To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Subtitles help!

vesnor

My mpcstar player doesent load the subtitles when I start it up. If i right click and set the subtitles to english or whatever it works fine, but before i didnt need to do this with all the files only a few who didnt have preset subtitles. Can somebody tell me how to fix it please.

I'm not sure what your meaning by "preset subtiles". Subtitles are either hardcoded (which cannot be disabled), External (separate file), or some more advanced video containers can have multiple audio/subtitles and other information encoded.

Also, since software versions change, you really should ask about your specific version so the person replying doesn't have to offer instructions multiple times for potentially dozens (or more) software versions.

With preset i mean that the subtitles comes on when i start the file. I usually use MKV files, I dont know if those use external or are one of those advanced video containers. I have the 5.0 version of mpcstar player.

Sorry for the bad explenation in the first post.

When you play a movie with subtitles, what options do you see available in the Subtitles menu? Do you see activve options that are normally greyed-out in movies without subtitles?

Well, it looks like the behavior may have changed to accommodate those who don't want any subtitles to come up unless specifically asked for. This could be done either way, honestly, and one side or the other's going to be annoyed whichever way you do it, I guess.

As long as it can be made to work properly without exotic workarounds, it's good, or at least not really a defect. You can suggest it as an option to switch the default behavior, but I really don't see that as coming in with a very high priority.

I think the default behavior should not show subtitles because if it did, then which language should it show as default? I imagine Spanish users would be upset if it showed English (for example).

If the software was designed so it only opened subtitles of a certain language if present, that would require all video to be encoded with the same standards, which it's not, so the player might not be able to tell which external file represents which language, or which encoded subtitle to present. Some video has subtitles for the hearing impaired that describes sounds as well as the text of the voices, so it would get rather confusing.

If you were happy with a previous version of our player because it behaved different, then you're more then welcome to revert to that version.

• 2 months later...

If you were happy with a previous version of our player because it behaved different, then you're more then welcome to revert to that version.

im having the same problem.

i have uninstalled 5.1 and deleted the appdata and program files folder, reinstalled 4.9 but it wont autoload the subtitles like before anymore... :(

the files i am playing are MKV with subtitles softsubbed into the mkv container with the video (not 1 mkv file and 1 subtitle file)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...