To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

CometBird's saved open tabs disappear after System Crash!

Hi,

As you see the title , I have CometBird version 3.6.13 and Windows Xp SP2 updated installed on my system . I have many websites as open tabs on CometBird , every time I exit from CometBird , I have to save those tabs as CometBird asked before exiting. I was fool enough not to Bookmark those tabs (websites) .

So Yesterday My system crashed after sudden Power failure , when I Started my system again , Windows did a Check Disk Scan , during which it showed two files (with *.js extension) were corrupted , one was left and other file was trancated by Windows , there were even some files saved as lost chains in Windows but I don't know the location . Any way when I launched CometBird again , All my open tabs disappeared and only CometBird homepage tab is open . So I searched for ways to get the open tabs back .

I tried windows System Restore but I can't get back to that earlier CometBird state. I noted in error console (first time, not recent log) that some restore file with .js extension get corrupted . I even searched for files with .js extensions in CometBird folder and found "sessionstore.js" but it is 1 KB in size and contains no usefull information .

Now I am planing to use some data restore software but I am not clear which files to look for and restore . So I need help here. Kindly post all possible solutions .

I think what he is saying is that the history data was corrupted by a fatal system crash. I don't know what file saves your open tab status. I suggest you look at firefox documentation. 90%+ of Cometbird is Firefox, and I'm pretty sure there is no difference in the way the two browsers save your open tab status.

Yep, but if the file holding the open tabs is really corrupted and can't be used for recovering the tabs anymore, why not re-open the last used pages from History?

As far as I can gather, the only main issue here seems to be that he can't remember the URLs for those pages and didn't bookmark them either.

Restore points are no substitute for backups. and were never intended to be. The need for regular backups hopefully gets driven home by occurrences like this, as no application can really protect all of your data from every sort of threat.

While we may sympathize, I hope you've got a backup procedure in place now.