To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

new options needed

blackps

The second option already exists in the form of the queuing system.

The first option should not be offered, as no-one should do this and BitComet should not encourage it by offering the option. You have an obligation to the community to continue to seed when your download is complete. At that point you are "in debt" having taken more than you gave. You need to continue giving to at least balance this, and preferably exceed it. BitComet's current behavior, to flip over to seeding when the download is complete, is the correct behavior.

BitComet does not have an interface into the power-conservation system such that it can prevent monitor power-off, or even activation of a screen-saver. I don't think one exists, and I imagine there would be considerable resistance to creating one. Without that, your last request can't be implemented, so needs to be done manually.

I can't fathom a reason why one would need BC to prevent turning off the monitor.

If you're in front of your computer then your monitor, obviously, won't turn off.

If you're not, what do you care?

If anything, that's a good thing since it prolongs the life of the monitor's hardware.

As for not seeing the whole enchilada in the taskbar button, that's not up to BitComet to control; the size of the button is controlled by Windows. Yet by simply hovering your mouse pointer over the taskbar button you will get access to all the info you were speaking about. The percentage is visible when hovering the mouse over the tray icon or over the floating window.

When you make a request, you had better spare some time to explain why it would be needed or useful, in your opinion.

That is, if you want it to get a fair chance of being considered, ever.

As for your first request I can only say this: "May the computers of every LEECHER out there get infested with the nastiest viruses, worms and trojans, giving them so much work and trouble that they'll never find again the time to come and plague the BitTorrent Network. B) "

Leechers are the scourge of any swarm and you ask for an option which will transform BitComet into a leeching client by default?!

That's a big no, no for you.

The option to stop the task already exists within the seeding target limits. Keep in mind that the task is not "complete" until your done seeding, and if any client offered an option to stop tasks simply because downloading was complete, I'd immediately stop using that client and ask others to boycott it.

Horrible Idea

• 4 weeks later...

The second option already exists in the form of the queuing system.

<snipped>

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum. Running the latest stable 1.27.

I have been scratching my head around to understand how to get/have the queueing system. No matter how many torrents I add, I do not get a queue. Is there a way to tell bitcomet to only run say 2-3 torrents at any given time and make the rest in a queue ?

Either it isn't easily discoverable or I've just been over-looking it. I tried to see in all the options to the extent of Advanced Options (Similar to utorrent) but even there did not see anything which would in any way can be used to do what I need/want, a queueing sytem.

Btw, I did read http://wiki.bitcomet.com/understanding_bitcomet#what_do_the_icons_next_to_the_task_mean and the '“Max Concurrent downloading BT task number” that can be set to some number but where is this option or is this a regression in release 1.27 something?

Edited by jivan28 (see edit history)

There is. Look at Options -> Task (In reasonably recent versions, anyway)

You should see several "maximum number of ... tasks" settings.

Try setting the maximum number of concurrent downloading Bittorrent tasks to 2.

Then, every downloading torrent that you add which is above 2, will be queued.

You can arrange the order of the queue, so you can choose what gets processed next, when either of the two running tasks finishes downloading.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for adding to an old post but was curious about this to.

I was wondering if BitComet would consider the possibility of a much user friendly queue system. Maybe simply on the front page.

Instead of messing in the settings what if we could number all tasks somehow right from the main page, and set them to download in the order. Sometimes I'll have something downloading that I need so I'll stop another download, come back to find the first is complete. It would be easier if we could simply number the task, then we wouldn't have to worry about coming back to start the second torrent.

I think the number way would make it a lot easier for novice users.

The settings discussed here DON'T control the priority in the downloading queue, only the number of simultaneous allowed active tasks.

You CAN control the starting order (for the queued tasks) by simply dragging the target task upper or lower in the Task List.

The start priority increases from the bottom up, meaning that the tasks that are upper in the list will be started before those which are lower (we are talking here about the tasks which are in queued mode, of course).

It's an alternative worth considering -- especially because, in the default toolbar, the "move task up" and "move task down" arrows don't appear. That means you not only have to understand the queue system, you have to understand that those arrows are available, and to make them appear on the toolbar.

Numbers would be clearer, I think.

It does mean that. However, those columns aren't all generally used by all people, so everyone has a personal choice of which they want, which they don't. People who don't want the number column can simply hide it as they would, say, the VIP column or the snapshots column

• 6 months later...

hi there i have a request for 2 features to ... the one is not likeble like the one of the first coment here... its about automaticaly shuting down after finishing downloading ... but its a litle diferent and with a meaning ... the diference is that i dont want to stop the task i want to shut down the pc .. if you could integrade an option in bit comet in wich i could chose one or multiple download after wich are done bit comet shuts down the pc you see sometimes some task are slow or need just 10 or 20 or 1 h and you dont know wen you will catch them with seed again so you cant leave it for another time neither can you sleep with the pc on (atleast my pc is noisy from dust) so but weiting just for the task to end is prety unhealthy sry to say it ....

ok the second task is as not so bad as the firs actualy its predy good i think .... i want a multitask torent file .... wat i mean is the torent fire wich i download then put in bit comet to be self upgradable from the first person (its creator) like if i wach a serial moovie and someone puts it online and i download it .... i want the first person to be able not to ad a second epiisode later but to upgrade the first this way I on the other hand instead of checking from time to time for new torents i will leave it online to upload and at the same time to check for its update ...also this way ppl will avoid many false torents with only the title of wat they are looking (game of thrones for example wich i wach at the moment just a wile ago i downloaded 1 more false torent) watever ... well just to be safe if you start doing something like that you could categorize them like if its a video (moovie serial) to be just viedeo files if it is some music to contein only music files and so on.

thank you for reading and even if one of the 2 sugestions sounds good it would be nice .... by the way if you know some add or something wich helps shuting down pc after time on its own would help (i mean shuting it down even if i use other programs wich prevent it from hibernating) by the way can you download from a smartfone :D first time the throught comes by my mind ... i still hate those fones so i dont know anything about them but wen ifone wen up there was an aple Media player wich looked exacly like ifone but did not had fone funcions on it but had options about wireles internet and was nice i wanted one of those so now it came to mind wouldnt be nice to be with wireles and using smartfone to download torents or something also if you dont have a internet conection but you have a wireles conection with another pc why not make a way to send and download stuf to it.... to be frank its just that windows is so freaking anoing with its complicated way of working conecting and stuf... instead of conecting 2 pc with a simple cable and moving a file from one to another and be done with it you must do some softuere adjustmens and for me its easyer to open the pc-s put the hard disc as a secondary turn it on and move thefile ....

well i started with posting 2 ideas and went of with wild ideas and made a third well waterver i planted all the seed from a pepper i ate yesterday now im gona be glad if atleast one of them grows so if atleast one of those ideas comes to be a year later would be nice wouldnt it

You can already set tasks to stop when various conditions are met.

You can already set BitComet to prevent the system from entering sleep mode when any tasks are running.

If you can set your system to enter sleep mode after so much inactivity, and then to shut down after being asleep for a certain time, then you can combine all of these to do what you want.

nononoono you dont get it ... i said shut down pc forcefuly ....i want the program to forcefuly shut down pc after downloading is finished or stoped for more then a few minutes.... you se lets say i let my pc runing on my desc and i ley down for the night to sleep at first i will be able to sleep but the noice from the ventilator wil wake me up some time in the night ... many ppl put music or moovies to play wile lthey sleep well wateever... i want an option wich forcefuly shuts down everything on the pc and shuts down the pc itsself aftewards ...and this comenad to not be avoidable under diferent circumstanses like many times wen i put my pc to shut it self down meets problems with some programs wich need to be shut down by hand ... and the pc doesnt stop until you intervere yourself ... so now i shut it down by cuting the power (i dont care for it being an unhealthy way for the pc)

No software can or should be able to do that to a computer. Nobody is going to accept responsibility for loss of data or damage to the hardware by forcing a disorderly shutdown. If you want to risk your own computer and hard drive, go ahead. Just don't be surprised when it refuses to boot next day.

Me, I'd just get quieter fans.

Why don't you close by hand all the programs which you know may hang up upon shutdown time, so that BitComet can gracefully shutdown your PC when it's finished its job?

Or tweak your Windows registry, to force shutdown of all processes upon closing time.