'd have to check those, to make sure that you comply.

However, if you were banned from a specific tracker, I don't think that you would be able to download anymore, at all. Your passkey wouldn't work anymore on the tracker probably therefore your connection to the tracker would be refused altogether. If you're still downloading but at slow speeds, the cause is probably another one.

Depending on your connection's upload capabilities, uploading at 10kB/s (not kb/s) isn't at all bad. This is one of the very reasons why most people need to leave the tasks seeding for a longer time after the download.

Most residential connections (xDSL, cable) have a much higher download bandwidth than the upload one. This means that you will be able to download a 700MB task in, let's say, 40 minutes, but it will take you much longer to seed back to a 1:1 ratio (i.e. upload 700MB).

As long as you're seeding, and you don't intentionally limit too low your overall upload capabilities, you needn't worry. Nobody is judging you for not having a killer upload speed. As long as you keep seeding the task you're doing your part for the community; you just need to leave it seeding until it hits at least an 1.5-2.0 share ratio and you'll be more than fine.

A bandwidth of about 8-10kB/s upload per seeding task is considered acceptable (if you seed multiple tasks) for public torrents (where your peers are actually downloading most of the time from you). So you should seed simultaneously no more than 2-3 taks, so that your overall tested upload bandwidth divided by the number of seeding tasks doesn't fall under the minimum of 8kB/s (unless of course you have a high upload bandwidth and you can afford to seed more tasks simultaneously without spreading too thin the individual bandwidth for each task). The other ones you can queue for seeding using the options page of BitComet.

You should also take into account that actively downloading tasks also need upload bandwidth in order to download (they have to upload the pieces they already have for that torrent in order to receive other pieces from their peers). Therefore you should also include those in the calculation when dividing the overall upload bandwidth, especially since BitComet prioritizes the downloading tasks over the seeding ones and thus the upload bandwidth will be allocated prioritarily to the downloading ones when needed.

As a thumb rule, the more upload bandwidth you allocate for a downloading task, the more speed you may get (no one can guarantee you that, as download speed depends on more factors than this, but you open the possibility for it). If you don't have enough upload bandwidth for a task almost surely you won't get any high speeds for it (with the notable exception when the task has lots of seeds but not many peers, and you still may download at acceptable speeds).

For private torrents OTOH you can keep as much hundreds of tasks seeding at the same time, since most of the time there will be nobody downloading from you for 99% of the tasks you're seeding (but this will add up to your seeding time thus fulfilling your seeding quota for those tasks and/or earning you bonus points which you can trade in for upload credit, depending on the site's policy).

Use this settings guide, to check and make sure that your speed related settings are in order.

If it's a public tracker you're talking about and your listening port is open, well, then if you're not uploading at all it could mean that there is nobody who wants to download that resource for the time being (although that's rarely the case for a torrent that's still alive). You don't need to do anything more than leaving the task seeding and making sure that you have an open listen port so that other peers can contact your client and initiate a download from it.

I think I found my problem.

My listen port is not open.

I tried to fix it but it couldn't work.

I raed a topic about opening the listen port but it is not helpful because they only teach you how to fix it on window xp.

But the OS i'm using is window 7.

Please help me.

I tried googling for help but none was helpful.

Can you help me or give me a link to fix my problem?

I appreciate it a lot.

~Yellow-Listening-Port Guy~

Thanks For Replying!

It depends on which firewall is/are blocking your listen port.

To help you with that, we need that basic information, the stuff contained in the "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" topic.

If you have a router and the problem is there, then it's independent of your OS.

If you are using a 3rd party firewalll, then the OS is probably irrelevant.

You can probably even figure out how to open a port on the Windows firewall from reading the explanation for XP an comparing it to what you see under Win7, as it will likely be fairly close.

This is my statistic.

Overall Tasks: Total:109 / Running: 2

TCP Connections: Established: 116 [MAX:Unlimited] / Half-Open: 55 [MAX:200]

LAN IP: (NPT TELLING)

WAN IP: (NOT TELLING)

Listen Port of TCP: 26442 (Blocked by Firewall/Router)

Listen Port of UDP: 26442 (Blocked by Firewall/Router)

Windows Firewall: Added [TCP added, UDP added, TCP(ED2K) added, UDP(ED2K) added]

UPnP NAT port mapping: Failed [uPNP device not found!]

Overall Download Rate: 38 kB/s [MAX:Unlimited] Max Connection Limits: 50 per task

Overall Upload Rate: 3 kB/s [MAX:Unlimited] LT Seeding: 0 kB/s [MAX:Unlimited] All BT Upload Slots: 2

Free Phys Mem: 688.30 MB (Min to keep: 50 MB)

Disk Cache Size: 41 MB (Min: 6 MB, Max: 50 MB)

Disk Read Statistics: Request: 1714 (freq: 0.0/s), Actual Disk Read: 771 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 55.0%

Disk Write Statistics: Request: 14504 (freq: 1.5/s), Actual Disk Write: 2338 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 83.8%

Total Downloaded: 2.52 GB

Total Uploaded: 158.96 MB

This has gone way off-topic. The initial question was one and the issue discussed now is another one.

If you wish for help with the current issue, then at least read the link called "Read This before posting" on top of this page and provide all the info asked within. Then we may start troubleshooting this.

Uncovering just one piece of info at a time about your system/setup, is going to take ages to make a complete picture of what system configuration you have and what the problem may be.

hurm, sorry to interrupt,wanna ask qstion bout 'seeding'

I download couple of torrents and i understand that when we dwld, we also upload to other peer automatically

What i dun understand is:

1. After dwld finish 100%,I let my task run couple of days to make sure my ratio up to more than 1.0, but nothing happen

Is dat mean im not seeding?

2. Or is dat mean nobodi interested with d files? If i just stop the process,

will it give bad impact to the torrent files dat im just finish dwlding in future(LT seeding).

thanks.

If it's not uploading then there's no reason to stop it. Your bandwidth is intact and you can just ignore it. When it starts uploading, you need to give it room in your maximum bandwidth by limiting/stopping those tasks that already have over 1.0 ratio.

You might want to rephrase your last sentence because it has no logic as it is now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi...

I am not sure if i seed or not.. I have recently had to move my files to a different location to the default directary.. So my question is am i still seeding and if not what do i need to do to fix this error

Thank you in advance and keep up the great work

If the torrent is still running there will be an "up arrow" icon (on recent versions of bitcomet), this means you are seeding. If you used bitcomet to move the files in your task, then all you have to do is restart the task to continue seeding. If you moved the files in windows, then you need to open your task settings and change the download location to match the new location of the files, then you can restart the task.

BitComet has a column called "share ratio". If you cannot see this column, the "right click" on any of the columns and you will get a list to select, just check "share ratio" and it will display.

In order for a torrent to survive, every user needs to upload to a ratio ABOVE 1.000. However since many users don't do this, either from ignorance or greed, torrents rely on dedicated users like ourselves to keep them alive, so I recommend you run all your torrents until a ratio of 2.000, and if you really like something, consider sharing it much longer.

Keep in mind that all good torrents were given freely by its original creator who asked for nothing in return except that you do your part to help share the files he/she gave you.

Imagine if you had a million friends and all of them wanted a song that you have, and you wanted to give that to them all. Since sending it a million times would take you a year to do, you passed it to one and asked them to keep a copy and pass it on. Then imagine one greedy person who decides that he got the song he wanted so why should he bother to pass it on... and because of his greed half of your friends never got the song, so you had to send it out again.

Now imagine you had 10,000 greedy friends, and you had to keep sending it over and over and over...

Yes, it's hard to believe some people can be that greedy with a free gift, but it's true. This problem plagues torrent uploaders all around the world and because of this many users now join Private Trackers that enforce sharing rules, and believe it or not, software developers actually began developing software to help these people cheat ratio enforcement.

File sharing is a great thing and we all should be proud to help the original uploader in sharing the files. You will feel proud when you do so and help to keep all your torrents alive.