To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Stopped [: Error System Cannot Find The File

Checked the FAQ nothing there, that I could find.

I'm trying to download a torrent from a friend, that message keeps popping up, yet other people are able to download without a problem.

Everything is set to open, and this message is popping up every 45-60 seconds, making it literally impossible to download.

This is, on its face, a system error, not a BitComet problem. It doesn't say "BitComet can't find the file".

You'll probably have to figure out what file "it" can't find. I'd look in the system and application error logs.

• 1 month later...

it looks like no one answered your question. I'm having the same problem even after doing the "Portforwrd" software thing, I still get a yellow light and I still have this error message coming up which dis-allows me from downloading, strange thing is that files are uploading. I grow tired of looking through this site and not finding answers to my questions. Stopped [Error: The system cannot find the file specified]

Win7 (laptop)

1TB external (172 remaining)

McAfee wall

it looks like no one answered your question. I'm having the same problem even after doing the "Portforwrd" software thing, I still get a yellow light and I still have this error message coming up which dis-allows me from downloading, strange thing is that files are uploading. I grow tired of looking through this site and not finding answers to my questions. Stopped [Error: The system cannot find the file specified]

Win7 (laptop)

1TB external (172 remaining)

McAfee wall

Why is it that you can claim to be tired from reading thorough our entire website, yet you missed the topic titled "READ THIS before posting", which is linked all over the forum, not to mention just above your post (in my signature from my last reply).

We cannot read minds and we are all volunteers, bitcomet users such as yourself. Being BitComet is freeware, there are no paid teams waiting to help members and kiss their a$$ when they want to cry and moan about problems. This is community based support and if you want some help, then show some respect and follow the rules, and most of all be polite.

If you can't manage this, then I'll personally refund your purchase price and you can look elsewhere... oh yeah, it was free wasn't it???

ps. the member who's post you so rudely interrupted will have his answer/s when/if they provide the info we need to track his problem.

1) 1.27 & 1.27 (64bit) stable release

2) Comcast Broadband

3) Do you have a modem? Motarola SB5101 Surfboard cable modem Do you use a router? Netgear WNR3500U/3500L wireless What make and model are each one of them? Have you forwarded your port? Yes

4) N/A

5) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use? Windows 7, (windows firewall turned OFF) McAfee version 12 Build 12.0.335 Updated 5/14/2011

6 N/A

7) SPEED: 15.42 download, 4.16 mbps upload, 17 ms ping

After having 18 months enjoyment of BitComet it all came to a halt all within the last two months, speeds slowed with two greens and the infamous last light (yellow). After making uninstalling and reinstalling the program and tuning off Windows Firewall and just utilizing McAfee. I finally got 3 greens but was rewarded with the following after each and every download “Stopped [Error: The system cannot find the file specified]” and no uploads.

Lastly, I have 3 separate file downloads with every sign-in. Data which is now removed from the log in space that I don’t know how to make go back into where its supposed to. Whats in the area is the “connecting to server” picture. When I open it the data opens up in MS Word. Passport_login_en_us.mht IE.AssocFile.MHT, 26.1 KB

It looks like your reporting at least three different issues here, so it's a bit confusing to try to understand the root of the problem, but I'll see what I can do to help.

Regarding the system error of being unable to find the file. Are you using a removeable device or network attacked storage disc for your download location? If so, can you please try using a local disc and see if the problem is still present.

Also, understand that some file systems are limited in depth, so you may get such errors if the path is too deep. A simple solution is to use a folder on the root of the drive/device, such as c:\downloads, instead of something like c:\users\your name\my documents\my downloads\videos\tv shows (for example) This shouldn't matter on a windows drive using NTFS, but with other file systems it can. Many external drives and NAS devices use other file systems, as well as older windows versions.

As for the Comet ID pane showing gargled text, this is usually an Internet Explorer setting at fault. BitComet uses IE to display some web content, and recent changes to IE have caused similar problems. There is an article on wiki.bitcomet.com dealing with this. Please review it and it will most likely help you resolve the problem.

As for your listening port problem, it sounds like you have it resolved, but please understand that this is a networking issue that it out of bitcomet's control. By installing a router, you've created a LAN (local area network), and made yourself administrator of that network. Unfortunately that means it's your responsibility to make sure that incoming p2p connections make it to the proper computer. If your router supports uPnP (universal plug and play), AND its both enabled and not blocked by any firewalls or security software, then bitcomet will attempt to use it to open your port for you, but in cases where this isn't possible, or doesn't work, the easiest way to resolve the problem is to setup portforwarding in your router.

Going back to the first problem. If it persists even using a local save location, then can you please post a screenshot of the error. We have guides for making and posting screenshots in our guides and tutorials section.

ps. I'll also remind you that this isn't your topic, but since it appears to be abandoned by it's creator, I'll allow you to seek support here, but next time please make your own topic.

• 10 years later...

I just had a fresh windows 10 installed and I put the directory to my old folder "D:\Download" and this gave me an error. I fix it by going to the properties of the folder into the Security tab and check the full control of Everyone & System and in General Tab I untick the readonly, hope this helps.image_2022-02-19_094505.png.05fd7000013f4aed47acb3213084508a.pngimage_2022-02-19_094557.png.88cf4e44f3e6a264980235b61cc98ea6.png